Freddy out - Smith in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
    Exactly melon. I thought the Roosters had already tried the "Intense Coach" path with one r. stuart? Why then try that same path with Smith when it proved a miserable failure before? Additionally, the clubs that Smith had previously coached were glad to see the back of him for various reasons which tells me he isn't the right choice for the Roosters.

Not happy either.
    Ricky and Smith might both be intense but they are very different coaches. Smith has a resume that includes building success at each of the clubs he has coached at. While he has never won a premiership he builds clubs to a point where they are in a position to.

He is also a bloody clever football mind - which I am not sure Ricky is.

Finally, Ricky's biggest legacy is destroying halfbacks because they are unable to do what he could as a player. Smith builds teams.

Given that we stuffed up the Bennet recruitment, I can't think of a better choice for our club right now.

Smith is a grown up and god knows a few grown ups around this joint wouldn't go astray.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
      Yes Gus rebuilt the club. But it was quite clear he was never going to get us into or let alone win a gf. His teams were built around buys (Barnhill & Gourlay to name a few) that went missing when the blow torch was applied in the big end of season games. It was clear thes buys were very good players but did not bleed RW&B or for each other in the way required to win it all. It was Murray's promotion of youngsters that came through our system that led to our ultimate success.

Minichiello
      Hegarty
      Flannery
      Crocker
      and others
      3 of those 4 players were recruited when Gould was at the club. Murray only had to select them in first grade, not pick them as teenagers and develop them like Gould did.

As for Gourley and Barnhill, they were welcome additions to the club as opposed to the rubbish we had prior to that.
      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Given that we stuffed up the Bennet recruitment, I can't think of a better choice for our club right now.
        Exactly. We are a rabble and need serious change

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
          The Eternal Brisdesmaid.

Intense. Too intense. He'll **** some young heads.

Not happy.
          Harsh melon! He's changed his ways since the Parra and early Newcastle days where he became an absolute nutter pretty much stalking his own players.

I think it's the perfect time for a guy like Smith, he's closing in on his coaching peak IMO.

Comment

IMO this is a good move, we will have a young side next year that Smith can work with. We also have a shit culture with in our club that also needs to change, Smith will change a lot of this. Sure, we may not win a premiership with him, but he will re build this club for the better. I'm sure he will piss off a few high profile yet underperforming players, it could be painful process for the players that the club is about to embark upon, but one that is DESPERATELY needed....

Comment

Dont know what to make of it..
              Hopefully the positives outweigh the negatives..

Comment

Working...
              X