• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait till we lose our first game next year. You’ll
    all be hating on him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

And if Trent has another underperforming season, it should negate the "we dont have anyone to replace him" chorus line.
      Spot on Jack.
      Astute forecasting from the Godfather.

Comment

Holbrook is someone whose level of coaching is that of an assistant coach. Sometimes folk are just not cut out to be a head coach.

Barrett and Kearney and even Pay are examples of this - good at their assistant coach roles but not as a Head Coach.

Coach Robinson has naught to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
          Wait till we lose our first game next year. You’ll
          all be hating on him.

We always lose our first game though (in the last few seasons of course) ?

That's standard operating procedure

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post

I’m not comparing anyone, you just said established.

You don’t think Stephen Kearney is an established coach?
            I do however Kearney wouldn’t be looked at now as a head coach, he is purely an assistant whereas you have Justin who is still attracting offers of a head coach.. will he last the 3 years as an assistant? We will see.

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post
              Holbrook is someone whose level of coaching is that of an assistant coach. Sometimes folk are just not cut out to be a head coach.

Barrett and Kearney and even Pay are examples of this - good at their assistant coach roles but not as a Head Coach.

i tend to agree. jason taylor also in that mould. time will tell about fitzy. i mean i don't know, maybe holbrook could make a fist of the top job but there's nothing wrong with being ron massey

Comment

This is utter bullshiit. Holbrook was head coach at St Helens and won 70 from 87 games over 3 years
                Holbrook took over the Titans who came LAST the year before and took them to 9th,
                then he got them in the finals his 2nd year, and we FLUKED a win over them.
                Gold Coast have always been a fringe team and he probably did as well as anyone would have.
                I think he will be a huge help to us and he might just get Trent to come back from pixieland.

Comment

[QUOTE=King Salvo;n1018372]Holbrook is someone whose level of coaching is that of an assistant coach. Sometimes folk are just not cut out to be a head coach.

[/QUOTE

Was ‘Head coach identification’ one of the subjects in Wock’s coaching course?

Comment

Originally posted by ChookMaster View Post

I do however Kearney wouldn’t be looked at now as a head coach, he is purely an assistant whereas you have Justin who is still attracting offers of a head coach.. will he last the 3 years as an assistant? We will see.
                    If the argument is Robinson shoudn’t sign Holbrook because he wont see out his contract then fine, I understand the logic.

Your original argument however was that the likes of Bellamy and Bennett don’t need help from established coaches, as if you’re less of a coach for seeking help from someone who has established themselves as a head coach in Rugby League.

Comment

[QUOTE=Noosa Rooster;n1018405]

[/QUOTE

Was ‘Head coach identification’ one of the subjects in Wock’s coaching course?
                      Of Course not but the Wokster I recall was a different character away from the game though.

There is no blue print in what a Head Coach should be and or a Coaching School churning out ready made Head Coaches

Gold Coast is a Head Coach graveyard one has to say and anyone considering taking on that role as their first appointment as Head Coach should think long and hard - Holbrook may look back and think should I have taken this role.

There are at least 2 types of Head Coaches - One that Delegates and relies a lot on their Assistant Coaches and one that is very hands on and autocratic.

Coach Robinson is the former so Assistant Coach Holbrook won't be filling a role because they have to fill it.

Comment

I thought Dean Pay did more with half the talent then what their last couple of coaches have done.

Comment

It's pissed off the dog fans so I'm happy.

Comment

[QUOTE=King Salvo;n1018420]
                            Originally posted by Noosa Rooster View Post

Of Course not but the Wokster I recall was a different character away from the game though.

There is no blue print in what a Head Coach should be and or a Coaching School churning out ready made Head Coaches

Gold Coast is a Head Coach graveyard one has to say and anyone considering taking on that role as their first appointment as Head Coach should think long and hard - Holbrook may look back and think should I have taken this role.

There are at least 2 types of Head Coaches - One that Delegates and relies a lot on their Assistant Coaches and one that is very hands on and autocratic.

Coach Robinson is the former so Assistant Coach Holbrook won't be filling a role because they have to fill it.

Same could be said about the Warriors but Webster has done a great job so far.

Also, GC was not Holbrook’s first head coaching gig. He had runs on the board before taking that position and the Titans were developing nicely under him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
                              It's pissed off the dog fans so I'm happy.
                              Agree. Hope it’s done the same to Gould as well.

Comment

Feeling old-i played against Holbrook a few times 40 odd years ago in the Canterbury juniors.

He was major success in Super League- for me there is no doubt he could be a stand alone first grade coach in the NRL.

He is great mates with Robbo- he won't be asking for a early release even if targeted by other clubs- he is of the Fitzgibbon type mould

Comment

Working...
                                X