• Show
Clear All

• Brandon Smith skips mid season review, club issues breach notice

Smith issued breach notice after skipping Roosters’ mid-season review

ByMichael Chammas

June 9, 2024 — 3.41pm
    Save

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
    Brandon Smith’s future at the Roosters is up in the air after the club issued him with a breach notice for failing to turn up to the team’s mid-season review on Monday.

The Roosters held a series of review meetings the day after the team’s disappointing loss to North Queensland at Allianz Stadium. Smith, however, did not turn up to the meetings and was subsequently breached by the club for missing the review.

It is unclear whether he will be named to play for the Roosters when they return from the bye against Parramatta at CommBank Stadium next Saturday night.

Sources with knowledge of the situation talking under the condition of anonymity in order to speak freely told this masthead that Smith later informed club officials that he was unaware the meeting was scheduled.

Club officials tried to contact Smith during the meeting on multiple occasions but he did not respond until later, informing the Roosters that he did not have his phone on him.

“It was a mistake from my end,” Smith said when contacted on Sunday afternoon.
    Roosters hooker Brandon Smith.CREDIT:GETTY

“I was out with family and didn’t realise it was on. I take responsibility for that.”

Sources say that senior figures at the club are frustrated with Smith and are now weighing up his future at the club.
    Smith recently took up an option in his favour to remain at the club in 2025. The deal is believed to be worth about $850,000 next season.

Robinson is under increasing pressure from within the club to keep Smith on the straight and narrow following concerns over his commitment.
    Brandon Smith with his teammates earlier in the season.CREDIT:GETTY

He joined the club from Melbourne last year but struggled for form as he tried to adapt to a new team and new city. Smith has been better for the Roosters to start 2024 but there remains uncertainty over his position at the club.

Coach Trent Robinson did not respond to attempts to contact him on Sunday.

The club gave players a few days off last week but wanted all of them in for a review before they headed their separate ways. The review looked at the loss to the Cowboys, but also a wider look back at the first 13 rounds of the season leading into the bye.

Robinson has traditionally conducted a mid-season review to give his players an insight and understanding of what improvements need to be made leading into the finals.

The Roosters have won seven of their first 13 games and sit inside the top eight.

That’s all we need. It will be interesting to see whether this affects his selection for the next game.

Comment

Unfortunately there is noise about town that there more significant issues with Smith than this. If things continue he may not be with us next year

Comment

It’s the easiest thing to do from a player point of view to get out of a contract. Maybe he resigned & now after figuring out we are mid pack at best he wants out where it’s less work for him. Players these days just know they need to miss a session here & there or put on a few kg & then they get to choose where they go. Always crap decisions having player clauses as in my entry’s he hasn’t deserved to be kept on anyway as he’s done little for such a high price tag & he’s also not a leader in any capacity.

Comment

He does seem to have an attitude problem and comes across as its my way or the highway.
          I don't buy the excuse he didn't have his phone with him, I don't know anyone who ever leaves their phone unattended or at home and especially anyone under 30.

We are overpaying him for the way he is playing, he doesn't see to fit into the Roosters way.
          He has improved this season but still well down on a player on the coin he is receiving, is this a way to cut him loose.
          Hopefully he gets a wake up call and puts in to star in our premiership win this season.

Comment

Could be a whole lot of nothing, but disappointing if he deliberaely missed it. Not sure how they'll prove it one way or another.

I'd actually be a little surprised if he did miss it on purpose. He has a brain-fade in him, but listening to him speak on the podcast with James Graham, he's certainly bloody competitive.

Comment

In hindsight, just not a good fit for our Club and for the price that we are paying.
              Maybe time to part ways and find an 80 minute hooker that is better value

Comment

$850k a year and he can’t even organise his day/week. Unbelievable.
                Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

I think the cheese has his tipping point,.

Comment

Really getting our value out of kicking verrills out of the club for this sack of shit

Comment

Have been saying for a while this team had a massive Brandon Smith problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post
                        That’s all we need. It will be interesting to see whether this affects his selection for the next game.
                        If Watson is fit he should be the starting hooker.

Comment

Over Brandon. Questionable signing to begin with and has never fit our style or culture. He's just got that "I get paid and I'm just here for a good time vibe" about him.

I'd be happy to see him go ... don't really care who we go after, Watson can fill that role or Tyler Moriarty and we can put that money to better use like an outside back or two.

This is how I see it ... Jeremy Marshall-King to follow Wayne to Souffs, Cook to either be utility or find another club (maybe Superleague) and Smith to head to the Dolphins.

There's also an added rumour floating around that this training session mishap isn't the only issue but more of a crutch (excuse) for the club to come down hard as his "gambling" issues have become an apparent distraction and problem again. There's rumours that he has borrowed money from other players and he's struggling to pay them back, etc.
                          Last edited by DP1990; 06-09-2024, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Alternative take - he was out with his family and wasn't taking calls, including the one saying 'we are doing a mid-season review'. He's been chastised, received his feedback over the phone, has reflected and we're all gonna move forward from this one off scenario.

Comment

He didn't have his phone?
                              Check what towers he was pinging off, or clubs

Comment

Working...
                              X