Milking penalties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post

The problem is they can't prove it mate.
    Im referring to the obvious ones. But considering some of the bunker interventions (such as jwh on Matterson) it really wouldn’t work cause the bunker is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Chook2 View Post
      Parra embarrass themselves and the ref took it as well
      apart form lane and jwh sin bin, Manu on tuilagi where he his his chest, matterson stayed down from jwh and their was plenty of others as well which they tried to stay down
      while we copped a couple and got up straight away

the only way this stops is nrl enforce the player to go off for a HIA check and I’m sure they will stop laying down so they don’t get taken off themselves - coaches will be then making sure they don’t start acting again

honestly last night was as bad as a soccer game
      Yes the other part that frustrated me was that I saw 3 or 4 swinging arms knock Toops/Teddy on the chin with zero penalty.

Parra were grubby. Instead of calling them out and letting them lost 50-0, the refs took it as their duty to give Parra a leg-up.

Mark my word though... if we were doing swinging arms like Parra, we woulda had at least 2-3 extra sin-bins called against us and players awaiting punishments of 2-3 weeks on the sideline. I can only sympathise with Parra's position on the ladder so much after they've sacked their coach mid-season. It's their own doing for not getting onto such things EARLIER (and maybe signing Bennett before Souffs had sacked their coach... FFS... there's a reason why some teams are shyte and it's not our problem to deal with when the refs feel sorry for them!!!!)
      Last edited by ism22; 06-16-2024, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Another deterrent is to name and shame - maybe a new segment on the Matty Johns Show for the “milkers” of the week and keep a running tally.

This will call them out and soon enough it should have the intended effect.

Comment

Originally posted by mightyrooster View Post
          Would have been sent off if Lindsay had stayed down like I can guarantee most other clubs’ players would have done in those circumstances.
          IMO what's cr@p is that if you are sent off, it doesn't really reduce your punishment. There's some tiiiiny benefit that you get but (for example) Sua'ali'i essentially got more than 5 weeks as he had pretty much a full game out (with his side having to play the whole thing woth 12 men) plus 4 weeks on top of that.

I reckon that those who have been sent off during a game should have their punishment halved as they've already done time. This way if the refs miss things, players get punished harder to compensate for the fact their actions when unpenalised.

Comment

It's a great tactic against us cause refs love any reason at all to penalise us so it makes it easier, it's smart.

Comment

Ref should be allowed to say: " get up you gronk ".

J Hughes from the Storm did it against the Warriors last night.

Comment

Originally posted by TK1990 View Post
                On the flip side, should we lower ourselves to their level and try fishing ourselves? Integrity is great, but when we’re consistently losing penalty counts week in week out and we’re one of the only teams that doesn’t fish for penalties, it’s not a coincidence.
                The penalties we cop completely change the momentum of games, and influence results. It would be nice to get the rub of the whistle for once.
                Either that, or that flog Annesley needs to have a spine on a Monday morning and say that the referees won’t succumb to fishing, instead of the usual ‘oh, oops, we got that wrong, lol’ garbage we have to endure every week.
                No we should not. Having a culture like we do that says I'll never lay down and be a fake is worth so much more than the odd penalty here and there. Leave that shit to the clubs that have shit cultures and no integrity. Parramatta haven't won a comp in 40 years. Keep laying down boys. See where it gets you.

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post

IMO what's cr@p is that if you are sent off, it doesn't really reduce your punishment. There's some tiiiiny benefit that you get but (for example) Sua'ali'i essentially got more than 5 weeks as he had pretty much a full game out (with his side having to play the whole thing woth 12 men) plus 4 weeks on top of that.

I reckon that those who have been sent off during a game should have their punishment halved as they've already done time. This way if the refs miss things, players get punished harder to compensate for the fact their actions when unpenalised.
                  I think you need to rephrase that comment.

Other than "during a game", when can a player be sent off?

I get that you probably mean sent off early in a game, but where does one mark the line in the sand?
                  1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
                  1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
                    Roosters on the wrong end of another cricket score penalty/6A count - 13-7. And looking at the reasons last night for the penalties referred to in this thread, nobody can seriously claim it's all because of our "poor discipline".

We now lead the penalties conceded in the NRL by a long, long margin, with 99. Next closest is bulldogs on 81, almost twenty less. And playing them next week, we can expect the differential to increase again.
                    I fear you might be right.
                    1985: 1 try vs Parramatta, 1 try vs Manly, 1 try vs Wests, 2 tries vs Souffs
                    1986: 2 tries vs Illawarra, 1 try vs Balmain, 2 tries vs Norths.

Comment

I think players being sent off for a mandatory HIA isn’t really a fix. James Graham has been harping on about it, but I’m sure you could abuse this to get free interchanges, and also, sometimes the penalty would definitely be worth it.

I was wondering if we could have another, separate challenge system. You get one challenge a game where you can check specifically for foul play in a tackle. Chicken wings, high, etc. You can use that if you’ve had a genuine foul play committed against you, but once you lose the challenge, you need to play the ball within 10 seconds or it’s a change-over - unless you’re obviously severely incapacitated.

Something along those lines I think is the only way to stop it. At the moment, there is just no deterrent.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveTheWorld View Post
                        I think players being sent off for a mandatory HIA isn’t really a fix. James Graham has been harping on about it, but I’m sure you could abuse this to get free interchanges, and also, sometimes the penalty would definitely be worth it.

I was wondering if we could have another, separate challenge system. You get one challenge a game where you can check specifically for foul play in a tackle. Chicken wings, high, etc. You can use that if you’ve had a genuine foul play committed against you, but once you lose the challenge, you need to play the ball within 10 seconds or it’s a change-over - unless you’re obviously severely incapacitated.

Something along those lines I think is the only way to stop it. At the moment, there is just no deterrent.
                        This happened to Kyle Flanagan today, got a small love tap, stayed down, got the penalty, and then had to go for a HIA, DCE was giving it to him as he ran off.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

This happened to Kyle Flanagan today, got a small love tap, stayed down, got the penalty, and then had to go for a HIA, DCE was giving it to him as he ran off.
                          Could certainly work in some contexts, but if it’s 18-18 and I’m in Front of the posts with 2 minutes to go, players will obviously still dive and milk. And forwards can still easily use this for an interchange etc.

Ironic of DCE though, as Manly have done ample milking over the years. Their first game against us last year springs to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Batemans Bay Rooster View Post

No we should not. Having a culture like we do that says I'll never lay down and be a fake is worth so much more than the odd penalty here and there. Leave that shit to the clubs that have shit cultures and no integrity. Parramatta haven't won a comp in 40 years. Keep laying down boys. See where it gets you.
                            Yeah IMO it speaks for your culture.

- Parra when down = start lying down trying to milk penalties in the hope the ref will get them over the line.

- Easts when down = stick to your plan and try to beat the farkers.

Cheaters will occasionally get a win outta milking penalties but we still got the win against Parra last night and I don't think that becoming a bunch of milkers would help our prospects.

18-18 in a GF and a guy clips you on the chin with their fingernail on the last play... sure. One might put on some showmanship for the occasion. However Parra were a disgrace last night to the point where I think the ref really needed to say 'your body language is telling me that you want that tackle reviewed... wanna use a challenge?!? Ph right, you blew your challenge! Sorry mate, nothing I can do!!!' What bothers me is how they get emotionally manipulated into doing anything other than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Swamptrout View Post
                              The one that P1ssed me off was the JWH bin. The bloke refused to play the ball until the ref / bunker did something.
                              What an embarrassment..

Comment

Originally posted by BraveTheWorld View Post

A great suggestion BTW, but my preference would be to have the Bunker LESS involved in games going forward!

Comment

Working...
                                X