• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYDNEY ROOSTERS v CANTERBURY BULLDOGS

ROOSTERS SQUAD v BULLDOGS

Round 16 - 5:30pm, Saturday 22nd June
    Industree Group Stadium, Gosford

I find it a little difficult to get a read on last weeks game. The Eels are not a bad side, and on their day they will trouble anyone, especially at home. We played great for the first 20, but then their offloads started to kill us ... either we just stopped committing in the tackles, or they really upped their game. Maybe a bit of both.

Ultimately, it was a valuable 2 points for us, and we sit in 5th, just one win from the top 4. Interestingly, the Dolphins host the Storm on Friday night. A Storm win would see us with a chance to enter the 4. We are crazy odds to win this week, considering the players we have out. The Dogs are not a bad side, and only have Stephen Crichton in the Origin sides. Their defence is well organised, but they can struggle to score points. It's a winnable game, but it won't be a walk over. After a poor start to taking games to Gosford, the Roosters have won their past four games at Industree Group Stadium, and nine of their past 11 games against the Bulldogs.

With our Origin reps on duty this week, so we are missing some serious grunt from our pack. That said, there's still plenty of talent on display. Having Teddy is a bonus, but I'm going put a caveat on that ... he tends to overplay his hand when we're down a few troops, and can actually stifle our backs. I'd prefer to see him trust the guys that have come in and let things play out as normal. Otherwise our genuine strike weapons like Manu, Toops & Young will be starved of good ball. Speaking of Manu, I'm hoping for a big game from him ... he was disappointing against the Cows. The Cheese is also back from the naughty corner. We need him on his game this week. His punch through the ruck will go a long way to off-setting the missing guys. At least we know that Sandon will get some decent game time this time around.
    Wong, Tupouniua and Steep* all come in to the side. King is 18th man. If he gets a run, hembecomes Rooster #1232.
    I'd like to see Whyte used in the prop rotation for his second stint, with Wong covering lock. (As opposed to Wong being used at prop, even though he's been playing there in Reggies.)

Game 114 without our best 17.

I'm expecting a tough game, but as we approach the business end of the season, I also expect to see us begin steeling ourselves for September. We generally build into a season, performing stronger in the back end. We are in a better position at this point in the season than we've been for quite a while. Hopefully that bodes well for Top 4 finish. This is exactly the type of game we MUST win if we are to accomplish that.

***I'm hoping for nothing silly from JWH this week. If he stays on the field, Jazz will equal Aubbo's record of 306 games for the Roosters next week against the Tigers. He should then break it in Rnd 19 against the Dragons, becoming the most capped player in our 116+ year history.***

Roosters by 8

GO EASTS !!

ROOSTERS:

1. Teddy
    2. Tupou
    3. Pauga
    4. Manu
    5. Young
    6. Keary
    7. Walker
    8. JWH
    9. Smith, B
    10. May
    11. Butcher, N
    12. Radley
    13. Whyte

INTERCHANGE:
    14. Smith, Sandon
    15. Steep*
    16. Tupouniua
    17. Wong

RESERVES:
    18. King
    19. Napa
    20. Moriarty
    21. Savala
    22. Foketi

* Blake Steep (along with De La Salle Va'a and Jake Elliott) was named in the U19's SOO to be played on Thursday night (7:45pm on Nine, Fox etc). If he plays that game, he will have to back up 2 days later, barring injury.

Last edited by Waylander; 06-18-2024, 05:22 PM.

Interesting that they have named Steep must of got clearance from the NRL to pull him from the Junior SOO game, also don't see that forward pack starting the game would expect Whyte to drop back to the bench and Radley to lock with either Wong or Tupouniua to start.

Comment

If we don’t beat these muppets comfortably on Saturday then something must be up..

Even without our Origin players we still look a way better side on paper,also revenge for last game where they jumped us early and went on to win!

I wish the game was at Allianz but this is life,we need to win this game!

Comment

Listening to Brandon smiths comments on the bye round this morning I was more than a little concerned. He’s talking about wake up calls and needing to mature. The guy is what 28? I’m concerned he gets exhausted after one set. I was so excited when we signed him but he’s probably had 3 or 4 great games.

Comment

I want to see Mahoney get smashed. Legally of course.

Comment

BULLDOGS

1 Connor Tracey
            2 Jeral Skelton
            3 Bronson Xerri
            4 Jacob Kiraz
            5 Blake Wilson
            6 Matt Burton
            7 Toby Sexton
            8 Max King
            9 Reed Mahoney
            10 Samuel Hughes
            11 Josh Curran
            12 Jaeman Salmon
            13 Bailey Hayward

Interchange
            14 Jake Turpin
            15 Poasa Faamausili
            16 Kurtis Morrin
            17 Lipoi Hopoi

Reserves
            19 Drew Hutchison
            20 Blake Taaffe
            21 Eli Clark
            22 Harry Hayes
            23 Viliame Kikau

Comment

Originally posted by Lydon View Post
              If we don’t beat these muppets comfortably on Saturday then something must be up..

Even without our Origin players we still look a way better side on paper,also revenge for last game where they jumped us early and went on to win!

Kikau destroyed us last meeting if he is fit to go from that broken finger he will be a real headache also don't have a lot of confidence being able to handle Burton's bombs which we have also made a complete mess of in recent meetings with the Dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bondi spy View Post
                Listening to Brandon smiths comments on the bye round this morning I was more than a little concerned. He’s talking about wake up calls and needing to mature. The guy is what 28? I’m concerned he gets exhausted after one set. I was so excited when we signed him but he’s probably had 3 or 4 great games.
                Yes listening to him was a little concerning I must say,I can’t see how this guy changes..

I think it’s time we move on from him to be honest..

Comment

I highly doubt Steep is playing given he is playing 19's Origin on Thursday night. Possibly a smokescreen for another debutant - Salesi Foketi most likely given he is the only rookie forward on the extended bench. Or we've pulled him out of the Origin game.

Comment

The bulldogs haven’t let any team beat them comfortably since round 2, they have only just lost to the Storm and panthers too.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post

The bulldogs haven’t let any team beat them comfortably since round 2, they have only just lost to the Storm and panthers too.
                      Yes I understand that,but I feel after the way they jumped us last game we will be ready this time..

Just have a feeling we win well!

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

Kikau destroyed us last meeting if he is fit to go from that broken finger he will be a real headache also don't have a lot of confidence being able to handle Burton's bombs which we have also made a complete mess of in recent meetings with the Dogs.
                        Yes fair point,but last time we played them the weather was atrocious and a nightmare for players trying to catch bombs!

We will be a different proposition this week!

Comment

Strong side with the origin boys however, I would move Radley to lock, either Wong or Sitili to an edge and Whyte back to the bench.
                          That will give the bench more punch when the starting forwards go off. Wong struggled off the bench last time we played the dogs.

Comment

Putting aside their origin players the bulldogs have a few big outs this week as well. I’m expecting us to put them away.
                            EASTS TO WIN!

Comment

Make no mistake, Bulldogs are one of the form teams in the competition and have been looking very good. They're a lot tougher than they've been in previous seasons, too.

I can't believe the odds, considering who we have out. They are without Kikau, Crichton and Addo-Carr though. Should be a compelling game.

Would have to say our bench looks better.

Comment

Working...
                              X