Has Fittler failed because of age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Fittler failed because of age?

I found this interesting article which suggests that Brad Fittler and Ivan Clearly aren't going well because of age. Have a read of it.

Are these coaches just too young?
    Steve Kilgallon | July 19, 2009
    www.leaguehq.com.au

A LEADING sports psychologist has a novel explanation for why the Roosters and the Warriors sit at the foot of the NRL table: their coaches aren't old enough.

New Zealander Craig Lewis, who helped guide the Kiwis to the 2005 Tri-Nations title, has studied the ages of the 16 NRL coaches and concluded that clubs should seek older coaches if they want to be successful.

"In the NRL today, it seems there might not be any substitute for time on this Earth," Lewis said.

After round 18, the teams led by the six youngest NRL coaches occupy the positions of 16th to 10th on the ladder (the only exception was the 11th-placed Wests Tigers and their ultra-experienced coach Tim Sheens). The average age of the coaches at the helm of the eight sides in play-off slots was 48 years 11 months, while for the bottom eight it was 43 - nearly a six-year age gap.

The Roosters' Brad Fittler (37 years and five months) is the NRL's youngest coach. His side is running last.Yesterday it was revealed he would be replaced by 55-year-old Brian Smith as Roosters coach next season.

The second-youngest coach, Ivan Cleary (38 years and four months), is in charge of the 13th-placed Warriors, who meet the Roosters in Sydney today.

Lewis said a lack of experience often translated into a lack of man-management skills.

"That each of these 16 men understands the technicalities of rugby league shouldn't be questioned, but do they all understand the intricacies associated with leadership and the business of people?"

Lewis said many key leadership skills - reflection, a commitment to continuous improvement, identifying one's own skills and developing a unique style - were learnt over time, after a lengthy apprenticeship. Lewis suspects that neither Cleary nor Fittler has had formal training in motivating their players.

"I suspect that's their problem," he said. "I've little doubt both have an intricate knowledge of how the game is played but in sport it's the little things that matter - the things that can transcend performance beyond what could be realistically achieved through a mere knowledge of the game.

"Leadership is a work in progress - it's definitely not a finished product.

"It's a vision built and developed over several years. Doing your time is a common trait amongst most of history's great leaders."

He cited two examples: the former Kiwi coach Brian McClennan, whose tremendous confidence was built on a long apprenticeship; and the legendary American football coach Vince Lombardi, who also waited a long time for a senior post. Lombardi was 47 when he finally took on the Green Bay Packers, having begun coaching a school team at 31 and getting his first professional job as an assistant at the New York Giants when he was 44.

"Mine has been an apprenticeship of trial, error, modification, refinement and advancement - the very same apprenticeship experienced by most high-achieving leaders in business and sport," Lewis said.

"Leaders serving an apprenticeship are in a constant phase of learning, developing their strategic appreciation, their systematic thinking style and their approaches to people management as they go."

More a lack of maturity I'd say which isn't neccessarily because of age.
    Last edited by Lauren; 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I'd hazard a guess its more a lack of experience, which unfortunately, will come with age I guess. Think what a great coach these young blokes could be in 20 years time. They all have to start somewhere

Comment

I reckon it'd have more to do with the age of the players.

Comment

Agreed BigFella.

How many players in our top squad were born before 1985?

Nick Kouparitsas (1984)
          Braith Anasta (1982)
          Craig Fitzgibbon (1977)
          Willie Mason (1980)
          Anthony Minichiello (1980)
          Mark O'Meley (1981)
          Lopini Paea (1984)
          Shane Shackleton (1982)

8 players only. Also factor in:

- Anthony Minichiello, since the 2005 season, has only played 27 games combined due to injury
          - Shane Shackleton only became a regular first grader in 2006, but missed most of 2008 due to injury
          - Lopini Paea has only been a first grade regular since 2007
          - Nick Kouparitsas has only been a first grade regular since 2007

So 4 of our oldest players aren't really as experienced as they should be. Shack, Paea and Kouparitsas are all relatively late bloomers, while Mini has missed a tonne of footy. Mason, O'Meley and Anasta have been down on form too...

That is our issue. The biggest issue.

Comment

mentioned something very similar recently Mack. but hey its easier to blame the bulldogs recruits than actually see logic.

Comment

I think it is something that people tend to look over though. Our 8 most experienced players, and half of them aren't anywhere near as experienced as they should be for their age.

Comment

and ALL of them have been injured at some stage this season. we havent once played with a fully fit team

Comment

Working...
                X