2010 team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roz View Post
    I agree. Williamson was the best and i mean best back when he played Aust schoolboys a couple of years ago in a backline that included mortimer of parra and crocker of canberra he was scoring hatricks and killing it. He has it all and is going to be very good in first grade. My side:
    1. Towers
    2. SKD
    3. Pez
    4. Williamson
    5. Mini
    6. Carney
    7. Pearce
    8. Myles
    9. Friend
    10. FPN
    11. Mase
    12. Symonds
    13. Jaubs

14. Paea
    15. Maubs
    16. Cherro
    17. Jones

Thats my ideal team. Yes there is no braith. I cant find a spot for him as hard as it is to say. I think jaubs is hilder jnr and will play a similar role under smithy. I think the extra speed and zip around the ruck that friend at hooker and jaubs at lock will give will be imperative. Bring jones off the bench into the hooking role with his speed, skills and strong defence as well as his versatility making him the ideal utility. The backline imo looks the best like this. I think we need towers at the back as he has it all. Goal kicking, playmaking, skills and speed. I think pez needs to try and play centre. When he played centre in the past he ran good lines at holes and was a good link player however defensively, wasnt quite there. If he can get that part of his game right in the offseason then i think he is a good option.

what i think we need to get in terms of recruits would be getting rid of mase and looking at a trent waterhouse who brings the experience and workrate without such a big price tag. A new prop i think is important to. This sam burgess bloke is my first choice but i will maintain that matt scott is the one bargain prop that would be more than handy. If we were to get scott then move maubs into lock, scott onto the bench and have jaubs and jones jostling for the utility spot.

I have gone out on a limb with my side but i think it has the balance to cut it. I think waterhouse aside if we can still get scott or burgess for 2010 to slide onto the interchange or start i think that would be the final peice of the puzzle
    You cant fiond a spot for Anasta, but you found one for towers, cherrington and Jaubs? Perrett isnt a centre's arse. He is barely a winger, and a nervous fullback with a great running game not unlike Mini.

That side will get lapped. The bench is weak. We need a good mix of experience in there. Youth only takes you so far, theyll lose more than they win. Youth alone is not the answer, but just a part of the overall solution.

In my view, Anasta must be there...simply to lead by example. Otherwise these kids will get lost.

And finally....Trent Waterhouse for Mason? You are kidding. May as well sign Gai or Robbie Waterhouse.
    Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post

And finally....Trent Waterhouse for Mason? You are kidding. May as well sign Gai or Robbie Waterhouse.
      Nah sign Kate waterhouse, at least she knows what it is like to be with a rooster

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
      To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
      At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
      Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
      The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by tricolourchook View Post
        Symonds showed today he is a centre, if he gets good ball out there he will calve every1 up.
        I'd rather him in the back row, but still running out wide on the fringes. I don't think he has enough speed to be a centre. Players like Inglis, Hodges, Jennings have such good foot work and speed they will run around him all day

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
          You cant fiond a spot for Anasta, but you found one for towers, cherrington and Jaubs? Perrett isnt a centre's arse. He is barely a winger, and a nervous fullback with a great running game not unlike Mini.

That side will get lapped. The bench is weak. We need a good mix of experience in there. Youth only takes you so far, theyll lose more than they win. Youth alone is not the answer, but just a part of the overall solution.

In my view, Anasta must be there...simply to lead by example. Otherwise these kids will get lost.

i like having a balanced football side and anasta isnt really a lock. In a way his build is too big for lock and he will get lapped by little fast blokes like luke. He also doesnt have the defensive workrate to play lock and even if he did, it would detract from the rest of his game imo. Perret as an uncomfortable fullback? do you watch the games he makes almost no mistakes now and his confidence is no longer an issue as the few times he has stuffed up this year he has kept his head up and kept going. He doesnt have the speed for a fullback imo and is too small for wing as well as the speed issue so where do you put him? I agree he was defensively weak when he previously played centre but in an attacking sense he can bust tackles, has good skills and runs really good lines at gaps therefore as i said, if he can learn to defend then he is ideal in there as he doesnt have the speed to play elsewhere

On waterhouse, i cant see your point. Big, strong, aggressive, mobile, minutes and experience. The only half decent expreienced backrowers in the comp are waterhouse, heighington, odonnell, gallen, ryan and thats about it. Heighington signed on longterm with wests so take him out, gallen would never come nor would ryan so you are left with odonnel and waterhouse. Waterhouse would be the easiest and cheapest of the two as penrith have a plethora of depth in the backrow like everywhere else on the field because of there junior depth.

I agree my bench is a little weak but jones needs to be there as the utility as he is the ideal utility so it comes down to maubs and jaubs for lock. I would also be keen on replacing sa with another creative backrower. I was one that said from the start that toops will not be a loss with sa at our club and i stand by that in the sense that on potential, footy smarts (ie less dumb offloads) and ability, sa is far far superior to toops however his attitude stinks. You can be greg inglis but if you dont want to be there, you look like crap.

Other recruitments i would make would be keiran foran from manly instead of carney only if we get gidley as others have suggested they have strong mail may happen to play fullback. Carney is a freak but foran has a great running game that would complement pearce perfectly as well as being pearces good mate and is a stronger defender than carney - less weaknesses in the side and Gidley would cover the leadership and goal kicking component. I also wouldnt mind phil graham. Injuries yes but he has the expreience, speed and strike power our backline is lacking so for the right price, he would be a good recruit imo to complement the size and strength of williamson down the right. Therefore my ideal roosters:

1. Gidley
          2. SKD
          3. Pez
          4. Williamson
          5. Graham
          6. Foran
          7. Pearce
          8. Myles
          9. Friend
          10. FPN
          11. Waterhouse
          12. Symonds
          13. Maubs/Jaubs

14. Paea
          15. Scott
          16. Cherro
          17. Jones

So id have scott instead of omeley, waterhouse instead of mase, graham instead of soli and gidley for anasta. It isnt that much less exprerienced than the current team and has a balance in terms of speed, strength, youth, experience

Comment

Anthony Minichiello
            Sam Perrett
            Mitchell Aubusson
            Ben Jones
            Shaun Kenny-Dowall
            Todd Carney (if he doesn't sign, Braith Anasta)
            Mitchell Pearce
            Lopini Paea
            Jake Friend
            Nate Myles
            Willie Mason
            Daniel Conn
            Braith Anasta (if Carney doesn't sign, Setaimata Sa)

James Aubusson
            Tom Symonds
            Anthony Cherrington
            FP Nuuausala

Either that, or start Nuuausala at prop, bring Warea-Hargreaves, Kennedy or Waqa onto the bench, shift Myles into the backrow, and drop Conn.

I would also consider putting Jones on the bench, Williamson at centre, with Jorbs dropping out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
              Anthony Minichiello
              Sam Perrett
              Mitchell Aubusson
              Ben Jones
              Shaun Kenny-Dowall
              Todd Carney (if he doesn't sign, Braith Anasta)
              Mitchell Pearce
              Lopini Paea
              Jake Friend
              Nate Myles
              Willie Mason
              Daniel Conn
              Braith Anasta (if Carney doesn't sign, Setaimata Sa)

James Aubusson
              Tom Symonds
              Anthony Cherrington
              FP Nuuausala

Either that, or start Nuuausala at prop, bring Warea-Hargreaves, Kennedy or Waqa onto the bench, shift Myles into the backrow, and drop Conn.

I would also consider putting Jones on the bench, Williamson at centre, with Jorbs dropping out.
              Yep, realistically, thats the side. id be inclined however to play maubs at lock and williamson into the centres if carney doesnt sign

Comment

I think the side I picked previously aside, its hard to leave out anasta, mini so i will pick the side i would have including a couple of new signings but including our important players like mini and BA. Best side we can field next year:
                1. Gidley
                2. SKD
                3. Pez
                4. Williamson
                5. Mini
                6. K. Foran
                7. Pearce
                8. Myles
                9. Friend
                10. FPN
                11. Mase
                12. Symonds
                13. Anasta (c)

14. Paea
                15. Scott
                16. Maubs
                17. Jones/Jaubs

By getting rid of sa, soli, omeley and fitzy you have enough funds left for scott, gidley and foran. I think scott would be a bargain buy and foran would not be over priced as has only played a couple of games with the surplus funds added onto omeleys previous hefty salary to cover the size of gidleys. My only issue with this side is mase in the backrow and pez in the centres. Mase i believe is good for the club however if we were to have injuries, having cherro and mase on each edge is a pretty big side and not mobile enough for me but thats not really the main issue. The other issue is whether he will be able to shoulder more work with no fitzy and although he has gone the 80 for us before, it seems to detract from the rest of his game so having anasta who has not played much lock there it means that symonds has to try and do a lot of work which is pressure on a young kid in his first full year of backrow and first grade.

Pez in the centres defensively could be a liability unless we get that aspect of his game right. If we can thats his best position as as i have said previously he doesnt have the pace to play elsewhere. Gidley at the back instead of carney because he covers the goal kicking and adds leadership and experience and by having gids at fullback and braith at lock, it allows mitch and keiran to control the game but if overroared you have two sold heads who have played plenty of halves there to relieve the pressure. Mini onto the wing on a reduced contract to protect his back and help williamson make the transition into firsts.

If we cant get Gids then forget foran, carney into 5/8, pez back to fullback and jones or maubs into the centres with either JWH or cherro as well as amybe kennedy and masoe into first grade

Comment

I don't see Gidley leaving Newcastle mate. I also don't see Scott signing with us.

Aside from a centre i don't really think we should shop around for big players this year. I know Brian Smith has a knack for buying cheap, underperforming players then turning them into real footballers.

Comment

After yesterday you'd have to have Symonds in the centres. My team for what it's worth.

1 Mini
                    2. Perret
                    3.Williamson
                    4. Symonds
                    5. Earl
                    6. Carney
                    7. Peace
                    13.Anasta
                    12.Mason (c)
                    11.Conn
                    10. Paea
                    9. Friend
                    8. Myles
                    Inter
                    14. Maubs
                    15. Cherrington
                    16. FPN
                    17.Cordner

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
                      I don't see Gidley leaving Newcastle mate. I also don't see Scott signing with us.

Aside from a centre i don't really think we should shop around for big players this year. I know Brian Smith has a knack for buying cheap, underperforming players then turning them into real footballers.
                      yea nor did i but considering he is coming off contract end of next year, with smith coming here and someone strongly reckons he is a chance so not saying a rumour is gospel but where there is smoke there is fire and there has been talk of gids leaving newcastle in the past so I can see why he would.

I think if gids doesnt come then yes a centre is all we need but of the more expreienced variety because we have some youngsters who will fill those spots in a few years time so we need a stop gap solution in there then with no gids, carney is logical and thats that. I hope scott will sign. I still dont think he will cost an arm and a leg but is coming into his prime as a prop is only underrated because injuries have hampered his progress recently but this year and in origin he showed his worth. A no-nonsense prop so by nature will never attract the massive bucks and i know that he was unwanted at the start of the year so dont know if that has changed. Id be going hard for him unless the money is far too much which i doubt. A prop i do think is important though for next year having lost omeley and shack

Comment

Warea-Hargreaves looks to me to have future starting prop written all over him..

Manly are filthy about this signing...

Comment

Mini
                          Perrett
                          Symonds
                          Williamson
                          SKD
                          Carney
                          Pearce
                          Myles
                          Friend
                          Paea
                          Mason
                          M.Aubs
                          Anasta

J.Aubs
                          FPN
                          JWH
                          Cherrington

Conn

There's alot of spots up for grabs. Who knows what Brian Smith will choose because for all we know he may not be thinking along the same lines as us or Fittler.

Comment

Originally posted by Geohood View Post
                            Who knows what Brian Smith will choose because for all we know he may not be thinking along the same lines as us or Fittler.
                            One can only hope

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
                              I think the side I picked previously aside, its hard to leave out anasta, mini so i will pick the side i would have including a couple of new signings but including our important players like mini and BA. Best side we can field next year:
                              1. Gidley
                              2. SKD
                              3. Pez
                              4. Williamson
                              5. Mini
                              6. K. Foran
                              7. Pearce
                              8. Myles
                              9. Friend
                              10. FPN
                              11. Mase
                              12. Symonds
                              13. Anasta (c)

14. Paea
                              15. Scott
                              16. Maubs
                              17. Jones/Jaubs

By getting rid of sa, soli, omeley and fitzy you have enough funds left for scott, gidley and foran. I think scott would be a bargain buy and foran would not be over priced as has only played a couple of games with the surplus funds added onto omeleys previous hefty salary to cover the size of gidleys. My only issue with this side is mase in the backrow and pez in the centres. Mase i believe is good for the club however if we were to have injuries, having cherro and mase on each edge is a pretty big side and not mobile enough for me but thats not really the main issue. The other issue is whether he will be able to shoulder more work with no fitzy and although he has gone the 80 for us before, it seems to detract from the rest of his game so having anasta who has not played much lock there it means that symonds has to try and do a lot of work which is pressure on a young kid in his first full year of backrow and first grade.

Pez in the centres defensively could be a liability unless we get that aspect of his game right. If we can thats his best position as as i have said previously he doesnt have the pace to play elsewhere. Gidley at the back instead of carney because he covers the goal kicking and adds leadership and experience and by having gids at fullback and braith at lock, it allows mitch and keiran to control the game but if overroared you have two sold heads who have played plenty of halves there to relieve the pressure. Mini onto the wing on a reduced contract to protect his back and help williamson make the transition into firsts.

If we cant get Gids then forget foran, carney into 5/8, pez back to fullback and jones or maubs into the centres with either JWH or cherro as well as amybe kennedy and masoe into first grade

we will get wooden spoon 2 years in a row with that team

Comment

1 karmichael hunt (okay not gonna happen)
                                2 Anthony Minichiello
                                3 Mitch Aubusson
                                4 Sisa Waqa (this is his season to shine!)
                                5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
                                6 Todd Carney
                                7 Mitchell Pearce
                                8 Lopini Paea
                                9 James Aubusson/Jake Friend
                                10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
                                11 Willie Mason
                                12 Nate Myles
                                13 Braith Anasta

Where are our weaknesses in such a team?
                                Strong in the backs (although the centres will rely on form.)
                                Halves... have Carney kicking 40/20's all day and Pearce playing like an Origin halfback.
                                Forwards... surely one of the toughest in the game (although not the most in-form.)

If Smith can get the guys fit/peaking at the right time then motivate them to be a winning team, we will surely be a serious contender with that team.

If it's over-paid, under-performing clowns, with a coach who doesn't do enough in the off-season then we can look at not only being the wooden spoon, but also being the silvertails.
                                Last edited by sirgamble; 07-21-2009, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X