• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirgamble View Post
    1 karmichael hunt
    2 Anthony Minichiello
    3 Mitch Aubusson
    4 Sisa Waqa (this is his season to shine!)
    5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
    6 Todd Carney
    7 Mitchell Pearce
    8 Lopini Paea
    9 James Aubusson
    10 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves
    11 Willie Mason
    12 Nate Myles
    13 Braith Anasta
    Hmmmm an interesting team.
    Not sure where K-Hunt came from.
    SKD instead of Sammy (out best back by a mile this year).
    No Symonds....greatest potential in the current team.
    No Friend.....second greatest potential.

I hope you aren't Smithy giving us some clues on what to look forward to.

Comment

1 karmichael hunt (okay not gonna happen)
      2 Anthony Minichiello
      3 Mitch Aubusson
      5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
      6 Todd Carney
      7 Mitchell Pearce
      8 Lopini Paea
      9 James Aubusson/Jake Friend
      11 Willie Mason
      12 Nate Myles
      13 Braith Anasta

Where are our weaknesses in such a team?
      Strong in the backs (although the centres will rely on form.)
      Halves... have Carney kicking 40/20's all day and Pearce playing like an Origin halfback.
      Forwards... surely one of the toughest in the game (although not the most in-form.)

If Smith can get the guys fit/peaking at the right time then motivate them to be a winning team, we will surely be a serious contender with that team.

If it's over-paid, under-performing clowns, with a coach who doesn't do enough in the off-season then we can look at not only being the wooden spoon, but also being the silvertails.
      Very interesting side indeed. KHunt no way put pez there instead imo. Waqa i agree is best suited to centre. His centre partner should be williamson however two big, strong, fast skillful blokes. Waqas one on one defence isnt that bad at all imo he has a pretty good technique its just playing on the wing has him found out defensively. He would be a brilliant centre but his attitude apparantly isnt the best so i think waqa, sa and skd are going to be three players that i think smithy will take under his wing from the outset and try and get the best out of. the potential in all three is there for all to see just with sa and waqa mainly attitude and for skd and also waqa positional play and understanding of the game.

Other problem with your side is the size of the pack. way too big, slow and one dimensional. Im not saying they all shouldnt be in first grade but imo, putting symonds or sa in the backrow to partner mase and braith would be idea in providing an 80min option and a skillful widerunning backrower. That would push myles up front and JWH onto the bench. I think paea should be on the bench as he is a better impact player than FPN from the bench and FPN has proven his value as a starter this year so id like to see him start up front. Other advantage of paea off the bench is interms of experience. The bench will be packed pull of inexperienced players like cherro, jwh, jones etc so bringing paea off the bench means that when the likes of mase and mylesy have a breather, paea will make sure the good work continues and the side keeps on going forward as well as being a leader when the interchange players take the field and the more expreienced ones hav a breather.

Comment

1 karmichael hunt (okay not gonna happen)
        2 Anthony Minichiello
        3 Mitch Aubusson
        5 Shaun Kenny-Dowall
        6 Todd Carney
        7 Mitchell Pearce
        8 Lopini Paea
        9 James Aubusson/Jake Friend
        11 Willie Mason
        12 Nate Myles
        13 Braith Anasta

Where are our weaknesses in such a team?
        Strong in the backs (although the centres will rely on form.)
        Halves... have Carney kicking 40/20's all day and Pearce playing like an Origin halfback.
        Forwards... surely one of the toughest in the game (although not the most in-form.)

If Smith can get the guys fit/peaking at the right time then motivate them to be a winning team, we will surely be a serious contender with that team.

If it's over-paid, under-performing clowns, with a coach who doesn't do enough in the off-season then we can look at not only being the wooden spoon, but also being the silvertails.

The only clown is you..

KHunt
        Sisa Waqa (the new Eion Crossan)..he is terrified..& you've got him in the centres....(This may well be your most retarded call...EVER)
        Carney is unconfirmed..
        Myles is a prop..
        Anasta's defensive workrate is nowhere near high enough for lock..

So there are MANY weaknesses in YOUR side..

Thank god it won't be Smith's side..

Comment

My team would be:

1. Anthony Minichiello
          2. Sam Perrett
          3. Mitch Aubusson
          4. Tom Symonds
          5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
          6. Todd Carney
          7. Mitchell Pearce
          8. Nate Myles
          9. Jake Friend
          10. Frank Paul-Nuusuala
          11. Willie Mason
          12. Setaimata Sa
          13. Braith Anasta (c)

14. Lopini Paea
          15. Anthony Cherrington
          16. Daniel Conn
          17. Ben Jones

The backline will almost be identical with this years. It's the best we've got at the moment and I'd really like to put Ryan Williamson in at centre for Symonds but I don't see Smith picking Williamson in the early rounds of the season. Symonds played really well in the centres on the weekend and really outshone his opposite number.

The halves will be Carney and Pearce. No more needs to be said.

The forward pack looks pretty strong. Myles and Nuusuala can get through a lot of work before Paea comes on and adds the impact he always does. IMO Paea is best utilised when coming off the bench. Mason can be used as a wide-running backrower and can be devastating if he is on his game. Sa on the other hand can be a ball-playing backrower, kind of in the Anthony Tupou mould. Anasta can be used as a ball-playing lock so we shouldn't be short of any skill moving the ball around.

The bench should consist of Paea, Cherrington, Conn and Jones. Aubusson shouldn't get a look until his form warrants selection again. Paea and Cherrington are impact players and can pick up the intensity when they come on.

Very good all-round team. Hopefully Smith puts together a gameplan similar to Newcastle's at the moment where the ball travels from side of the field to the other.

Comment

Originally posted by footy View Post
            My team would be:

1. Anthony Minichiello
            2. Sam Perrett
            3. Mitch Aubusson
            4. Tom Symonds
            5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
            6. Todd Carney
            7. Mitchell Pearce
            8. Nate Myles
            9. Jake Friend
            10. Frank Paul-Nuusuala
            11. Willie Mason
            12. Setaimata Sa
            13. Braith Anasta (c)

14. Lopini Paea
            15. Anthony Cherrington
            16. Daniel Conn
            17. Ben Jones

The backline will almost be identical with this years. It's the best we've got at the moment and I'd really like to put Ryan Williamson in at centre for Symonds but I don't see Smith picking Williamson in the early rounds of the season. Symonds played really well in the centres on the weekend and really outshone his opposite number.

The forward pack looks pretty strong. Myles and Nuusuala can get through a lot of work before Paea comes on and adds the impact he always does. IMO Paea is best utilised when coming off the bench. Mason can be used as a wide-running backrower and can be devastating if he is on his game. Sa on the other hand can be a ball-playing backrower, kind of in the Anthony Tupou mould. Anasta can be used as a ball-playing lock so we shouldn't be short of any skill moving the ball around.

The bench should consist of Paea, Cherrington, Conn and Jones. Aubusson shouldn't get a look until his form warrants selection again. Paea and Cherrington are impact players and can pick up the intensity when they come on.

Very good all-round team. Hopefully Smith puts together a gameplan similar to Newcastle's at the moment where the ball travels from side of the field to the other.
            good side but as i alluded to in my initiall posted team, there is not an 80min worker in the backrow which is why i initially left anasta out which wont happen in reality but is a problem we have. What do we think about turning anasta into a widerunning backrower and playing maubs at lock for the workrate? I think braith has the size and skills to operated effectively on the edges and often from 5/8 chooses to run at a gap instead of pass so we know he can break the line in those areas. i just think although playing lock will give him a creative liscence, i think the fact that he doesnt have the defensive workrate or attributes of a forward suggests that we could be found out around the ruck too often. Also, im begining to think that anasta at lock might actually get in the way of carney and pearce and we could end up with a too many cooks spoiling the broth situation. Therefore by playing on the edge of the ruck he can still have a high involvement in the game and at times can play as a 5/8 on the right side with carney on the left so that we can look to spread right before a quick spread to the left on the opposition line looking to catch them out on the overlap without exhausting our halves options on the ensuing play. It would also put a slight dent in his defensive workrate and defending him on the same side of the field as symonds means that they can almost share the defensive repsonsabilities of a backrower at times if need be. Therefore imo, the best and most well balanced backrow for us next year could be:

11. Mase
            12. Anasta
            13. Maubs

with cherro and sa jostling for the remaining impact backrow spot on the bench which will keep both on their toes. I think both will be 2 or smiths first assignments. both have massive potential but attitude and involvement problems at times which when rectified could turn them into two of the best backrowers in the comp

Comment

In all the sides listed thus far, who is Fitzgibbon's successor in the area of workrate?
              Will it be Conn, MAubs or JAubs? I can't see Anasta doing the same amount of work that Fitzy gets through and I sure as day can't see any of Sa, Mason or Cherrington filling that role either.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                In all the sides listed thus far, who is Fitzgibbon's successor in the area of workrate?
                Will it be Conn, MAubs or JAubs? I can't see Anasta doing the same amount of work that Fitzy gets through and I sure as day can't see any of Sa, Mason or Cherrington filling that role either.
                We currently don't have another Fitzy or we would be in the top 4. If Conn was another Fizty, he would be starting and playing 80 minutes for the Titans. I can't see even Smith transforming a current player into a Fitzy.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                  We currently don't have another Fitzy or we would be in the top 4. If Conn was another Fizty, he would be starting and playing 80 minutes for the Titans. I can't see even Smith transforming a current player into a Fitzy.
                  his name is boyd cornder and he has the potential to be fitzy and some. big call but he has a touch of morely and crocker about him mixed in with fitzys leadership and workrate and much more skill than fitz has. Its just a matter of time. Backrow that will win us the comp will be:

11. Cordner
                  12. Symonds
                  13. Maubs

cherro off the bench. big strong, aggressive, fast, skillful, the starting trio all have big workrates and play the 80 comfortably and cherro brings size and power off the bench. We need t bide our time till then and imo, stick it out with mase and braith in the 11 and 12 jumper till these 2 are ready. Let cherro come off the bench in the impact role as of next year and maubs to get used to the responsability and workrate at lock

Comment

Cordner turned 17 last month..you don't want to rush him into first grade expecting 40-50 tackles a game like Fitzy. Sure in 2-3 years or so alright but the kid will break down with injuries and turn into another Minichiello. I don't mind giving him a few games next year but can definitely not be in our top 25.
                    Last edited by JJ09; 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ09 View Post
                      Cordner turned 17 last month..you don't want to rush him into first grade expecting 40-50 tackles a game like Fitzy. Sure in 2-3 years or so alright but the kid will break down with injuries and turn into another Minichiello. I don't mind giving him a few games next year but can definitely be in our top 25.
                      That's my concern exactly JJ - let's not rush Boyd and break him a la SBW.
                      Roz, Boyd sounds good the way you and Mack describe him and I can't wait to see him in first grade when the time is right and his body is ready. I just don't think that will be before the 2011 season at the very earliest.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by footy View Post
                        My team would be:

1. Anthony Minichiello
                        2. Sam Perrett
                        3. Mitch Aubusson
                        4. Tom Symonds
                        5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
                        6. Todd Carney
                        7. Mitchell Pearce
                        8. Nate Myles
                        9. Jake Friend
                        10. Frank Paul-Nuusuala
                        11. Willie Mason
                        12. Setaimata Sa
                        13. Braith Anasta (c)

14. Lopini Paea
                        15. Anthony Cherrington
                        16. Daniel Conn
                        17. Ben Jones

If that is your starting backrow we will leak plenty of points early

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                          That's my concern exactly JJ - let's not rush Boyd and break him a la SBW.
                          Roz, Boyd sounds good the way you and Mack describe him and I can't wait to see him in first grade when the time is right and his body is ready. I just don't think that will be before the 2011 season at the very earliest.
                          yea thats what im saying. id like to see symonds go between centre and coming off the bench into the backrow next year before making the permanant transition to backrow taking mase's spot in 2011. When anasta's contract expires at the end of 2011 or 2012, then i would like to see boyd come in maybe off the bench initially with cherro, symonds and maubs starting in the backrow before making a starting berth his own in the manner i highlighted in my initial post.

I would be tentative to even blood him next year so all i was saying is that for a couple of years we will have to try and get maubs in there for the defence at lock and in a few years time, boyd will become fitzys ultimate replacement

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                            I don't necessarily think we'll leak that many points with that backrow. It's just about attitude and I think Smith will address that with the players. He tends to get the best out of players who don't perform to their reputation and I think he can do that with our current bunch. I really hope Mason doesn't leave, I have a feeling the bloke is turning the corner, his getting married and that will hopefully settle him down and get him playing career-best football. It's all about attitude and maturity. The players have proven themselves before, so it's not like they are not any good. 90% mental, 10% physical is a saying that comes to mind.

On Boyd Cordner, let him play out the entire season in NYC next season. He has the whole world at his feet and WILL DEFINITELY BE A FUTURE INTERNATIONAL. We just need to keep him under wraps and not expose too much to him at a young age. Let him develop a bit more, put on a bit more size, and then unleash him in 2011, and he will reach the top of the game within a couple of years.
                            Last edited by footy; 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                              Even though we have quite a few backrowers, I think that is one area Smith will fix up with either a good signing or he needs to work real hard with a couple of our lazy players in that position. Sa has to pick up his game or he will have to buy some blue boots to match his new blue jersey. I can see Smith using Symonds there. Cherri looked like he could be anything last year but injury and off-field troubles stuffed him up this year. If he can have a good off-season and stays injury free, Smith can really transform this bloke into a rep player imo.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                                Even though we have quite a few backrowers, I think that is one area Smith will fix up with either a good signing or he needs to work real hard with a couple of our lazy players in that position. Sa has to pick up his game or he will have to buy some blue boots to match his new blue jersey. I can see Smith using Symonds there. Cherri looked like he could be anything last year but injury and off-field troubles stuffed him up this year. If he can have a good off-season and stays injury free, Smith can really transform this bloke into a rep player imo.
                                Cherrington will come good next season. Has had a very disruptive season but is showing glimpses of his potential in small parts of each game, mainly his attacking prowess. He needs to work on his lateral movement in defence, although that will probably come with more game time.

Comment

Working...
                                X