Brandon Smith Great Guy not a Great Hooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brandon Smith Great Guy not a Great Hooker

I like Brandon Smith, but the facts are at the moment he is just not a top level hooker. He had one good year in 2021 starting as hooker and Harry on the bench.
    He doesn't create any attack, he is not a great defender and we all know his dummy half passing isn't always good.
    He still looks lost as to what his role is. Robbo needs to sort out how to get the best out of him.
    Does he start? Does he come off the bench? Does he run more? Obviously he is only allowed to kick the ball once in a game going forward.
    We paid for the 2021 Brandon Smith, but that's not what we have. I'm hopeful 2021 Cheese will return.

I have said before, I think the coach thought Smith was going to be the silver bullet we needed. At the moment he is not worth what he is reportedly on.

I would start him off the bench and bring him on as a loose running forward. Watson to start at 9. Whyte to 13.

Comment

His best weapon is dummy half running on a retreating or tiring defence. So far he has 5 tries in 38 games. You’d expect at least 12 right? He always looks gassed. A major disappointment so far.

Comment

Don’t know what happened in 2022 but when he announced he was coming to chooks Bellamy pushed him from hooker and dally m hooker of the year in 2021 in front of grant to a front row rotation and bench option behind grant
        for $500-$600 I would be more comfortable with his singing but hasn’t quite consistently nailed it to be on $800k
        Has had his moments but we need more then that

however the emergence of Conner Watson has reduced cheese minutes even further as robbo can’t take Watson off the field

unless a big change in performance can’t see him be re signed or at least not for that value

Comment

HOOKER off contract 2026

These are current options for when Smith finishes his current contract .

Sam Verrils must be a chance but with inexperienced half’s perhaps someone like Koroisau could be a plug and play till Moriarty is ready

Blayke Brailey, Damien Cook, Lachlan Croker, Phoenix Crossland, Tallyn Da Silva, Harry Grant, Jamie Humphreys, Apisai Koroisau, Jacob Liddle, Freddy Lussick, Reed Mahoney, Chris Randall, Jake Simpkin, Sam Verrills, Billy Walters

15 players off contract

Comment

I’d have Verrills back in an instant. He was a bad loss for us. His silky dummy half passing is an X factor. I was a big fan of Cheese signing, however he has been more disappointing than I expected.

Comment

Originally posted by The Real King View Post
              I like Brandon Smith, but the facts are at the moment he is just not a top level hooker. He had one good year in 2021 starting as hooker and Harry on the bench.
              He doesn't create any attack, he is not a great defender and we all know his dummy half passing isn't always good.
              He still looks lost as to what his role is. Robbo needs to sort out how to get the best out of him.
              Does he start? Does he come off the bench? Does he run more? Obviously he is only allowed to kick the ball once in a game going forward.
              We paid for the 2021 Brandon Smith, but that's not what we have. I'm hopeful 2021 Cheese will return.
              How much did you contribute ?

Comment

So our attack leads the comp, defensively smith is arguably as good as friendy, what are we gaining by signing another top tier hooket?

Comment

It's a like dislike thing I have with The Cheese. Currently we're all good. His focus and intensity has improved following the breach notice. I like Watson playing off the bench and giving the Cheese a spell when he's flogged.

Comment

Originally posted by OMR View Post
                    I’d have Verrills back in an instant. He was a bad loss for us. His silky dummy half passing is an X factor. I was a big fan of Cheese signing, however he has been more disappointing than I expected.

Everyone is quick to forget Verrills struggled to put two games together due to being extremely injury prone. All good having an x-factor, but no good if you play less than half the season. Smith isn’t the long term answer at 9 for this club - and nor is Verrills.

Comment

Reece Robson off contract end of 2025, I loved his toughness in SOO this year

Comment

Originally posted by King Salvo View Post

How much did you contribute ?
                        That's all you took out of it? I never had a problem with you, but I can see why others do.

Comment

It’s hard to dislike Cheese.. but he is definitely not worth the coin. He’s decent, but haven’t been the game breaker that we all thought he’d be..

Comment

Originally posted by The Real King View Post

That's all you took out of it? I never had a problem with you, but I can see why others do.
                            Ohhh interesting..it's a clash of the 2 Kings.

Who will prevail? This kingdom is only big enough for one king.

King Salvo has become very predictable & boring lately. Has lost his mojo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigCok007 View Post
                              So our attack leads the comp, defensively smith is arguably as good as friendy, what are we gaining by signing another top tier hooket?
                              i don't see Cheese playing 80mins and making 60 tackles....so your comparison is weird

Comment

Working...
                              X