X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shannon McDonnell hopes to join Smith again one day

Shannon McDonnell hopes to join Smith again one day
    BY ROBERT DILLON

KNIGHTS fullback Shannon McDonnell hopes this will not be his last season playing under Brian Smith's coaching.

McDonnell joined the Knights in May after securing a release from Wests Tigers and has struck up an immediate affinity with Smith, who will be linking with the Roosters at season's end.

McDonnell is yet to decide where he will play next year but denied he was considering joining Smith at Bondi Junction.

"Obviously I've loved my time with Brian Smith since I've been here and I really like the way he coaches," McDonnell said. "I really respect him. He gives you a lot of free rein and he's been good for me, so I definitely hope it's not the last time I work for Brian Smith in my career.

"In saying that, I haven't made any plans to chase him to the Roosters or anything like that.

"But I definitely would like to work with Brian again."

The respect is obviously mutual, judging by Smith's comments at a media conference yesterday.

"Shannon's a terrific young man who's really fitted into our club. The boys love him and I've got to say I love coaching him," Smith said.

"I think he's a really good competitor, he's fun to be around, and he's done the business on the field, which is the bit that matters.

"Doing well enough to make us consider using Kurt [Gidley] in another position shows the really high standard that he's got to in recent weeks."

Asked whether he would like to take McDonnell to the Roosters, Smith replied: "I haven't thought about that."

McDonnell's agent, Steve Gillis, indicated there had been interest from rival clubs in his 21-year-old client but "none whatsoever" from the Roosters.

"I've had a look at the Roosters' roster, and they've got Sam Perrett and Anthony Minichiello, who are both internationals, so they're a bit top-heavy," Gillis said.

Meanwhile, Smith has laughed off claims by Roosters coach Brad Fittler that Newcastle "sacrificed" last week's game against Manly to focus on tomorrow night's clash at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

"I am convinced he sacrificed a possible win against Manly by resting [Jarrod] Mullen and [Kurt] Gidley and I expect them to be back against us and 100 per cent," Fittler said.

Smith indicated he did not take Fittler's comments seriously, saying, "Freddy's either sitting back having a good old laugh" or "he's trying to find an edge".

Great acceleration. He'd make a good winger although he is a bit on the short side.

Comment

i wouldn't mind having him in the team, great speed and acceleration

the one thing we are missing right now with the departure of Roberts is speed.. [not the drug]

Now that i've thought of it.. our backline is surely the slowest in the NRL?

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post
        i wouldn't mind having him in the team, great speed and acceleration

the one thing we are missing right now with the departure of Roberts is speed.. [not the drug]

Now that i've thought of it.. our backline is surely the slowest in the NRL?
        id take him
        him & mini would be great wingers for us
        probably

Comment

All I want Smith to bring is a workhorse secondrower or frontrower.

Chris Houston or Steve Simpson maybe, they would be good replacements for Fitzgibbon - Houston as a long term option, and Simpson as an experienced option.

Myles
          Friend
          Paea
          Mason
          Houston/Simpson
          Anasta

...a bit better, definitely.

Comment

Mack, why import when we already have good young forwards on the books?

Maubs or Symonds could easily fill the spot you've given to Houston/Simpson. And under Smith's guidance they could easily become as good a player as either of those.

Steve Simpson is a crock nowdays - he misses more games through injury than he plays.

We are not lacking forwards. What we are lacking is backs, which is why we have forwards masquerading as centres.

I would welcome Shannon McDonnell rather than Simpson or Houston any day. I'm sure he could play centre or wing and he's a far better option than what we currently have. If we're really lucky he could manage to catch a high ball or two and make a reasonably forceful tackle. That would be an improvement.

NC
            Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Shannon McDonnell is a garbage player, was frequently the butt of many jokes of Tigers fans for his lack of any skill, and his consistent habit of tripping over himself while running.

In the forwards, we will lack a hard-nosed, experienced workhorse who can get through 30 tackles and 10 hitups a game, and give a platform for our less experienced forwards.

I don't have faith in Sa and Cherrington as workers yet, and Conn and Kouparitsas are more like depth players IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
                In the forwards, we will lack a hard-nosed, experienced workhorse who can get through 30 tackles and 10 hitups a game, and give a platform for our less experienced forwards.
                Isn't that what we just signed Myles for 3 years to do?

He now has plenty of Origin and Club experience and I'm sure that Brian Smith will expect him to do exactly what you've described, rather than spend time and energy trawling corridors drunk and naked.

And quite frankly having experienced forwards like Fitzy, Mason, O'Mely & Co has done little to provide a platform for the younger forwards this season.

Look at the Drag Queens, they haven't had a real experienced hardnut forward in 2009 (Costigan and Smith have been injured for the most part) and yet they are one of the form packs of the comp.

NC

Comment

It wasn't working with Myles AND Fitzgibbon here, I don't see how it will work with just Myles.

We have three options IMO - either:

- sign an experienced workhorse prop like Tronc or Douglas to partner Paea, and then shift Myles into the backrow with Mason

- sign a workhorse backrower like Hilder, Houston, Simpson, etc to partner Mason in the backrow, and keep Myles and Paea as the frontrow

- don't sign anyone, and rely on Conn, Kouparitsas, Cherrington, M Aubusson or Sa to somehow make up for the workrate that will be lost with Fitzgibbon's departure

Comment

It wasn't working with Myles AND Fitzgibbon here, I don't see how it will work with just Myles.

- sign an experienced workhorse prop like Tronc or Douglas to partner Paea, and then shift Myles into the backrow with Mason

- sign a workhorse backrower like Hilder, Houston, Simpson, etc to partner Mason in the backrow, and keep Myles and Paea as the frontrow

- don't sign anyone, and rely on Conn, Kouparitsas, Cherrington, M Aubusson or Sa to somehow make up for the workrate that will be lost with Fitzgibbon's departure
                    Tronc is off to ESL.

Comment

Originally posted by sydneyroosterselyse View Post
                      id take him
                      him & mini would be great wingers for us
                      probably
                      hello everyone, I am new to this so i'm a bit confussed

I would take Shannon McDonnell in a heart beat with what we currently have...

Comment

Shannon McDonnell is a garbage player, was frequently the butt of many jokes of Tigers fans for his lack of any skill, and his consistent habit of tripping over himself while running.
                        Yes that is true, but he offers a lot more than what our current backs offer us

has been playing very well since he moved to Newie though under Smith

Simpson? no i wouldn't take him, way past his best

Comment

Mack,

The wooden spoon has scrambled your brains. One minute youre talking up the crap in under 20s and Newtown, the next you are buying every player on the market. Which is it?
                          Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

If the Tigers fans joked about McDonnell they'd be in bloody hysterics watching the likes of SKD, Earl, Waqa and Tuigamalla.

Remember Mack, they're the blokes McDonnell would be fighting for a spot with. And compared to them, he looks pretty classy.

NC

Comment

Originally posted by melon.... View Post
                              Mack,

The wooden spoon has scrambled your brains. One minute youre talking up the crap in under 20s and Newtown, the next you are buying every player on the market. Which is it?
                              Note that I never talked up any of the Jets players, it is only a select few of U20's players, in particular the Cordners, Blair, Lowe, Maliota and Samuela that are the standouts.

But you are the one wh even said Melon, that our pack lack starch, it lacks any toughness and it would be rolled by any other pack. We are short ONE experienced forward, we should have kept one of O'Meley and Fitzgibbon, to provide that old hardhead to support the others. Releasing both at once was not the right decision in my opinion, because it will expose the others too early.

This realization has come on my lack of confidence in Setaimata Sa at the moment. He really is not doing enough on a consistent basis.

Comment

Working...
                              X