Stats: Penalty breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stats: Penalty breakdown

Stats Insider: Who are the NRL's most penalised?

The worst team when it comes to conceding penalties is the Sydney Roosters, who have heard the shrill of the whistle 120 times this season, or precisely 6.67 times a game. They are closely followed by the new competition leaders, the Bulldogs, whose 119 conceded penalties must be of some concern to Des Hasler as the finals approach. Only two other clubs have given away triple figures in penalties – the struggling Panthers at 114 and the reigning champion Sea Eagles at 101 for the year.

The cleanskins of the NRL are the Sharks, who have conceded just 80 penalties to earn the title as the competition’s goody two-shoes. Melbourne are next best at 88, showing a clear advantage to the Sharks. While it’s not the biggest factor in their impressive season thus far, it has certainly helped the Shire boys push for a finals berth.

2012 Penalties Conceded
    1. Sharks 80; 2. Storm 88; =3. Cowboys, Rabbitohs, Warriors 89; =6. Broncos, Knights 90; =8. Titans, Dragons 94; 10. Raiders 96; 11. Eels 97; 12. Wests Tigers 99; 13. Sea Eagles 101; 14. Panthers 114; 15. Bulldogs 119; 16. Roosters 120.

-------
    Hold-down Penalties
    The most-penalised activity in the NRL this season is holding down in the ruck. It is where players try to get that extra second for their team. Nine of the 16 teams average more than one hold-down penalty a match this year, with the worst offenders being the high-flying Rabbitohs. They have been pinged 22 times this year for holding down. Is ex-Storm assistant Michael Maguire pushing the importance of the wrestle? The Raiders, Panthers, Sea Eagles and Roosters are just a penalty behind with 21 conceded, while the most disciplined team in this area is the Sharks who almost unfathomably have conceded just five hold-down penalties all season. It’s somewhat of an anomaly, as the next best is 13.

Offside Penalties
    Offside penalties are the next most-common penalty to give away, and here we find the Panthers and Bulldogs hold sway with 23 each. One could argue the Panthers are penalised so often because they are struggling to get back the 10 metres, whereas the Bulldogs are an aggressive defensive side and are pushing the envelope by jumping out of the blocks. It will be a fine balance for the competition favourites in the finals, as they try to be brutish without conceding penalties. While they were gilt-edged hold-down merchants, the Rabbitohs have a way of making it back to the referee, leading this category with just five offside penalties this season, another incredible stat.

High Shots

Obviously no team sets out to tackle others around the head but still it happens from time to time – and the worst offenders in 2012 have been the premiers. The Sea Eagles have been hammered 16 times for high tackles this year, the most in the NRL, while Inglis’s hit on Dean Young helped the Rabbitohs to second most with 13. The Raiders tackle nice and low and lead the NRL with just four high-tackle penalties.

----

Here are the best and worst in other categories:

Dangerous Throw

Best: Sharks, Cowboys – 0
    Worst: Raiders, Eels, Wests Tigers – 4

Dragged When Tackled

Best: Broncos, Raiders, Bulldogs, Sea Eagles, Storm, Cowboys, Eels – 0
    Worst: Sharks – 3

Hand In Play-the-ball

Best: Cowboys, Dragons – 4
    Worst: Bulldogs – 14

Holding Back
    Best: Roosters, Warriors – 0
    Worst: Bulldogs – 5

Late Tackle
    Best: Raiders, Bulldogs, Storm – 0
    Worst: Cowboys – 6

Markers Not Square
    Best: Broncos, Titans, Storm – 3
    Worst: Eels – 10

Mid-air Tackle
    Best: Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Wests Tigers – 0
    Worst: Broncos – 3

Stealing The Ball
    Best: Sea Eagles, Panthers – 3
    Worst: Wests Tigers – 12

Restarts
    Best: Storm, Roosters – 0
    Worst: Raiders, Cowboys – 4

Leg Pulls

Best: Roosters – 0
    Worst: Storm – 6

Second Effort
    Best: Wests Tigers – 2
    Worst: Panthers – 12

Lying In Ruck Area
    Best: Sea Eagles – 0
    Worst: Roosters – 7

-----

Individual penalties

the top 10 bad boys. So who are they? Let the countdown begin…

=9. Mick Crocker (Rabbitohs), Simon Mannering (Warriors), Anthony Watmough (Sea Eagles) 13 penalties

=6. Alex Glenn (Broncos), Adam Blair (Wests Tigers), Chris Houston (Knights) 14 penalties

=4. Shaun Fensom (Raiders) & Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Roosters) 15 penalties

It appears the Green Machine tackle machine Fensom likes to hold on to his prey a little long, having been pinged eight times for holding down, whereas the firebrand JW-H is mostly in trouble for high shots, having conceded five penalties in this area with another for a dangerous throw to go with them.

3. Jake Friend (Roosters) 16 penalties

Offside play is a big issue for the Roosters rake, having given up five penalties for being inside the 10 metres. He also has conceded four more for a second effort in defence.

2. Michael Ennis (Bulldogs) 18 penalties

1. Travis Burns (Panthers) 20 penalties
    http://www.nrl.com/stats-insider-who...1/default.aspx

Lying in the ruck could be penalised 4 out of 6 play the balls against every side tbh.

Blatant cheating like leg pulls or holding back however we have none for, is our discipline really the problem or do the poofs in pink just like blowing penalties against us for the sake of it?

Comment

Top 5 most penalised are all NSW teams who have tasted success in the past decade. Who could forget Gus's comments on the Roast some years back.

Comment

Can you enlighten me Rooster 6 - I haven't heard those comments

Comment

Thanks for that, I have only just regained my composure after pissing myself laughing - wait, say that again - sharks 5 penalties ALL YEAR for holding and souffs 5 penalties ALL YEAR for not being back 10 - oh no, there I go again - BWAHAHAHAHA..........................

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
            Thanks for that, I have only just regained my composure after pissing myself laughing - wait, say that again - sharks 5 penalties ALL YEAR for holding and souffs 5 penalties ALL YEAR for not being back 10 - oh no, there I go again - BWAHAHAHAHA..........................
            What well disciplined sides they are

Comment

Originally posted by player 1 View Post
              To be fair, that stat is countered by the fact that the Rabbitohs are the worst offenders in terms of holding down, "they have been pinged 22 times". The fact that they are regulars in pushing the time limit for holding down makes sense that they are able to get back regularly to the 10metres.

Comment

what did gus say on the roast?remind is?

Comment

These stats probably influence the referees' "tip sheets". For example: "Souths are never offside - don't worry about that. Roosters slow down the ruck - penalise them whenever you can."

The phrase "self-fulfilling prophecy" comes to mind...

Comment

Just as I expected, the worst team for lying in the ruck. We are 2-3 seconds slower than the other teams. Slowing the play the ball down is a negative tactic that goes pear shaped once the penalties start rolling in. I believe it is one area where we can't blame the refs. It should have been picked up and dealt with by the coaching staff months ago. C'mon guys. Wake up!

Comment

Originally posted by The Eggfather View Post
                      Just as I expected, the worst team for lying in the ruck. We are 2-3 seconds slower than the other teams. Slowing the play the ball down is a negative tactic that goes pear shaped once the penalties start rolling in. I believe it is one area where we can't blame the refs. It should have been picked up and dealt with by the coaching staff months ago. C'mon guys. Wake up!
                      To be exact, the most penalized team for lying in the ruck. That is different from truly being the worst.

With respect, there is no way we are 2-3 seconds slower than other teams - the way you came up with that figure was just as arbitrary as the way the referees police this area.

Comment

'the way you came up with that figure was just as arbitrary as the way the referees police this area.' I agree. Good point, but I am fairly confident that we can improve our situation by picking up the pace in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eggfather View Post
                          Are we though, really??? I just don't see it, why do some teams get away with it & we don't? Some players from some teams are even warned to get off, but we get penalised straight away??? I know, I know, I'm just another winging Easts fan, but it feels a bit like being bullied, if you pipe up about it, you'll be called a sook until someone in authority takes you seriously & really looks into it!

Comment

Melbourne teh biggest cheats of teh lot. But thats OK Fred can get us Bellamy and then we can learn how to cheat as well. Difference is teh NRL wont protect us like they protect Meldrum.

It would be typical of our stupidity.
                            Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

If you are getting pinged for soemthing then you need to improve.

If it is all a conspiracy then why bother watching the game?

Comment

Working...
                              X