No announcement yet.

Round 22: Sydney Roosters Vs Wests Tigers Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the Newcastle game for the first time last night. I'm not sure why there has been so much criticism of Sa on this forum after this game. He seemed quite involved, as much as any centre can get involved. He showed no self preservation when he dived on a loose ball when Steve Simpson was going hard for it also. He set up a try for Soliola, after coming from the other side of the field, and also showed some good skills to score his try early in the second half.

It's obvious it's an attitude problem he's got although I'm sure he's not alone there. He is a very skilful player, and just needs to find a position and stay there. His best position may well be off the bench where he can come on and create around the fringes.

With a senior coach next year he may blossom. Let's hope so.
    Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

all i can say is that mini will do a heaps better job than ben Jones ....

get prowler on as starting hooker and friend on the bench

Comment

Originally posted by muzz View Post
        all i can say is that mini will do a heaps better job than ben Jones ....

get prowler on as starting hooker and friend on the bench
        Thankfully you aren't coaching.
        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Ben Jones hasn't been doing too bad a job at 5/8. It's not as if he's ever going to be the dominant half with Pearce in the side.

He put in some nice kicks during the Newcastle match.

Give the kid a break will you - he's only just turned 19 and has been shifted between centre and 5/8 at Fittler's ill conceived will.

It's not as if he's been able to settle down in one position and just play footy.

NC
          Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
            Ben Jones hasn't been doing too bad a job at 5/8. It's not as if he's ever going to be the dominant half with Pearce in the side.

He put in some nice kicks during the Newcastle match.

Give the kid a break will you - he's only just turned 19 and has been shifted between centre and 5/8 at Fittler's ill conceived will.

It's not as if he's been able to settle down in one position and just play footy.

NC
            Exactly. And after he has done reasonably well for the past couple of weeks at 5/8 (he certainly ISN'T a centre), he is demoted back to the bench. I understand he may have injury concerns. But if he isn't able to play, he shouldn't be. And if he is able to play, he should have been named at 5/8. The team is coming off a good win. And there has been a bit more stability in the halves. That has been thrown out the window again

Comment

Originally posted by Kramer86 View Post
              Exactly. And after he has done reasonably well for the past couple of weeks at 5/8 (he certainly ISN'T a centre), he is demoted back to the bench. I understand he may have injury concerns. But if he isn't able to play, he shouldn't be. And if he is able to play, he should have been named at 5/8. The team is coming off a good win. And there has been a bit more stability in the halves. That has been thrown out the window again
              Yeup, distinctly stuartesque is this approach from the "Mad Hatter".
              The Roosters are going to get lapped as a result unfortunately.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

*** Retain the same combination that beat Newcastle ***

Mini??

Comment

Originally posted by Giuseppe Roosta View Post
                  *** Retain the same combination that beat Newcastle ***

Mini??
                  Obviously he comes in and takes his postion back on the wing, and Huaraki drops off. I think when people talk about the same combination, they are refering to the halves in particular. It was an unforced change this week. And basically, it is to accomodate Huaraki

Comment

Originally posted by Kramer86 View Post
                    Obviously he comes in and takes his postion back on the wing, and Huaraki drops off. I think when people talk about the same combination, they are refering to the halves in particular. It was an unforced change this week. And basically, it is to accomodate Huaraki
                    "Obviously"

Comment

It's actually to accommodate Mini, rather than anyone else. He was the one who didn't play last weekend. And Fittler's determined to have him in the side this week, no matter where.

We should be thankful he's not being played at prop I suppose.

Mind you, we're yet to see whether he takes the field, or whether he suffers yet another injury. Still a few days before Sunday.

NC
                      Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

It's actually to accommodate Mini, rather than anyone else. He was the one who didn't play last weekend. And Fittler's determined to have him in the side this week, no matter where.

Mind you, we're yet to see whether he takes the field, or whether he suffers yet another injury. Still a few days before Sunday.

NC
                        It's to accomodate Huaraki or SKD. The only reason they played last week was because Minichello was out injured. The week before, Minichello was on the wing. So to accomodate Minichello, all you would need to do is give him back his wing position, and drop one of his fill ins. But instead, he is forced to move to 5/8 to accomodate Huaraki and SKD. This was an unforced move

Comment

In my opinion, you should always have your key marquee players in their preferred positions, and then build the rest of the team around them.

At Melbourne Storm, for instance, they would have:

1. Slater
                          4. Inglis
                          7. Cronk
                          9. Smith
                          12. Hoffmann
                          12. Johnson

And the rest of the team, an assortment of solid players like Sika Manu, Steve Turner, Anthony Quinn, Will Chambers, Brett White, Brett Finch, Jeff Lima, Adam Blair, Ryan Hinchcliffe, will build the team around them. Prioritize the selection of the key players in their preferred positions. That is why next year, the first step to building the team should be:

1. Minichiello
                          2. Perrett (would be a key player at fullback without Mini being there, but with Mini playing, he definitely deserves a wing spot)
                          6. Anasta
                          7. Pearce
                          8. Myles
                          10. Paea (IMO, he is a key player. Have him start every game at prop and he will lead our pack with Myles)
                          11. Mason

The rest of the players, which is pretty much all the youth like James Aubusson, Martin Kennedy, Stanley Waqa, Sisa Waqa, Nick Kouparitsas, Mose Masoe, Mitch Aubusson, Tom Symonds, Daniel Conn, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Ryan Williamson, FP Nuuausala, Anthony Cherrington, Ben Jones, Jake Friend, Setaimata Sa, Jared Warea-Hargreaves and Boyd Cordner, should be positioned accordingly in the team, but none of these blokes should be prioritized ahead of our 'key' players. The leadership group of Mini, Perrett, Anasta, Pearce, Myles, Paea and Mason should be given priority in positional choice so that they can lead the team from their most comfortable positions.
                          Last edited by The Mack; 08-06-2009, 04:46 PM.

Comment

NC
                            You took the words right outa my gob NC.

Mini is yet to prove himself after his long layoff - his reputation precedes him..

Match fitness will be his big test..

He is a Winger or Fullback..nothing more - nothing less

Comment

Unfortunatly my parents are going to meet someone so unfortunatly I won't be at the game tommorow, I'll be back next week against Manly. I think the game is winnable but it is a test of our maturity can we back it up.

Comment

Does the club still have courtesy buses running from Bondi Junction to the ground?
                                Don't be afraid to step out in the rain. Take a chance. Sometimes the only way to get your rainbow is by getting wet.

Comment

Working...
                                X