The Backrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Backrow

ok, so the backrow is meant to be a structured and balanced portion of your football team.
    imo, if the halves direct the team, the backrow holds the team together.
    a successful backrow, imo, needs:
    - a flairy, creative player, able to bust the line and create opportunities.
    - a hard running, hole hitting go to player that can score tries.
    - a tackling machine, working hard the full 80 minutes.

i think that the players that fill this criteria are taka, cordner and bosden.
    if you look at the warriors, in those positions, they have mateo, mannering and elijah taylor.

meanwhile, at the roosters, brian smith has been chopping and changing his backrow all year, much like every other aspect of the football team apart from the two positions that do need changing, fullback and five-eighth.

smith needs to think long and hard about the team he is going to select for round 1 next year. and then after that, keep it same for as long as he can, barring injuries, suspensions etc.

then we might see some consistency

SBW, Cordner and the FPN from saturday night would do me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben94 View Post
      SBW, Cordner and FPN (from saturday night) would do me.
      yeah but fpn puts in those performances once every eight weeks.
      i agree with cordner and sbw (who will mentor taka in his time here, so taka becomes our sbw) and someone like bozza at lock

Comment

Originally posted by kegs1 View Post
        if you look at the warriors, in those positions, they have mateo, mannering and elijah taylor.
        I take your point and largely agree but you surely could have used a better example than the Warriors. They are the only team playing about as badly as we are.

Comment

Guerra & Cordner to share the workhorse/hard-running/hole-running roles. SBW as the creative flair. Im hot and cold on taka. His defence needs work as does his involvement and workrate at times - there have been games where he has played on an edge and been maubs-esq in terms of involvement. for a big frame he needs to use it way more imo. My other issue with taka is ideally he should play with SKD on the right but defensively, that fringe becomes a coaches nightmare..... Bosden I rate extremely highly but guerra is definitely more deserving of a starting spot imo - has been consistently strong for us in first grade on the left edge across all facets.

EDIT: look through his stats for this year. while his tackle busts and offloads are very high and he has been extremely impressive with the ball in hand, his tackle count and misses in particular as well as his metres gained are pretty poor for a big guy like him....
          http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...83&teamid=3410
          Last edited by roz; 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
            Guerra & Cordner to share the workhorse/hard-running/hole-running roles. SBW as the creative flair. Im hot and cold on taka. His defence needs work as does his involvement and workrate at times - there have been games where he has played on an edge and been maubs-esq in terms of involvement. for a big frame he needs to use it way more imo. My other issue with taka is ideally he should play with SKD on the right but defensively, that fringe becomes a coaches nightmare..... Bosden I rate extremely highly but guerra is definitely more deserving of a starting spot imo - has been consistently strong for us in first grade on the left edge across all facets.

EDIT: look through his stats for this year. while his tackle busts and offloads are very high and he has been extremely impressive with the ball in hand, his tackle count and misses in particular as well as his metres gained are pretty poor for a big guy like him....
            http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...83&teamid=3410
            Well done roz, thats a good obsevation IMO.

Comment

11. Guerra, 12. SBW, 13. Cordner, Bench: Aubusson

Comment

Originally posted by bravehalfbackPEARCE View Post
                11. Guerra, 12. SBW, 13. Cordner, Bench: Aubusson
                waste of a bench spot

Comment

11. Cordner
                  12. Guerra
                  13. Bosden

Bench
                  14. Takarangi

or

11. Cordner
                  12. SBW
                  13. Bosden

Bench
                  14. Guerra

Comment

11. Takarangi
                    12. Guerra
                    13. Sbw

14. Bowden
                    15. Cordner

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
                      11. Takarangi
                      12. Guerra
                      13. Sbw

14. Bowden
                      15. Cordner
                      who?

Comment

Originally posted by II POOCH II View Post
                        who?
                        This guy.

http://www.royalasiaticsociety.lk/about/our-philosophy/prof-russel-bowden/

Either that or blame the spell check.

Comment

Working...
                        X