Artie Angry At Fitzys Sendoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artie Angry At Fitzys Sendoff

Sydney Roosters legend Arthur Beetson has described as ''absolute madness'' the club's decision to send Craig Fitzgibbon packing at the end of this season.

Beetson, the Roosters' former recruitment manager, said the Tricolours should have signed the 32-year-old warhorse for another three seasons instead of pensioning him off to the English Super League.

''I can't believe the recruiting there - how they could let him go?'' Beetson told The Sun-Herald.

''If there was a best-ever Roosters team named today, Craig Fitzgibbon would be one of the first picked.

''He's a great leader, he's never been a problem and has never been in trouble.

''He's an absolute inspiration and if you talk about madness, this is your perfect example.

''I'd have signed him for another three years.''

Beetson accused the Roosters of being disloyal to Fitzgibbon, who will join Hull next season.

''He obviously took a pay cut to stay at the joint [last year] because that's how much he cares about it,'' Beetson said.

''Then they rewarded his loyalty by taking the captaincy off him. That was one of the worst decisions ever made - and nothing against Braith Anasta.

''But the bottom line is, Fitzy deserved better. His contribution to the club has been enormous.

''You don't get too many professionals like him that turn up every week to work hard. He epitomises what our great game is all about.''

Fitzgibbon, however, refuses to be bitter.

''I love the Roosters,'' the 257-game veteran said. ''And I hope next year I'm looking back from England seeing the Roosters up the top of the ladder again and firing.

''Sure, there have been some tough times, and probably none more so than this year for me and the club, but there have been plenty more good times.

''Irrespective of what's happened, I'm not going to look back on my time at the Roosters and focus on my last year or any of the stuff that mightn't have gone my way.''

And while he's just weeks away from farewelling the NRL, Fitzgibbon doesn't want to talk scrapbooks. Not his 18 Test matches or 11 Blues jumpers.

''It's not finished yet, no way,'' he said. ''I'm not ready to look through the scrapbook just yet … I'm not someone who can sit back and reflect on good times past, anyway. I want to move forward, not look back.''

What about the 2002 grand final win? The Clive Churchill Medal? Being the highest point-scoring forward in NRL history?

''Nah. There'll come time for that one day, maybe.''

''There's still a bit of room left. And a Challenge Cup and Super League premiership would be a nice final few pages in the book.''

Long-time teammate Anthony Minichiello said Fitzgibbon would be sorely missed at the Roosters.

''He is the club,'' said Minichiello, who has signed for one more year. ''He's a legend. He's just a champion player and a champion bloke and all of us want to win as many games as we can for the rest of this season to see him out on a high.''

I have to agree with Artie on this one. With so many young players comming through it is essential Fitzy stays if only as an example of what disaplines are required to make it in FG.

Comment

Precisely. The loss of Shack can be covered, hard-running bench forwards are easily covered (Myles, Waerea-Hargreaves and Cherro can probably do what Shack does, but better), but Fitzgibbon gives us 35 tackles and 15 hitups every game.

Maybe the extra THREE years is a bit over the top by Artie, but one more year in the new backrow with Mason and Anasta would have done alot of the kids a world of good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
        Precisely. The loss of Shack can be covered, hard-running bench forwards are easily covered (Myles, Waerea-Hargreaves and Cherro can probably do what Shack does, but better), but Fitzgibbon gives us 35 tackles and 15 hitups every game.

Maybe the extra THREE years is a bit over the top by Artie, but one more year in the new backrow with Mason and Anasta would have done alot of the kids a world of good.
        The loss of Shack doesnt even rate.
        Alcohol never solved any life problems.....then again neither did milk.

Comment

Latting Fitzy go is a damn tragedy!!! We'll miss ya Fitz.. Onya Artie!!

Comment

FRANK-PAUL Nuuausala was 18 when he reached the crossroads. Having been dumped by the Warriors, Nuuausala had two choices -- return to gang life on the mean streets of Auckland or find salvation at the Sydney Roosters.

Nuuausala chose the latter and hasn't looked back. Not only has he become a fixture in the Roosters front row, but Nuuausala's form has been so impressive he was named in a 45-man New Zealand train-on squad this week.

At 22, he stands on the cusp of international honours. Not bad considering where he has come from. A promising footballer in the south of Auckland, he started running with gangs and experimenting with drugs in his teens.

"Where I grew up it was real rough," Nuuausala said.

"All you know is drugs and to get a rep (reputation) for yourself. That area was pretty rough. All my mates do drugs, they all want to be American gangsters and join gangs."

When he was axed by the Warriors, Nuuausala considered returning to the streets.

"I was going to give it up when I was 18," he said. "I looked at my family and didn't want to be another statistic -- a could-have-been or would-have-been.

"I didn't want to let down my parents because they put so much into me. I was the one to take them out of Otara."

Thankfully, former Roosters coach Ricky Stuart intervened. Stuart had seen Nuuausala playing with the Junior Kiwis and noticed something. He contacted Nuuausala's manager and arranged a trial.

"I think it was the best thing I did in my life," Nuuausala said.

"I wanted to come back after one week, but I just stuck through it."

Even then, Nuuausala still had some hurdles to overcome. His weight soared and he struggled with his fitness, reaching 123kg at one point. His breakfast was typically McDonald's or fish and chips.

Only the faith of former coach Chris Anderson and the friendship of Craig Fitzgibbon saved Nuuausala from the scrap heap.

"Fitzy has been helping me a lot with food," Nuuausala said.

"He's a good role model for me. Everyone teases me and says he's my dad. He took me under his wing. He must have seen something in me that no one else saw. At first, I was scared of Fitzy. Now he's my good friend. To me he's like an older brother."

Fitzgibbon believes the Roosters have a gem in their ranks, a player who can become a fixture for the Kiwis should they give him a chance and allow him to mature.

"If he continues to develop from where he is now ... he might be one out of the blocks in a couple of years," Fitzgibbon said.

"From what Frank showed when he first came, I wasn't sure. He's a modest person. He did it all himself. Chris Anderson saw a bit in him and gave him a chance.

"From that point on, he's done it himself. No one can put you on a treadmill or take you home and cook your dinner for you."

He may be on the verge of international honours, but Nuuausala hasn't forgotten where he comes from. He calls his mother regularly and heads home whenever possible.

"I try to call my mum every few days -- she always gets worried about me because I am a mummy's boy," he said. "My brothers have had a little bit of trouble, but now they're out of it which is good because I don't want them to go through what I did. When they saw me in first grade, they realised there was better things."

While he has been a positive influence on his family, some of his friends are still running with the wrong crowd. "Every time I go over it's the same old thing -- doing drugs, drinking," he said. "I stay at home and don't go out -- I play X-Box with my brothers.

"If I didn't have footy I would be in a gang or a bum. I would be back at home living with my parents -- a waste of life."

His dream has always been to buy his parents a home, but his mum has instead encouraged him to build a house for his grandparents in Samoa.

When the season comes to an end, Nuuausala and his mother will fly to Samoa.

"So after the season I am going to go and give them cash to get a house for them. It makes me feel good," he said. "I always help my family out. I saw my mum and dad struggling when I was young and I don't want them to struggle any more.

"They put so much effort in, taking me to training. My mum always told me to play for the family -- just so people could see that one of her sons or daughters make it to the big time.

"I feel blessed. God gave me an opportunity."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012431,00.html

There is a great article there about FPN and some of the trouble he has run into in his life. He gives Fitzy great credit for guiding and him and teaching him about professionalism. It shows the importance of a good core of senior players and how they are important in developing young players. We should of kept Fitzy, signed him for 2-3 years even if he didn't play them all out. He would still be a great role model for the young kids coming through. I know fans are excited by the fact we have some good 18-22 year olds but the reality is some of these guys will not be ready for 2-3 years. That is where players like Fitzy can teach these kids what it means to be professional. Also what it means to play 1st grade at the roosters.

At the moment we are lacking leadership both by the coaches and in the playing squad. That's why losing someone like Fitzy next season is absolutely ridiculous.

Comment

I agree whos gonna take leadership now that hes gone. We don't have that player who can show everyone what do to.

Comment

More to the point....who is going to take Pearce's inside ball twenty times a game next year ?

Comment

Arties right!

Undoubtedly a management blunder of monumental proportions. Fitz has a good few years left to give his all to the team and inspire the younger players - Attitude, Guts, Determination, and Ability = Fitz

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes View Post
                    More to the point....who is going to take Pearce's inside ball twenty times a game next year ?
                    Now thats GOLD.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

I would have given Fitzy what he wanted for as long as he wanted to stay. Good clubmen and players like him dont come around too often. Look at what happened to the Broncos when they lost petero

Comment

mate u can't completely lay that on losing petero, they were about a minute away from making the GF without him last year and this year its been losing bennet which was the main factor. But i agree absolutely should have held on to fitzy as long as possible

THAT SAID, at least he goes out as a great player and today is proof of that, i would have hated it if he'd be forced out by lack of form so its fitting he gets to leave on a high note on a personal level (obviously would have preferred a better note for the team)

Let's all hope that Willie stands up and takes control of the forward pack, i've seen glimpses of this recently and i really think he could be the man to take fitzgibbons place, he's been running hard and commanding the troops so maybe he can take over for the next few years. And i'd love to see fitzy take a role up at the club in years to come as a forwards coach or any involvement to be honest
                        I support two NRL teams, the Roosters and whoevers playing Souths

Comment

Fitzy's an old warhorse that's about it. The club has done the right thing by letting him go. What we need is a bloke who can break the line and offload. Fitzy's had his day.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolphin View Post
                            I would have given Fitzy what he wanted for as long as he wanted to stay. Good clubmen and players like him dont come around too often. Look at what happened to the Broncos when they lost petero

Why don't we bring Bunny Reilly out of retirement as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Holmes View Post
                              Too true Holmes.

Comment

Working...
                              X