RTS article in todays Astonisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTS article in todays Astonisher

BOOM Roosters winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is quickly becoming Anthony Minichiello's shadow.
    But with Minichiello facing a three-week suspension at the NRL judiciary tonight, the time has come for Tuivasa-Sheck to jump into the spotlight in the Roosters' No. 1 jersey.

The 19-year-old, who is still eligible to play in the Toyota Cup in 2013, says he is ready for it as well.

Minichiello is the reason he is ready to take his place.

Since joining the Roosters at the end of 2011, Tuivasa-Sheck has become Minichiello's apprentice.

"When he's out doing his thing, I always try and shadow him and watch what he's doing," Tuivasa-Sheck said after being named on the wing in the 2012 Toyota Cup team of the year yesterday. "Hopefully I just keep learning from his performances. I'm just trying to be ready when the time comes - even Brian Smith is telling me: Be ready, be ready.

"That's when I knew this was scary stuff. We also catch up after training. He's a man of extras. He does extras every game, every training day. I just stay stay back and do what he's doing. Mini's always helping me."

He will be following the same path so many Toyota Cup graduates have walked since it's inaugural season in 2008.

Twelve months ago he had never played a game of rugby league in his life.

2012 TOYOTA CUP TEAM OF THE YEAR: Evander Cummins (Dragons), Marika Koroibete (Tigers), Edrick Lee (Raiders), Nathan Green (Dragons), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (Roosters), Carlos Tuimivave (Warriors), Mitchell Cornish, Raiders), David Klemmar (Bulldogs), Michael Lichaa (Sharks), Korbin Sims (Knights), Michael Chee Kam (Raiders), Vaipuna Tia Kilifi (Panthers), Paul Carter (Bulldogs), Caleb Timu (Broncos), Chris Grevsmuhl (Cowboys), Luke Keary (Rabbitohs), Dylan Napa (Roosters). Coach: Garth Brennan (Panthers).

we neede rts to go an watch slater at game day and have a look at another inform fullback in baaa baaa
    1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Great to see Napa get named as well.

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
        we neede rts to go an watch slater at game day and have a look at another inform fullback in baaa baaa
        Exactly. Watching mini to learn how to be a fullback is akin to watching a priest to learn how to be a childcare worker.

Chook.

Comment

Yep, I shuddered when I read that.
          Mini (in his twilight) mkII?

Faaaaarrk.

Comment

Mini trains better than he plays surely? You can't be that out of form each day every day!

NC
            Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook:244847
              Mini trains better than he plays surely? You can't be that out of form each day every day!

NC
              Mini is probably the best trainer we have, NC.

That's why I don't believe the line about 'train well, play well" anymore.

Comment

Totally agree Greeds. If the team played as well as our blokes reckon they train each week, we'd be vying for the Premiership, not the spoon!

NC

Comment

Congrats to RTS and Dylan Napa. We do have some good youth coming through but we desperately need some experienced heads to compliment them.
                  I have no doubt Mini is a fantastic trainer, but that doesn't always translate on to the field.

Comment

maybe he over trains. tired on game day. or he can only have a perfect game when noone is around.
                    1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Mini was a gun. He is a perfect role model for RTS. Mini knows what to do, he just can't anymore. He doesn't have the speed to turn a half break into a break, nor the speed to position himself properly. He knows where he needs to be and who he needs to support. His ball playing was never that great, but again, he knows how to play the game.

RTS will learn alot from Mini. A great work ethic. The only difference is RTS will be able to take what Mini says and execute it at pace. Additionally, he will be able to bring his own skills.

We have RTS coming off contract end of next season. There is a genuine opportunity to sign him long term, with a first grade fullback spot in clear sight. A huge motivational tool for RTS. The kid must be jumping out of his skin.

Comment

Of our 20s the only players from this year that can make it are : RTS, Evans, Napa and Moga.

Some diamonds in the rough are guys like : Forester, and maybe Rokolati. But they're long shots.

The rest will struggle to get a stop at newtown.People these days make to much of the NYC when really it is only better than SG ball. Many of the kids in that comp are still growing both Physically and mentally and can really turn into anything.This is why Smith is mixing NYC players with Newtown and giving them a chance to play against the bigger and older boys.
                        Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

That's the thing Dubai whenever you see a pic of RTS he looks excited, smiling, motivated and enthusiastic. He's living the dream and seems the type of bloke who will soak whatever information is given to him up like a sponge.

I contrast that to Moga, who currently always looks lethargic, disinterested, unmotivated and sulky. I read somewhere once that he and Sam Perrett were close and I wonder if Sam's departure has soured Moga's attitude, at least short term.

The fact that Moga and RTS live together is not ideal. The last thing we need is for RTS to be infected with Moga's apparent lethargy, even temporarily.

RTS could be an absolute gem of a player, given the right environment.

NC

Comment

I don't think that Moga has done that bad TBH. I think people are reading too much into it.

It might just be the attitude he has when he plays, or just nerves in general. He's made some nice linebreaks so far in his career and he's only had a handful of games. Give him some time to develop.
                            Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

He couldnt have a better guide could he?

All good news for Easts.

Comment

Working...
                              X