Sonny Bill Williams regrets agreement to return to NRL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Bill Williams regrets agreement to return to NRL

SONNY Bill Williams admits if he knew his rugby tenure would have been this successful, he probably never would have made the handshake agreement that will see him return to the NRL next year.

Williams stands on the verge of leaving the game with a clean sweep of major trophies; the World Cup, a Super Rugby title, and if the All Blacks defeat the Wallabies tomorrow night, the Bledisloe Cup.

If he does, there will be no wild celebrations. Hours after the game at Eden Park, Williams will catch a flight to Japan and meet his new Panasonic Wildknights teammates in Ota City.

The All Black centre will return to league – believed to have been decided upon a handshake agreement with Roosters boss Nick Politis - once his Japanese rugby stint ends in January, but concedes he may have made a different decision in hindsight.

"You know when I came here three years ago I didn't even know if I could play rugby,” Williams said. “I didn't know how the future was going to unfold but it was good to have that security knowing that I had a job in three years’ time in rugby league.

"I wish I could say now I would just stay but three years ago, if I had the chance I would probably have been back in league straight away but I came back here and things worked out the way they did.

“If things don't work out over there [Australia] as well as I hope then maybe I might be back here, but who knows what is going to happen?

“When I first came into the All Blacks squad I definitely felt like I didn't belong here, I didn't know anyone. I had come straight from ITM Cup and I felt like I was out of my depth. I was still improving as a rugby player.

"After being involved so long, and being involved in [19] Tests you really appreciate what you have. Now that I understand rugby I have got the utmost respect for it and you kind of look back on it definitely happy knowing you've been able to accomplish what you have.

"I've got one hand on that Bledisloe and I want to get both hands before I leave so I've been telling the boys, ‘send me off with a win brothers’.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226457023497

Originally posted by Julz View Post
    SONNY Bill Williams admits if he knew his rugby tenure would have been this successful, he probably never would have made the handshake agreement that will see him return to the NRL next year.

Williams stands on the verge of leaving the game with a clean sweep of major trophies; the World Cup, a Super Rugby title, and if the All Blacks defeat the Wallabies tomorrow night, the Bledisloe Cup.

If he does, there will be no wild celebrations. Hours after the game at Eden Park, Williams will catch a flight to Japan and meet his new Panasonic Wildknights teammates in Ota City.

The All Black centre will return to league – believed to have been decided upon a handshake agreement with Roosters boss Nick Politis - once his Japanese rugby stint ends in January, but concedes he may have made a different decision in hindsight.

"You know when I came here three years ago I didn't even know if I could play rugby,” Williams said. “I didn't know how the future was going to unfold but it was good to have that security knowing that I had a job in three years’ time in rugby league.

"I wish I could say now I would just stay but three years ago, if I had the chance I would probably have been back in league straight away but I came back here and things worked out the way they did.

“If things don't work out over there [Australia] as well as I hope then maybe I might be back here, but who knows what is going to happen?

“When I first came into the All Blacks squad I definitely felt like I didn't belong here, I didn't know anyone. I had come straight from ITM Cup and I felt like I was out of my depth. I was still improving as a rugby player.

"After being involved so long, and being involved in [19] Tests you really appreciate what you have. Now that I understand rugby I have got the utmost respect for it and you kind of look back on it definitely happy knowing you've been able to accomplish what you have.

"I've got one hand on that Bledisloe and I want to get both hands before I leave so I've been telling the boys, ‘send me off with a win brothers’.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226457023497
    A very smart parting comment to the NZRU which keeps the door open if he was to come a knocking again...

Comment

Great. Can't wait for all the SBW haters to come out and say why sign a bloke that doesn't want to be here. They will conveniently forget the fact this is the Telegraph. More than likely the question went along the lines of:

Reporter: "What do you say to all the rugby fans who want to see you stay in union"
      SBW: "I wish I could say now I would just stay...."
      Reporter: HEADLINE "Sonny Bill Williams regrets agreement to return to NRL".

Comment

What a load of Telegraph nonsense.

He's not had any qualms about walking away from commitments in the past. Even when they're signed, sealed and delivered.

Let's face it, if you're not playing NRL you're not playing football. All Black or no All Black, who'd want to waste their talents in Union?

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

He's not had any qualms about walking away from commitments in the past. Even when they're signed, sealed and delivered.

Let's face it, if you're not playing NRL you're not playing football.
          Geez you people need to get over this walking out on a contract nonsense. You have no idea what went on behind closed doors and how he may or may not have been treated. Regardless it was five years ago and he has since had numerous Rugby contracts and boxing contracts which he has seen out.

Comment

All I'm saying is that if he didn't want to return to League, he wouldn't be returning to League. Handshake or no handshake.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubai View Post
              Great. Can't wait for all the SBW haters to come out and say why sign a bloke that doesn't want to be here. They will conveniently forget the fact this is the Telegraph. More than likely the question went along the lines of:

Reporter: "What do you say to all the rugby fans who want to see you stay in union"
              SBW: "I wish I could say now I would just stay...."
              Reporter: HEADLINE "Sonny Bill Williams regrets agreement to return to NRL".
              So, you're happy to have a stab in the dark at what question might have been asked, but when it comes to him walking out on a deal, you talk about people not knowing what might or might not have gone on behind closed doors.

Lots of guessing, all slanted to agree with your point of view

Comment

Originally posted by tony the wheel View Post
                So, you're happy to have a stab in the dark at what question might have been asked, but when it comes to him walking out on a deal, you talk about people not knowing what might or might not have gone on behind closed doors.

Of course!

Comment

Sbw

I posted a comment in their comments section, at the bottom of the story, saying that once he starts playing a proper game again, he wont be interested in that pitiful game of union, league is where he will test his ability. It will be interesting to see if they publish it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Rooster View Post
                    I posted a comment in their comments section, at the bottom of the story, saying that once he starts playing a proper game again, he wont be interested in that pitiful game of union, league is where he will test his ability. It will be interesting to see if they publish it.
                    Every team dunny bill williams has played for he has won a title!
                    He will be welcome to play for the Sydney Roosters

Comment

We all have regrets.

1. Why did I eat that?
                      2. Why did I have sex/marry that woman?
                      3. Why did I, Sonny Bill Williams, decide to leave New Zealand when Robbie Deans is the most incompetent coach since Mark Murray.
                      4. Why did I decide to read this article from the Telegraph when I could have been writing vitriol against Bootface.

Comment

Seeing you are so in the know beetrootface. What was actually asked ?
                        We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                        Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

TOK, sub-editors are sub-editors but the headline is hyperbolic given the story that was written.

Comment

Originally posted by theticket View Post
                            TOK, sub-editors are sub-editors but the headline is hyperbolic given the story that was written.
                            well and good, but nothing to do with what I was talking about

Comment

Originally posted by Bansai Pipeline View Post

Let's face it, if you're not playing NRL you're not playing football. All Black or no All Black, who'd want to waste their talents in Union?
                              Everybody in New Zealand, England, France, South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Wales etc.

I agree rugby is a crap game. But we need to remember it is played by many countries.
                              Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X