No announcement yet.

What we will miss about this season...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What we will miss about this season...

Fitzgibbon.

Deadset, next season, without an experienced forward who is guaranteed to make at least 30 tackles and 10 hitups every game, we are going to struggle. Myles is too young to be thrust into such a workrate, and Mason might make plenty of yards but dogs it in defense far too often.

The only players going around that could even come close to adequately filling the second-row spot that Fitzgibbon will vacate are:

- Trent Waterhouse (top player IMO)
    - Nathan Hindmarsh (would never leave Parramatta)
    - Glenn Stewart (great player but won't leave Manly)
    - Andrew Ryan (wouldn't leave a winning team)
    - David Stagg (wouldn't leave a winning team)
    - Dean Young (wouldn't leave a winning team)
    - Anthony Laffranchi (wouldn't leaving a winning team)

Dallas Johnson, Matt Hilder, Michael Luck and Alan Tongue are great defenders but offer nothing at all in attack. Chris Houston, Luke Douglas, and to a lesser extent, Matt Prior and Nathan Smith are all high workrate players too but lack the experience to really fill the role.

To be completely honest, as good as our team CAN be next year, without a Fitzgibbon style workhorse in attack AND defence like Waterhouse, Hindmarsh, Stewart etc, we will struggle. Myles is a prop, he is best used as a hitup merchant who hits hard, not an 80-minute grinder.

Please stay Fitzy!

Maubs could step up I reckon. play him at 13 where he should be.

Comment

I don't think his workrate is THAT high though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
        I don't think his workrate is THAT high though.
        Dunno Mack, as it is he does his own and SKDs defence work.

IMO Maubs is the ONLY player we currently have who could possibly fill Fitzys massive role.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

The problem is that Paea, Waqa, Nuuausala, Mason, Cherrington, Waerea-Hargreaves and Symonds are all hitup machines or hole-runners. Myles can make tackles, but he is best used as a Morley-style battering ram.

Anasta is a ballplaying lock, in the Menzies mold hopefully. Sa and Symonds fit into that role too when they are in the forwards. That leaves Conn, Kennedy and Morbs.

Hence, we should make a play for an experienced workhorse backrower.

Comment

The problem is that Paea, Waqa, Nuuausala, Mason, Cherrington, Waerea-Hargreaves and Symonds are all hitup machines or hole-runners. Myles can make tackles, but he is best used as a Morley-style battering ram.

Anasta is a ballplaying lock, in the Menzies mold hopefully. Sa and Symonds fit into that role too when they are in the forwards. That leaves Conn, Kennedy and Morbs.

Hence, we should make a play for an experienced workhorse backrower.
            Mackdaddeorooniee, Beaver was a brilliant hole runner and quick for a backrower and tackled like a machine. Fitzy WAS a Beaver, Maubs shows traits he could one day do the role.

Bwaiff wouldnt make a locks arsehole IMO. His ballplay is average at best. Hes an average defender, certainly wouldnt have rthe workrate of a lock. And he isnt what id call a hitup merchant.

Sa is the laziest footballer ive seen in years, maybe ever.

Symonds shows signs of life, but hes played a few games. We dont even know his best position as yet.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

To be honest all I will miss about this season is the excuse to get shitfaced each week.

Im sure I will find excuses in the summer though.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

BTW I reckon Mason, Cherro and Symonds have shown they can ballplay when encouraged to and when someone runs off their shoulders occasionally.

Im still waiting for Pezz to back up someone with the arm free.

Tansey tried but he was maybe the worst defender in history.

Mini showed his true worth today, even being played out of position.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                  Mackdaddeorooniee, Beaver was a brilliant hole runner and quick for a backrower and tackled like a machine. Fitzy WAS a Beaver, Maubs shows traits he could one day do the role.

Bwaiff wouldnt make a locks arsehole IMO. His ballplay is average at best. Hes an average defender, certainly wouldnt have rthe workrate of a lock. And he isnt what id call a hitup merchant.

Sa is the laziest footballer ive seen in years, maybe ever.

Symonds shows signs of life, but hes played a few games. We dont even know his best position as yet.

Beaver and Fitzy were very different players. Beaver never made 40+ tackles a game or 15+ hitups. Beaver was more of a cover defender, and someone who injected themselves into the attacking line sporadically to make breaks. Fitzy is a toiler.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                    BTW I reckon Mason, Cherro and Symonds have shown they can ballplay when encouraged to and when someone runs off their shoulders occasionally.

Im still waiting for Pezz to back up someone with the arm free.

Tansey tried but he was maybe the worst defender in history.

Mini showed his true worth today, even being played out of position.

Great point stsae. I hope Mini finally gets his position back next week and Pezz moves to SKD's wing. SKD cost us another game today.

Comment

Beaver and Fitzy were very different players. Beaver never made 40+ tackles a game or 15+ hitups. Beaver was more of a cover defender, and someone who injected themselves into the attacking line sporadically to make breaks. Fitzy is a toiler.
                      Beaver wasnt a ballplayer. Neither is Fitzy. They both defended very well and hit a hole very well. They both had good speed for backrowers.

Dont you recall Fitzy running 95mtrs to score against Poocastle that day in that semi???

Fitzy is a toiler now, its all he has left, hes lost his pace.

They werent exactly the same type of player, but they werent that different in their prime. Remenber for a long time Fitz had Ricko, who was a very similar player sharing his workload. Freddy did the ballplaying backrower role for us, and played 5/8 and 1/2.

Beaver had Kosef, a brilliant ballplaying backrower and Cliffy a freak.

Difference is woManly used Beaver as impact at the end, preserving his pace to a degree. We have run Fitzy to the ground. Another pRicky legacey, using Fitz at prop.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                        Great point stsae. I hope Mini finally gets his position back next week and Pezz moves to SKD's wing. SKD cost us another game today.
                        I like Pezz as a player but for the life of me cant understand why he doesnt use his pace to our advantage and back up ballplayers.

Mini one week back is at it like he never missed 4 seasons.

I also cant work out why Pezz hasnt been used for a consistent period at centre. He has all the attributes to play the position, hes actually a good defender with great leg drive.

He can play on the wing, just his height isnt whats required for a modern day winger.

SKD must only be there cos of his height, certainly not for his decision making in defence. Not that I can recall the last time we scored with a kick to him, maybe early last year??? Hes slower that that Tony Williams from woManly.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolphin View Post
                          Maubs could step up I reckon. play him at 13 where he should be.
                          I agree mate. He is a tough boy and is growing into a good backrower. He would do a better job in the pack than Soliola ever will.

Seriously, how do we expect to be competitive with muppets like Soliola and SKD in our side. Those two are about as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike.
                          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Right now we need Morbs in the centres though, to provide a bit of stability and defensive skill to our backline.

Like I said, someone like Trent Waterhouse would be a good pickup, makes plenty of yards, makes loads of tackles, and can lead the pack with experience.

But blokes like David Stagg, Nathan Smith, Matt Hilder, or the less experienced Matt Prior from Dragons, are all notable for being outstanding defenders, making at least 30 tackles a game on a regular basis, as well as contributing somewhat, if not too much, to the attacking side of the game (usually around 60-70 metres a game, a bit like Flannery). I doubt any of these blokes would be too pricey, and they would do the job of covering the defensive workload that Fitzgibbon once shouldered. I have faith in Mason, Myles, Paea and company stepping up their workrate to cover the hitups.

The biggest issue - if/when Carney comes...will Braith be a success at lock? I personally felt that he could only revel at lock if Fitzgibbon was playing to cover the defensive deficiencies...

Comment

What i would do:

1. Don't get Todd Carney.
                              2. Spend Carneys money on a GOOD center
                              3. Put Maubs to lock
                              4. Leave Anasta at 5/8.

i will be very happy if Anasta passed the ball to a Center/Winger for once! Especilly our new center (if what i said happends....?

Comment

Working...
                              X