James Hooper starts the shitstorm early this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Hooper starts the shitstorm early this year

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens and Rooosters coach Brian Smith both face the axe
    Pressure is building on veteran coaches Tim Sheens (Wests Tigers) and Brian Smith (Roosters). Source: The Daily Telegraph

TWO of rugby league's most experienced coaches face uncertain futures, with the positions of Wests Tigers' four-time premiership winner Tim Sheens and the Sydney Roosters' Brian Smith both on the chopping block.

The Sunday Telegraph has been told Sheens has a clause in his contract stating if the Tigers fail to make the finals the veteran coach can be shown the door.
    The catch is Sheens has to be paid out up to half of his contract - a situation the joint venture club cannot afford to get itself into.
    We can also reveal that Tigers directors discussed moving Sheens on at a board meeting three weeks ago.
    Privately, some suggested the Kangaroos coach be shown the door with two years to run on his contract.
    But the problem is the club cannot afford to sack Sheens and then recruit a new head honcho in a move that would cost up to $1 million.
    Further complicating the scenario, there are no better alternative coaches currently off contract and available to take up the Wests Tigers role next season.

Despite the move being discussed at board level, Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said Sheens' position was not under review.
    "Tim's position is not under review," Humphreys said.
    "We, as a club, have committed ourselves to Tim and we see him as the best man for the job moving forward.
    "The fact that some people continue to look for opportunities to push an anti-Tim agenda is out of our control.
    "The fact that the media also continues to give it more credit than it deserves is unfortunate."
    The Sheens detractors point to the fact the 669-game coaching veteran has only made three finals series in the past 15 seasons.
    The Sunday Telegraph has been told Tigers directors have discussed telling Sheens to move his entire support staff - recruitment manager Warren McDonnell, physiotherapist Andrew Leeds and football manager Bryan Hyder - out of the club over the off-season.
    On the field, the Tigers have disappointed this season after opting to move on props Bryce Gibbs and Andrew Fifita and recruit Kiwi Test forward Adam Blair from the Melbourne Storm.
    Blair, purchased to add an intimidatory edge to the Tigers pack, has failed to deliver value for money.
    At the Sydney Roosters, club powerbrokers are convinced the game has gone past 25-year veteran Smith, with Tricolours management poised to appoint Jason Taylor into the head coaching role for next season.
    The Bondi Junction outfit can then shift all its attention towards luring Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy to the Sydney Roosters for the 2014 season.

No Video????

Comment

Lets pray its true

Comment

Maybe our dimwit management want sheens

Comment

Been reading the Chookpen me thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Chook View Post
            James Hooper is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by bondi paul View Post
              Maybe our dimwit management want sheens
              id end myself

Comment

It's funny you say that, because upon reading the article the first thing I thought 'well that's a Chookpen fantasy, right there!'

Ditch Smith, appoint Taylor, chase Bellamy.

Comment

It will happen,,,come november all will be anounced

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post
                    id end myself
                    I take it my Charlotte Dawson joke was a little too dark. Perhaps I shall go to bed.

Good night all. I am glad this year is finally done.

Comment

Sheens aint going anywhere.

Bwian... who knows?

Comment

I wouldnt be suprised if Taylor does get the nod.

Comment

You beat me to it! It only takes one deluded fan to post their fantasy on here and the media picks it up as a story and runs with it. How embarrassment.
                          "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                          Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Oooohhhh yeh lets just swap coaches...can see what sheens can do for us . Simple. That way brian gets to keep braith as his own, and they can still share the stimulating pressers together
                            1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

If they're dumb enough to let Minichello captain they may as well let Smith coach.

If they replace Smith with Taylor, give him a clean slate with no baggage and that means no Mini.

Chook.

Comment

Working...
                              X