Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I still have massive doubts on Smith....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still have massive doubts on Smith....

I know there are plenty of people on here getting excited about Brian Smith coming on as coach but I cant say I am one of them. I have massive doubts on his ability to win us a comp given the scars from his past and the impact he seems to have on players now. I dont think there will be too many lining up to join us so to speak.

I dont really buy the whole "but he will get our club in shape" line just because he is big on discipline. Remember we have a coach now with no discipline so anyhthing would have been an improvement.

I think Kearney or McGuire would have been a better choice. Young energetic coaches looking at getting a break who have done their time.

Just my two cents

I'm with you Dolphin

I have my reservations as well. He has a reputation of "cleaning up a club". In 3 years at the Knights, apart from getting rid of the druggos and deadwood, the Knights finished 15th, 9th and look like missing the 8 for the third year running - having lost 7 from their last 9

If he has the same "success" here, he would be told to pack his bag and given a nice severence pay.
    Last edited by Mad Morley; 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

IMO it could go that way youve both mentioned.

Or he could just break that cherry.

At least he will be hungry. Its the one thing Smiffs never achieved, winning a comp.

Personally I want us to get away from the signing big names mentality. We need hungry players looking for a chance not players looking for a pay day.

I also respect the fact Smiff likes the traditions of the game, he stated that was a big attraction for him coming to a foundation club.

We have nothing to lose I guess.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

I don't actually expect Smith to win us a comp, but I expect him to put methods and practices in place that mean we may be in a postion to win the comp by the time he leaves or a year or two after.

The mess the Club is in at the moment will take a few years to sort out, just as it's taken a few years to get into that mess to start with.

There's no quick fix. And that's where the Roosters have let themselves down time and time again in the past - looking for and taking the easy way out with a quick fix that's failed.

We need a man with determination and discipline in charge. A man who has his own ideas of how a team should be run and isn't just a sheep who follows the popular theories of a season.

A man who lives and dies by his own sword - not anyone else's.

A coach who won't take shit from our playing roster and doesn't expect to be mates with them either.

That coach is Brian Smith. It's the type of coach we need to bring our club to the point where a young and talented coach could take over and possibly win the ultimate prize.

And so long as that coach is not bloody Fittler, I'll be happy.

NC
        Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

I think he's past his used by date...

Comment

NC - your post reads well re the man we need but what makes you think B Smith is that man? I must say that nothing from his days at Newcastle inspire me

He has yet to make the finals in FG in 3 years. While he may have needed time to transform the place, he surely should have put that team in the finals (assuming they bomb out this year) during his tenure

People talk about his skills with juniors. Have a look at the record of the junior teams from matts to u20's. Their "success" mirrors the FG team

I hope I'm wrong and he finds genuine success here - by that, competing in the finals in 2 years and challenging by 3rd year. I have some reservations

Comment

Didn't the Knights get the wooden spoon or close to it a year or so before Smith came?

So getting them close to the finals isn't such a bad result for his time there, espec when you remember that life after JoE was always going to be hard for that club, whoever was coaching them.

As for the juniors - I reckon that's a club's recruitment and development officer's domain. It's up to him to make recommendations and suggestions to the head coach. Not sure who that is at the Knights or how they work together.

But I remember that the juniors at Parra were usually pretty successful during his time there.

What Smith is undoubtedly good at is getting young blokes new to the NRL to make the next step and playing consistent NRL footy. And we have plenty of those blokes he can work with. And that's where we could profit from his time at the Club. Building blocks for the long term success of the Club.

I'm not under the delusion he's the perfect man for the job - but the fact is for what we need atm, which is an experienced hardhead, he was the pick of the coaches 'available'.

NC

Comment

If we make the top 8, I'll be pleased.

I don't want to be anywhere near the spoon in 2010.

Comment

I reckon we'll either just scrape in next year or just miss out on the 8. Somewhere between 7-10th.

While Smith has plenty of young talent to work with, it could take a while for him to stamp his authority on the team and have them structured and disciplined enough, mentally and physically, to play 80 minutes.

Remember they're only managing about 40 mins this season.

Also, losing Fitzy will leave a huge hole in our side. And it may take a little experimenting to find the most suitable player to plug it.

NC

Comment

I have reservations too but they are more to do with the players than Smith. How will the players respond to Smith? Will they want to play for him with heart? Will they do as they're told on the field in carrying out his plans? If by his being the Roosters coach Smith is able to get them well away from the spoon and more committed, I for one will be pleased.

And as to who will fill the massive void created by the premature punting of Captain Courageous, MAubs is my pick.
                    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
                      I don't actually expect Smith to win us a comp, but I expect him to put methods and practices in place that mean we may be in a postion to win the comp by the time he leaves or a year or two after.

NC
                      Well Politis expects him to be our career coach - that's what he came out and said.
                      Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                        I have reservations too but they are more to do with the players than Smith. How will the players respond to Smith? Will they want to play for him with heart? Will they do as they're told on the field in carrying out his plans? If by his being the Roosters coach Smith is able to get them well away from the spoon and more committed, I for one will be pleased.

And as to who will fill the massive void created by the premature punting of Captain Courageous, MAubs is my pick.
                        I reckon that any player who doesn't want to respond to Smith and play for him under his gameplan will be playing for and responding to the Jets coach sooner rather than later.

And that's exactly what should happen. He's the 'boss' as it were and like the rest of us, the players should be expected to do as the boss asks.

That's where Fittler failed - he didn't want to be "bossman" he wanted to be "mate". And we all know how hard it is to dump on a mate.

And given the opportunity, I think you're right regarding Maubs replacing Fitzy as the team workhouse. But the problem is, we need him in the centres as much as we need him in the second row, unless Smithy can purchase a quality back or 3.

NC

Comment

I reckon that any player who doesn't want to respond to Smith and play for him under his gameplan will be playing for and responding to the Jets coach sooner rather than later.

And that's exactly what should happen. He's the 'boss' as it were and like the rest of us, the players should be expected to do as the boss asks.

That's where Fittler failed - he didn't want to be "bossman" he wanted to be "mate". And we all know how hard it is to dump on a mate.

And given the opportunity, I think you're right regarding Maubs replacing Fitzy as the team workhouse. But the problem is, we need him in the centres as much as we need him in the second row, unless Smithy can purchase a quality back or 3.

NC
                          Exactly what I think.

As much as I would love him to be our workhorse forward, we need his experience and stability in the centres.

Someone like Nathan Smith would be a great signing IMO, always makes 30-40 tackles a game, makes enough hitups, and can break the line occasionally too. Doesn't need to be a long-term signing, just a year or two, to do what Stagg is doing for Bulldogs, or what Luck is doing for Warriors - tackle anything that moves, and run when necessary. Mason can do all the running for them if need be.

Obviously someone like Waterhouse or Stewart would be better, as they offer ball skills, defence, and a high workrate running game to boot, as well as being younger than other workhorses like Andrew Ryan and Steve Simpson, but the money to pick up someone like that probably isn't worth it if we plan to move Morbs or Symonds into the backrow regularly in years to come.
                          Last edited by The Mack; 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Som
                            eone like Nathan Smith would be a great signing IMO
                            That would be good, cause then I wouldn't get confused b/w him and Lewis whenever I'm watching Penwif

Comment

NC

I though you posted "dump on a NATE" when i first read that!

Comment

Working...
                              X