More than just a RTS strip !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More than just a RTS strip !

It was probably a safe bet that last week's Toyota Cup match against the Rabbitohs would go down to the wire.

All four games between the two clubs in both NRL and NYC this year have been gripping encounters.

In saying that, no one would have expected a heroic last minute strip and try on the buzzer to end arguably the greatest ever season of matches between the two biggest arch-rivals in rugby league.

Speaking of the strip, it was an amazing effort from 2012 NRL debutant Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (RTS).

For the very few who haven't seen it, we were behind by two points with 40 seconds left on the clock and the Rabbitohs had the ball with a full set of six up their sleeve.

That was until RTS raked the ball and three plays later we score out wide thanks to a third try for great young centre Curtis Rona.

In the aftermath we have since found out the strip (which must surely now rival Mini's great effort against the Tigers) was not a moment of brilliance but an orchestrated effort from both Roger and Kane Evans.

"It was a last minute plan we had where Kane and I just stood in the defensive line at the scrum instead of packing in which we would normally do," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"We just sprinted out of the defensive line and I grabbed their attacker first and Kane was screaming rake it, rake it and I was just doing my best while Kane was actually holding our own players away so they wouldn't get involved in the tackle so it would stay a one-on-one strip."

Great football smarts from two young men who seem destined to be playing in the NRL together next year.

For Tuivasa-Sheck, it was a triumphant return to the NYC, however in his predictably humble nature it wasn't all positive when reviewing his efforts in the match.

"It was great to just be back in the change rooms and preparing with all the boys again." he said.

"Out on the field I was reasonably happy but after spending the past month on the wing I feel like I got lost positionally at times at fullback so that is something I am really working on this week."

The win topped off a great week for RTS, after he won the Arthur Beetson Medal for NYC player of the Year at the end of season Jack Gibson Awards Night.

"It was such an honour to win the award and something I wasn't expecting," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"I was having such a great time on the night with my mum there and I was proud to win the award with her there, it was a win for both of us."

With the medal in the bag, Tuivasa-Sheck now has his focus on the massive task at hand this weekend when the youngsters take on Toyota Cup heavyweights the New Zealand Warriors.

"We have lost and drawn with them this season and we know the exact way that they play," he said.

"They are just so big and physical so everyone needs to man up and really give it their best.

"We need to just run at their forwards hard and fast all day straight up the middle and hope they tire first."

Being the Warriors and having represented NZ School boys in League and Union, surely Tuivasa-Sheck has a few mates in the team he will be confronting this weekend.

"Ha yeah there is quite a few and there has been plenty of banter on Facebook this week that's for sure."

Legend!

Originally posted by justjuice1992 View Post
    It was probably a safe bet that last week's Toyota Cup match against the Rabbitohs would go down to the wire.

All four games between the two clubs in both NRL and NYC this year have been gripping encounters.

In saying that, no one would have expected a heroic last minute strip and try on the buzzer to end arguably the greatest ever season of matches between the two biggest arch-rivals in rugby league.

Speaking of the strip, it was an amazing effort from 2012 NRL debutant Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (RTS).

For the very few who haven't seen it, we were behind by two points with 40 seconds left on the clock and the Rabbitohs had the ball with a full set of six up their sleeve.

That was until RTS raked the ball and three plays later we score out wide thanks to a third try for great young centre Curtis Rona.

In the aftermath we have since found out the strip (which must surely now rival Mini's great effort against the Tigers) was not a moment of brilliance but an orchestrated effort from both Roger and Kane Evans.

"It was a last minute plan we had where Kane and I just stood in the defensive line at the scrum instead of packing in which we would normally do," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"We just sprinted out of the defensive line and I grabbed their attacker first and Kane was screaming rake it, rake it and I was just doing my best while Kane was actually holding our own players away so they wouldn't get involved in the tackle so it would stay a one-on-one strip."

Great football smarts from two young men who seem destined to be playing in the NRL together next year.

For Tuivasa-Sheck, it was a triumphant return to the NYC, however in his predictably humble nature it wasn't all positive when reviewing his efforts in the match.

"It was great to just be back in the change rooms and preparing with all the boys again." he said.

"Out on the field I was reasonably happy but after spending the past month on the wing I feel like I got lost positionally at times at fullback so that is something I am really working on this week."

The win topped off a great week for RTS, after he won the Arthur Beetson Medal for NYC player of the Year at the end of season Jack Gibson Awards Night.

"It was such an honour to win the award and something I wasn't expecting," Tuivasa-Sheck said.

"I was having such a great time on the night with my mum there and I was proud to win the award with her there, it was a win for both of us."

With the medal in the bag, Tuivasa-Sheck now has his focus on the massive task at hand this weekend when the youngsters take on Toyota Cup heavyweights the New Zealand Warriors.

"We have lost and drawn with them this season and we know the exact way that they play," he said.

"They are just so big and physical so everyone needs to man up and really give it their best.

"We need to just run at their forwards hard and fast all day straight up the middle and hope they tire first."

Being the Warriors and having represented NZ School boys in League and Union, surely Tuivasa-Sheck has a few mates in the team he will be confronting this weekend.

"Ha yeah there is quite a few and there has been plenty of banter on Facebook this week that's for sure."

Legend!
    Kane Evans - an enforcer & a thinker. I like it!!!

Comment

That was awesome. RTS wanted that ball and was prepared to rip the souffs player's arms off to get it.

Once again RTS shows why he must wear the number 1 next year. He's a thinker and a doer and he cannot languish in the lower grades while Uselesschello farks up everything in both attack and defence for another year.

Chook.

Comment

Seems a real shame losing Curtis Rona to the Cowboys next year, after he has scored 3 tries for us in a finals game.
        The year 2013 marks the beginning of the Roosters next 'decade of excellence', and it will prove to be more successful than the last!

Here's looking at you, kid.

Comment

Great play from RTS, but I thought Rona had blown it by stepping back inside and not heading for the corner...

I never understand why teams that are behind and without the ball with seconds to go continue to have 2 and 3 men in tackles.

Comment

From what I've seen of Roger he appears to have the skills of a number 6. Plus he seems smart too!
            In the meantime he'll learn a lot from his perspective of play from fullback.
            He's a very exciting prospect.
            Thanks POS, you may just have found us a superstar.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
              From what I've seen of Roger he appears to have the skills of a number 6. Plus he seems smart too!
              In the meantime he'll learn a lot from his perspective of play from fullback.
              He's a very exciting prospect.
              Thanks POS, you may just have found us a superstar.
              Maybe RTS could turn out to have a career similar to Lockyer, by spending the first half of his career at fullback and then switching to 5/8th. Don't want to put any pressure on him, but geez it would be bloody brilliant if he could turn out to be near as good as Lockyer!
              The year 2013 marks the beginning of the Roosters next 'decade of excellence', and it will prove to be more successful than the last!

Comment

The comment from RTS about losing his way at fullback (after spending it on the wing in FG) highlights the necessity of getting him blooded early in 2013 at FB.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rooster Oracle View Post
                  Maybe RTS could turn out to have a career similar to Lockyer, by spending the first half of his career at fullback and then switching to 5/8th. Don't want to put any pressure on him, but geez it would be bloody brilliant if he could turn out to be near as good as Lockyer!
                  A Lockyer with even better footwork and without the 'Boganism' would be great!

Comment

Two things I have found out from a source close to the club.

(People know the Cannon knows.)

1. Minichello is going to play next year, as captain.

2. It will be on the wing.

Small mercies.

Comment

Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                      A Lockyer with even better footwork and without the 'Boganism' would be great!
                      Yes, without being too fussy of course!

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Small mercies.
                        If this is true John and I have no reason to doubt your source, that is a ridiculous decision to have a winger as captain, it is just not ideal at all! Also if the call has come this early to appoint Mini captain, imo this has most likely come from Nick, as Trent would not have had a chance to make a decision yet, and if this is the case it is a joke as this should be a call made by the coach!

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post
                          Kane Evans - an enforcer & a thinker. I like it!!!
                          Me too. It looks like Evans was the hero there. He had an awesome year. Still Raw but he takes ownership of his game and his hit ups are absolute quality. The great props never seem to waste their energy. Every time they hit it up or make a tackle, it counts. Evans has this quality. IMO, he is the best of this young group of players and you can throw RTS and Moga in. SBW will be an important factor in the development of these youngsters too. Hopefully they will get some inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post

Small mercies.
                            Hog Wash! Mini is at the mercy of Our premiership coach. According to someone close to someone who knows someone.

Comment

Originally posted by fowl View Post
                              Hog Wash! Mini is at the mercy of Our premiership coach. According to someone close to someone who knows someone.
                              And just whom might that be?
                              "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

Working...
                              X