High school talent earns his wings at Roosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High school talent earns his wings at Roosters

KYLE O'Brien is flying towards his NRL dream. The Townsville rugby league player will be flown to Sydney every week for SG Ball games with the Sydney Roosters next year after the Bondi club secured his signature recently.

O'Brien - who is about to finish Year 11 at Kirwan State High School - will play in the under-18 competition while completing his Year 12 studies.

The 17-year-old Mackay junior said he was pumped to have landed the unique opportunity.

"It's like having a dream come true," he said.

"I never really expected to get something like this and everyone in my family is pretty psyched about it.

"It's exciting and I'm just rapt to be given a chance like this."

The SG Ball competition is a NSW-based league that also features a Melbourne Storm outfit and another side from Western Australia.

The competition's closest Queensland equivalent is the under-18 Mal Meninga Cup, which is played between representative teams such as the Townsville Stingers, Northern Pride and Mackay Cutters.

"When I was about 14 they (Sydney) wanted to sign me to a scholarship but I said no," O'Brien said.

"But this year they got in contact with my manager again and (I) decided it was a good opportunity.

"I'll probably get flown down on Friday mornings to train and come back on Saturday or Sunday."

Kirwan rugby league coach Dave Ackers said O'Brien had the potential to make an impact in the SG Ball.

"He's six foot four (195cm), 106kg and he's still got a fair bit of growth left in him," he said.

"The Roosters are very impressed with his potential and what he could grow into.

"He's progressing nicely in terms of attitude and he's a good trainer, and he was probably the best player in our (GIO Cup) schoolboys quarter-final against Ignatius Park."

Ackers said O'Brien's arrangement with the Roosters was very rare for a player based more than 2000km from Sydney.

"It happens in southeast Queensland and I'm pretty sure they (Sydney) have a couple of Brisbane players in the SG Ball squad," he said.

"But it's very rare for a kid from north Queensland to be flown to those games on a weekly basis."

Another notable Kirwan name signed to an NRL club next year is Francis Winterstein, who joins the Brisbane Broncos' national youth competition squad.

Francis is the younger brother of Cowboys winger Antonio, who began his NRL career at the Broncos

Fark that's MASSIVE for a 17 year old.. 195cm 107kg.. Could be anything in a few years. What are Daniel Tupou's stats?

Comment

good to see pos is still active

Comment

The size of some of these kids nowdays is extraordinary..

Evolution in full view..

Or it's the steroids in the chicken..

Comment

The Roosters recruitment staff must see loads of Captain Backwards' favourite stuff in this fellow - pootential.
          All we need now is a PooTube (LOL) highlights reel.
          "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Anyone reckon pos has a thing for tall front rowers?

Comment

I think any 17yo is going to get very sick of flying that far week after week just to play footy.Especially when he has been doing that all his life at home.In my opinion this will eventually make him play with the cowboys or broncos

Comment

Originally posted by chuck View Post
                I think any 17yo is going to get very sick of flying that far week after week just to play footy.Especially when he has been doing that all his life at home.In my opinion this will eventually make him play with the cowboys or broncos
                Hopefully he will like it at the Roosters & make the move to reside there, sooner rather than later.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck View Post
                  Wouldn't it be better to loan him to a Queensland Cup side?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                    He has been active here as well Steve,and has signed two of our 16 year old guns...

Comment

was looking through the SG Ball squad for next year a couple of weeks ago, some real potential guns in that training squad

Bradley Deitz
                      Sonny Tasi
                      Taane Milne
                      Willis Meehan

Comment

Pretty lean son of a gun as well.

https://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...482_sport.html
                        Exonerate the West Memphis Three - www.wm3.org

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                          So he should be Stephen that's what he gets paid to do lol

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
                            was looking through the SG Ball squad for next year a couple of weeks ago, some real potential guns in that training squad

Bradley Deitz
                            Sonny Tasi
                            Taane Milne
                            Willis Meehan
                            A friend told me to keep an eye on Willis Meehan reckons he's a gun her son played NSW u/17's with him this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                              Anyone reckon pos has a thing for tall front rowers?
                              I'm glad someone posted what position he played. There is no mention of what position he plays in either article I found on him.

Comment

Working...
                              X