Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horrie Is God View Post
    That's better..

So it's a personal dislike of said player..

His ability doesn't come into it for you??..

Mate i gotta lol at your suggestion that Henry,Maubs & co would be preferable to Jennings..
    I'm concerned with how much game time we would actually get out of him & how disruptive a player with his poor attitude would be & I think you should re-read my previous post because I actually said that I didn't want Maubs in the centres ever again, I did say Oldfield, RTS & even Henry would be my preference to the negatives that Jennings would bring to the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Arty View Post
      I'm concerned with how much game time we would actually get out of him & how disruptive a player with his poor attitude would be & I think you should re-read my previous post because I actually said that I didn't want Maubs in the centres ever again, I did say Oldfield, RTS & even Henry would be my preference to the negatives that Jennings would bring to the squad.
      RTS is a fullback who may one day end up at 5/8th..Jennings wins this centre battle on points..

Oldfield couldn't make a Manly backline in front of George Tafua..Jennings wins this centre battle by knock out in round 3..

Henry is dirt average..He struggled to stand out in the NSW Cup..Jennings wins this centre battle by knock out after 5 seconds of Round 1..

To have success in the NRL nowdays you need to have a strong squad..

But you also need superstar players..

Without them your side looks like the Roosters sides of '09 & '11..

We currently have a squad that looks pretty dangerous but average in finishing players..

With Jennings it looks lethal..

Comment

Look I don't want Aubo in the centres as much as anyone, but in your desperation to get a "champion centre", I think you are totally ignoring this bloke's attitude & history & rather than using a crystal ball, I actually do think he is a ticking time bomb, the last bloke we bought with a similar attitude to partying etc was Big Willie & we all remember how that worked out! Robbo will not put up with it, so it is not guess work to say that they will more than likely clash, just like he has with Cleary & Gus.

What makes you think that he won't be a disruptive influence to the young blokes in our squad? (Please try & answer the question this time).

I would rather we try Oldfield, RTS or even Adam Henry in the centres, rather than sign Jennings, I really think it would be a backward step towards the old days of signing big names, when we have done so much to improve the club's culture in recent times & yes I am happy with SBW coming, because I do believe he will be a positive influence on the squad, unlike Jennings.
        You would prefer Henry in the centres?

LOL

Jennings has averaged close to twenty tries a season with a sub standard halves pairing.

Imagine the damage he could do outside Pearce, SBW, Maloney, Cordner, Guerra etc?

Roll out the red carpet for him.
        Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Look I don't want Aubo in the centres as much as anyone, but in your desperation to get a "champion centre", I think you are totally ignoring this bloke's attitude & history & rather than using a crystal ball, I actually do think he is a ticking time bomb, the last bloke we bought with a similar attitude to partying etc was Big Willie & we all remember how that worked out! Robbo will not put up with it, so it is not guess work to say that they will more than likely clash, just like he has with Cleary & Gus.

What makes you think that he won't be a disruptive influence to the young blokes in our squad? (Please try & answer the question this time).

I would rather we try Oldfield, RTS or even Adam Henry in the centres, rather than sign Jennings, I really think it would be a backward step towards the old days of signing big names, when we have done so much to improve the club's culture in recent times & yes I am happy with SBW coming, because I do believe he will be a positive influence on the squad, unlike Jennings.
          Whilst I agree that signing Willie Mason was the wrong move, I think the fact that we had a disciplinarian in Freddy as coach didn't help.
          Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Horrie Is God View Post
            RTS is a fullback who may one day end up at 5/8th..Jennings wins this centre battle on points..

Oldfield couldn't make a Manly backline in front of George Tafua..Jennings wins this centre battle by knock out in round 3..

Henry is dirt average..He struggled to stand out in the NSW Cup..Jennings wins this centre battle by knock out after 5 seconds of Round 1..

To have success in the NRL nowdays you need to have a strong squad..

But you also need superstar players..

Without them your side looks like the Roosters sides of '09 & '11..

We currently have a squad that looks pretty dangerous but average in finishing players..

With Jennings it looks lethal
            spot on!

we can participate or we can win...

Jennings made Origin last season & is obviously one of the best 4 centres in the land & frankly he impressed

Canavan along with the club have a long established history of integrity whereas the Titans have zilch (apart from 'Hoss')

the offer as it stands is typical Easts, take it or not because thats what your truly worth & make yourself a champion by turning up to training next Monday..

Jennings knows there's both money & glory up for grabs, whether he's smart enough we shall see....
            "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Originally posted by Darkone View Post
              spot on!

we can participate or we can win...

Jennings made Origin last season & is obviously one of the best 4 centres in the land & frankly he impressed

Canavan along with the club have a long established history of integrity whereas the Titans have zilch (apart from 'Hoss')

the offer as it stands is typical Easts, take it or not because thats what your truly worth & make yourself a champion by turning up to training next Monday..

Jennings knows there's both money & glory up for grabs, whether he's smart enough we shall see....
              Perfectly put..

We can participate or we can win..

Love it..

I want to win..

I'm sick of just participating..

Comment

Originally posted by Vasco View Post
                Whilst I agree that signing Willie Mason was the wrong move, I think the fact that we had a disciplinarian in Freddy as coach didn't help.
                Also Mason was a leader..The guy was like the farking pied piper..

Comment

LOL

Jennings has averaged close to twenty tries a season with a sub standard halves pairing.

Imagine the damage he could do outside Pearce, SBW, Maloney, Cordner, Guerra etc?

Good point Vasco, he did well in the origin series.

He is only 24 (ironically born on the same date as Hitler so for all you astrology lovers he may have a mean streak in him, he has anyway)

Regardless - he is approaching his peak, a good halves combination in Pearce and Maloney, I'm thinking a few have forgotten about what Maloney will bring and too much what SBW might, and if it is not all about the money for Jennings, I think he will be a huge plus for the Roosters for his strike power alone, plus his defence isn't real bad either.

I know who I'd prefer - Jennings over BJ anyday.
                  Last edited by 007; 01-09-2013, 07:16 PM.
                  "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Comment

LOL

Not in the last few years he hasn't. I read somewhere that in the last 3 years he has scored 26 tries total. Keep in mind that he is Penrith's only strike weapon. Skidmark in the last 3 years has scored 38, and he has had some injuries as well.

The thing that I feel with Jennings, is that sometimes stats are meaningless and don't tell the full story. If your working in a place you don't feel comfortable and don't have the accreditation you feel you deserve, sometimes all you need is a fresh start to prove your worth. I've been there in life, not in a football career but in life in general when I was at my old office. I have seen it happen to a lot of people as well. Some players in the NRL have amazing stats but aren't the player they are on paper, so it works both ways.
                    Last edited by davos; 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM. Reason: typo
                    Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Originally posted by davos View Post
                      Not in the last few years he hasn't. I read somewhere that in the last 3 years he has scored 26 tries total. Keep in mind that he is Penrith's only strike weapon. Skidmark in the last 3 years has scored 38, and he has had some injuries as well.

The thing that I feel with Jennings, is that sometimes stats are meaningless and don't tell the full story. If your working in a place you don't feel comfortable and don't have the accreditation you feel you deserve, sometimes all you need is a fresh start to prove your worth. I've been there in life, not in a football career but in life in general when I was at my old office. I have seen it happen to a lot of people as well. Some players in the NRL have amazing stats but aren't the player they are on paper, so it works both ways.
                      Jennings best years were a few years back, he had blistering speed and was hungry for success, nowadays he has lost some that speed as a result of a knee reco and hamstring injuries and has a terrible ego and off field attitude. I'm not saying he isn't still in the top 6 centres in the NRL but he isn't a 600k player anymore. Only Parramatta pay big dollars for outside backs and that's because their desperate. These days centre is not a key position, it's not as important as it was a few years back, most coaches want good defending centres and elect to run their second rowers out in the centre position during attacking raids and set plays. If we were talking about a fullback or Hooker which we need both, then yes pay the dollars but a centre, who only touches the ball a handful of times and relies on players inside him to excel, no thank you. Souths bought Inglis as a centre and he did nothing up until they moved him to fullback, and you can't tell me that Jennings is a better centre then Inglis lol.

Comment

Originally posted by davos:269363

LOL

Stats don't measure class...that's just seeing and knowing but more important than most things.

Comment

Originally posted by TDK View Post
                          Jennings best years were a few years back, he had blistering speed and was hungry for success, nowadays he has lost some that speed as a result of a knee reco and hamstring injuries and has a terrible ego and off field attitude. I'm not saying he isn't still in the top 6 centres in the NRL but he isn't a 600k player anymore. Only Parramatta pay big dollars for outside backs and that's because their desperate. These days centre is not a key position, it's not as important as it was a few years back, most coaches want good defending centres and elect to run their second rowers out in the centre position during attacking raids and set plays. If we were talking about a fullback or Hooker which we need both, then yes pay the dollars but a centre, who only touches the ball a handful of times and relies on players inside him to excel, no thank you. Souths bought Inglis as a centre and he did nothing up until they moved him to fullback, and you can't tell me that Jennings is a better centre then Inglis lol.
                          Jennings can create his own opportunities. He is a weapon.

Comment

Whether you like the guy or not or whether you want him here or not, fact is he would make our backs lethal. For the past few years we have had some really decent forwards and backrowers but we have always lacked speed and attacking options. Our backs have been too slow and all they could offer is dummy half running. This is the back 5 we fielded in round 1 of 2012;

1. Anthony Minichiello - Club legend but slow and offers very little in attack
                            2. Justin Carney - Has no footballing ability, only in the team because he looks like Vin Diesel
                            3. Joseph Leilua - Had potential but througout his time with us always seemed like a backrower
                            4. Mitchell Aubusson - Backrower playing in centres
                            5. Sam Perrett - Good dummy half runs but slow and to short to be decent in the air

This line-up is extremely lack-lustre and wouldnt scare anyone. But when you look at the potential lineup in 2013 I think this would scare even the best teams;

1. RTS - Very quick, elusive, agile etc
                            2. Minichello/Oldfield - Would rather have Oldfield here, he was apparently the quickest at the eagles last year
                            3. Jennings - Speed to burn and good footwork, can change a game in seconds
                            4. SKD - On his day is one of the most destructive centres in the game
                            5. Moga - Still needs improvement but alongside these guys he should grow into a really decent player

This backline when you add it to our forward pack and decent halves combo means we have no real weakness in our team (except for maybe at hooker).

So I am all for signing Jennings. Bad boys generally muck up when their team is underperforming, with this line-up no one will ever muck up at the Roosters

Comment

why would a top 6 centre who is on aPPROX 500K year go to a team who has no chance of finals , yet alone a grand final. its beyond me. if jennings was serious about his future wouldnt you go to a team who has atleast a chance of playing finals footy. doesnt winning a gf add worth to a players pay total. so tooo origin and national selection.
                              1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Geez selective quoting there Vasco, with that sort of misquoting you could become a senior editor at the Telucrap! What I said was:

I would rather we try Oldfield, RTS or even Adam Henry in the centres
                                Please note the words I have highlighted, indicating that we try Oldfield & RTS in the trials or even Henry if we need to. It might be semantics, but it conveys quite a different emphasis from what you implied I meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X