Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearce close to new contract

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226567016970

DON'T worry, Roosters fans. We haven't forgotten about you.

Mitchell Pearce is absolutely training down the house and we're told a new contract could be signed in the next "two to three weeks".

The halfback continues to impress new coach Trent Robinson, and we keep hearing Tim Sheens' Kangaroos squad for the World Cup in England is his ultimate aim.

Finally, it was very sad to hear about the passing of Eastern Suburbs icon Ferris Ashton at the age of 86.

He was always a pleasure to talk footy with, especially for a biography I wrote about his former tri-colours teammate from the 1950s Jack Gibson.

As Ferris said of their ability to get into fights on the field: "Jack and I worked off one principle: get in first.

"If you had to think about it, it was too late."

Hope so the sooner the better

Comment

Will be good for him to commit his future before the start of the season so his attention is solely on his on field role.

Comment

wouldn't surprise to see the club announce the Pearce extension at the season launch.

Comment

I say let him play for a contract all year - when that happens players lift.

Also I recall 3- 4 years ago he signed a big contract just before the Souths game (opening game of the season) and we got smashed by the rabbits and sandow played all over Pearce

Comment

Plenty of big names off contract at the end of this season.

I'm thinking they are waiting for confirmation of the Salary Cap increases before anyone confirms any major signings.

Personally I don't see Pearce leaving if the club wants him which by all indications so far he is in the long term plans.

I'm betting he will be our next captain mumbles, which will please many.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
              Plenty of big names off contract at the end of this season.

I'm thinking they are waiting for confirmation of the Salary Cap increases before anyone confirms any major signings.

Personally I don't see Pearce leaving if the club wants him which by all indications so far he is in the long term plans.

I'm betting he will be our next captain mumbles, which will please many.

that merge rumour is crap they are in the shit house for many yrs to come he wont do it. He finally has a good team around him that is building its his best oppertunity to represent and win a GF he aint stupid and its not worth the extra cash as many others have found out in the past.
              " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

Originally posted by SConcierge View Post
                that merge rumour is crap they are in the shit house for many yrs to come he wont do it. He finally has a good team around him that is building its his best oppertunity to represent and win a GF he aint stupid and its not worth the extra cash as many others have found out in the past.
                One of the more out there rumors I can recall for ages, Pearce to The Stains. Bizzaro.

I don't think they'd even be able to offer him that much more coin than we can. He definitely wouldn't be offered the captaincy either.

I'd be more worried about him going to Scumnulla to reunite with his china Carntey.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

One of the more out there rumors I can recall for ages, Pearce to The Stains. Bizzaro.

I don't think they'd even be able to offer him that much more coin than we can. He definitely wouldn't be offered the captaincy either.

I'd be more worried about him going to Scumnulla to reunite with his china Carntey.

That would be interesting. Crapulla are hitting the top of the cap as it is. Lewis, Gallen and even carney would be taking a big bite out of their cap this season and next.

The only way we would be able to keep teflon kid is if we can do that long service cap thingy, where a portion of his contract is not included in our player's cap. I wouldn't be putting ink to paper before the start of the season though. Pearce has not been proven as a halfback who may one day lead us to a premiership. We have all blamed Banastakis and smithy but this year with a new halves partner and a new coach, he has no excuses and we will truly see if he is good or Finch.
                  Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post
                    wouldn't surprise to see the club announce the Pearce extension at the season launch.
                    Yeah it's seemed pretty obvious for a while now.. will be surprised if it isn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by davos View Post
                      That would be interesting. Crapulla are hitting the top of the cap as it is. Lewis, Gallen and even carney would be taking a big bite out of their cap this season and next.

The only way we would be able to keep teflon kid is if we can do that long service cap thingy, where a portion of his contract is not included in our player's cap. I wouldn't be putting ink to paper before the start of the season though. Pearce has not been proven as a halfback who may one day lead us to a premiership. We have all blamed Banastakis and smithy but this year with a new halves partner and a new coach, he has no excuses and we will truly see if he is good or Finch.
                      Yep forgot about that cap concession mate. He'd be one of the few at the club who could gain that next year, presuming Mini does finally retire.

I agree Pearce has a lot to prove. But the last couple of times he's had quality around him he's shown he can play a bit IMO. It's just the expectations with him. I don't ever see him being the attacking genius other 1/2s are. If he has weapons to hit he can be very effective running a side around.

I thought he really performed well at Origin last season. Many didn't rate his performance but I see he was up against one of the best spines/teams in the history of the game, at least at that level, and we lost a game with a few very dodgy calls and another game by a FG. We also had a 5/8 who was new to Origin. He did well IMO.

Those calling for Reynolds to play Origin after 1 season of 1st grade IMO are loco.

He is only 23 isn't he??? Dang that's young really and he's our second most capped player isn't he???

Really we've invested this far, would be silly to let him go now.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Agreed stsae, can't wait for the club to extend his contract, he really wants that WC tour to the UK this year, he desperately wants a Kangaroo jumper like his old man.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae:275878
                          Originally posted by davos View Post

Yep forgot about that cap concession mate. He'd be one of the few at the club who could gain that next year, presuming Mini does finally retire.

I agree Pearce has a lot to prove. But the last couple of times he's had quality around him he's shown he can play a bit IMO. It's just the expectations with him. I don't ever see him being the attacking genius other 1/2s are. If he has weapons to hit he can be very effective running a side around.

I thought he really performed well at Origin last season. Many didn't rate his performance but I see he was up against one of the best spines/teams in the history of the game, at least at that level, and we lost a game with a few very dodgy calls and another game by a FG. We also had a 5/8 who was new to Origin. He did well IMO.

Those calling for Reynolds to play Origin after 1 season of 1st grade IMO are loco.

He is only 23 isn't he??? Dang that's young really and he's our second most capped player isn't he???

Top rant mate.

Comment

this is where the value and strength is in pearce
                            " A man can only walk as far as he can see"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Arty View Post
                              Agreed stsae, can't wait for the club to extend his contract, he really wants that WC tour to the UK this year, he desperately wants a Kangaroo jumper like his old man.
                              It would be nice if a players top priority was success at the Roosters. Anyway I expect like others he will be resigned before the season begins.

Comment

Working...
                              X