Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearce gets Laurie's approval

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226588706758

I DON’T know what was going on in Mitchell Pearce’s life last year and I don’t know what was going on behind closed doors at the Sydney Roosters.

What I do know is I like what I see in the countdown to 2013.

Mitchell looks happy and he looks fit. It’s a real good sign for NSW.

It seems as though Mitchell has sorted some things out that probably needed sorting out.

Now his focus is back on being a footballer.

He is also showing signs that he wants to become a leader at the Roosters.

When that happens, he will only be better for us at Origin time.

This is leading to the point I want to make first up this year, before the debate even gets going.

Next Thursday night the Roosters take on the Rabbitohs in the NRL season opener and Mitchell Pearce goes head-to-head with Adam Reynolds, the man most consider his main rival for the NSW halfback spot.

Let me tell you, I’m like the rest of the fans out there, I can’t wait for Thursday.

It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this much anticipation coming into a new rugby league season.

You have to go all the way back to the early 1990s, when the game was absolutely flying, to remember this much excitement.

And being the NSW State of Origin coach gives me even more reason to look forward to the year ahead, and the opportunities ahead of us.

Since taking over as Blues coach, probably the question I get asked most is what am I thinking about the halves - and is Mitchell the bloke who can win us an Origin series?

I love the fact everyone has an opinion, but this is mine: If I had to pick my team tomorrow Mitchell would be in the side, I want him as my halfback.

In no way is this meant to be a slight on Adam Reynolds and his potential because I think he has a huge future.

Adam had a wonderful debut season last year and at some stage is going to get his opportunity, but I believe what he needs to focus on right now is improving on what he did last year for the Rabbitohs.

He has a terrific club coach in Michael Maguire and, like I said, he has all the potential, now he just
    needs time.

I had a chance to spend a bit of time with him back in January at the Emerging Blues camp we had in Sydney and I was really impressed with the way he handled himself and his knowledge of the game.

But the last thing I want to do ahead of the opening round of the season is burden him with unfair pressure and expectation; he just doesn’t need it from me.

As for Mitchell, I think he is ready to take the next step in his career and become a real leader, which is also part of the job description if you want to be the playmaker of an Origin team. You don’t want to always try to be the star, but you do have to want to take control of any situation.

Origin is played at such a breakneck speed and with such intensity that players are often playing under extreme fatigue and this is when a team can lose its way.

So this is where the half has to stand up.

It’s a big responsibility and communication skills are vital.

You have to be able to talk your team through tough times, and having that ability to move them around the field is as important as any individual aspect of your game.

Last year, for whatever reason, Mitchell just didn’t seem to be the same player I had seen over previous seasons and I think his form reflected that.

For NSW to beat Queensland this year we are going to have to play better as a team, which again goes back to the responsibilities of the halves.

And to play well you have to prepare well.

Not just for Origin, but for every game, every week, every training session.

This is what guys like Johnathan Thurston and Cooper Cronk do so well, they are consistent.

What they do at Origin time reflects what they do for their clubs every week.

They are leaders on the field and at training - so when they get to Origin and the pressure is applied, they are prepared.

When they smell the opposition fatiguing, they strike.

In a matter of minutes they can put 12 points on you, because you lapsed and they didn’t.

And so much of it comes down to individual preparation.

Overall, I don’t plan on making too many changes from what we have done over last couple of years.

Obviously suspensions, injuries, and complete loss of form can dictate selections.

I remember back to after that third game last year and almost as soon as the players walked off the field everyone was debating what changes NSW needed to make next year.

We can’t keep going back to square one, we have to move forward, and I believe Mitchell Pearce is the way forward.

We have invested a lot of time him.

He is 23 years of age and he has played nine Origin games. This will be his seventh season of NRL.

I believe he is ready to take the next step in his career.

I can’t wait for Thursday night.

I dont mind pearce but he is seriously over rated, he is nothing more then a average half back that has good defense. What is all the hype about, week in week out we watch his uncreative & inaccurate kicking game, sometimes he pulls off good kicks, but this bloke struggles to even trap a team in goal.

Comment

Thankyou Laurie Daley, you must have taken notes from Ricky Stuart on how to relate to your players. Mitchell can start the season without the media scrutinising over whether he'll be the NSW HB or not (and he's also shot Reynold's lol@souffs scum ambition this year out of the water), so now Mitchell can have an even clearer head.
      Thanks again Laurie.

Comment

He's forever had all the excuses in the world as to why he can't deliver a big game on a consistent basis. This is the year where he finally has more strike power outside of him. If he can't fire up this year he'll never fire up and the excuses will keep rolling in.

Still worried about his ability to perform in big games as well as big moments in matches where he tends to go missing; and isn't able to deliver the pass, kick or steer the team around as it needs at that precise moment. No doubt he had a pretty solid statistical year last year in terms of Try Assists and LB Assists, but it's his ability to deliver in high pressure situations which is holding him back. Guess we'll see this year eh

Comment

Originally posted by Alex View Post
          I dont mind pearce but he is seriously over rated, he is nothing more then a average half back that has good defense. What is all the hype about, week in week out we watch his uncreative & inaccurate kicking game, sometimes he pulls off good kicks, but this bloke struggles to even trap a team in goal.
          I'd say that Gronk and Thurston are over-rated on those grounds.

Thurston can't win games alone like Carney can. The Cowboys have never won a premiership let alone gotten to a GF with him (and they've had talent/geography on their side!!!)

Gronk is boring... again, I never see him do much or win games single handedly. He's the result of a dominant team which can do no wrong.

DCE and Reynolds are the same. Both got excellent reputations as rookies because their teams were kicking @$$.

Halfback is the kind of position where if you pass to a superstar player and they score YOU look good.

If your team is poor, even if you do some amazing kicks/passes/stabs, they won't do anything with you. Also your forwards will leave you having to rush your plays because they won't secure the ball properly or give you time/field position.

It's very situational and I don't think your average fan/viewer can pick out a good half in a rubbish team.

---

There's something that ALL of the selectors and commentators see in Pearce just by looking at his technique. He passes left and right perfectly, is good at finding space, has extremely fast legs, defends well and is an accurate kicker.

To be fair, while the Roosters have been $hit, we have scored most of our tries against play off kicks from the one and only... Mitchell Pearce. Fluke? I think having Tupou, Sheck, Mini, Jennings, SKD and SBW will give Pearce a good chance to show of his talent.

He'll look good because those guys read the game at his pace and see the opportunities he can.

No offence to previous teams but our centres and wingers have basically all been back rowers who aren't quite good enough for the back row. Smith's theory always seemed to be to season back rowers by chucking them out on the wing. Go figure... he was $hit!!!!

Yeah... IMO Pearce will kill it this year. If he can't then maybe he isn't Origin quality.
          Last edited by ism22; 03-02-2013, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Thurston took the Cowboys to the 2005 Grand Final

Comment

The fact that Laurie has come out to support Pearce before Thursdays game is suspicious, why does he need too, he hasn't mentioned any other player and their positions since his appointment. I think it's bad timing from the NSW coach, the Queenslanders never entertain this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by TDK View Post
                The fact that Laurie has come out to support Pearce before Thursdays game is suspicious, why does he need too, he hasn't mentioned any other player and their positions since his appointment. I think it's bad timing from the NSW coach, the Queenslanders never entertain this nonsense.
                They've won the last 7 so there's no speculation about what needs to change in order for them to produce results.

Comment

Together, Pearce & Maloney will win Origin

........& give the premiership a mighty shake!
                  "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Laurie Daley? I was hoping the article was gonna be about Spina . A Roosters legend

Comment

Originally posted by ism22 View Post
                      They've won the last 7 so there's no speculation about what needs to change in order for them to produce results.
                      And we have lost seven, so there is no need to go public with anything at this stage of the season, it happens to be that Souths are playing the Roosters and Mitchell is up against Adam, so Laurie is giving a hint that the position may be up for grabs, otherwise say nothing. There is 14 other clubs playing and he hasn't mentioned anything about any other player, very strange that's all.

Comment

IMO Pearce will have a very big season. May even win the Dally M!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1967 View Post
                          IMO Pearce will have a very big season. May even win the Dally M!!!!
                          Based on what? All the hype you've been reading this off-season?
                          This hype has us all fired up for Mitchell this season.

Comment

New South Wales were two terrible refereeing decisions away from a clean sweep of the Queensland Maroons. This was not Mitchell Pearce's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                              Thurston took the Cowboys to the 2005 Grand Final
                              North Queensland had a fantastic forward pack with some good backline players. Without Thurston they came within a bee's dick of defeating our Roosters in the 2004 preliminary final.

Comment

Working...
                              X