• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game's evolution about to take another leap forward

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...316-2g78f.html

Game's evolution about to take another leap forward
    March 17, 2013
    Phil Gould

I get the feeling we could be on the verge of another shift in the style of rugby league being played by a number of teams in the NRL competition.

Two reasons.

First, the referees are this year clamping down heavily on the ''no hand on the ball in the tackle'' interpretation, which could well result in an increase in play-the-ball speed. This will be welcome relief to a number of teams who have struggled to find attacking potency in recent years as they suffocated under a wall of defenders, wrestling the life out of their game. If we could just somehow ban this ridiculous third and fourth defender coming in at the legs of the tackled player, the game would loosen up a lot more as well. I will talk more on this point another time.

Second, it appears just about every team is playing with the same strategy, structures and plays as everyone else. If every team played in the same coloured jerseys you wouldn't be able to tell them apart, so identical are their methods of attacking football. My feeling is that this style doesn't necessarily suit many of the sides.

Don't get me wrong; I'm enjoying the football and not for one minute am I second-guessing the coaches. These structures of attacking football must be considered the best way to play the game because all coaches are using them.

I see a lot of effort going into games and these attacking formations but not all teams are getting the desired results. A case in point could be the St George Illawarra Dragons. They did a lot of good things on Friday night but were clearly beaten on the scoreboard by the Broncos. Yet for most of the match, they outpointed the Brisbane boys in a number of areas. The Dragons were fit, strong and quick. They looked organised and it was obvious they had a plan. Their enthusiasm was great. They had the Broncos on the back foot and exhausted for most of the match.

This team was well prepared. What more does a coach have to do?

The problem for the Dragons is that in the final wash-up, they had more than enough ball at the business end of the field to win 10 matches but by the time the full-time siren sounded, they had scored only one try through their big front-rower bowling over the top of some tired defenders.

While they did what they did really well, when it wasn't working for them, they continued to do the same things over and over again, each time expecting a different result.

I'm not singling out the Dragons. I see a number of teams in the same situation. Not only can't they change tack during the course of a match, they don't change from week to week and sometimes from season to season, despite constant frustration.

If nothing changes, nothing changes. My attitude was always that I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees. If the style of football doesn't suit the skills of the players at your disposal, you need to make adjustments. This takes courage, a whole lot of self-belief and the support of the playing group who are prepared to accept they must step aside from the norm and be a bit individual in their approach to the game.

I'm not so sure this fits the mould of the modern-day footballer, however. Players today are judgmental of their coaches. They tend to prefer stuff you don't have to think about too much. Players appear comfortable in their own little work spaces, doing the same things over and over regardless of their opponents. They are sometimes influenced more by what other teams are doing and feel they need to look the same or they must be doing it wrong.

I place a lot of the blame for this mentality on the way our kids are coached. I see a lot of schoolboy teams and junior rep teams coached as if they are NRL teams. This is one of my frustrations when watching junior football. Kids are typecast in a specific role and a specific zone from such a young age these days that I don't believe they are getting a rounded education in the game.

Our junior-league football, right from the mini and mod versions of the game, does not encourage the development of playmakers or the necessary grounding in simple skills such as catching, passing, kicking, footwork, support play and so on. I think a lot of talented kids are falling through the cracks because they are obliterated by the obsession with size and power that junior league football has favoured.

Mind you, the moment winning takes precedence over development, coaches will adopt the successful formula of the day for fear his side will be disadvantaged or his players will question why they have to be different to everyone else. Even at NRL level, if someone comes up with a play, a strategy or an angle that produces a try or a defensive technique that wins a game, you can bet your life it will be in every team's playbook the following morning.

I can take you back almost 50 years and describe how the game, this never-ending battle between attack and defence, has evolved to produce the structures we have today. Most of the changes in these decades have come as a result of four major factors: the influence of a coach, the unique talents of an individual player, rule changes and full-time professionalism.

From unlimited tackle football to the four-tackle then six-tackle rules. Jack Gibson brought statistics, player evaluation and accountability. Warren Ryan brought science and strategy that still have great influence over just about every aspect of the modern game today. Tim Sheens and Wayne Bennett coached the super teams of the early 1990s with talent to burn and a football dominance to match.

In modern times, the likes of Craig Bellamy and Des Hasler are most influential. Imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Individual players have changed the course of play. Any of the great playmakers who excelled for a period forced rival coaches to scour the land for another one just like them, only to find they were one of a kind and if you didn't have the original, it was difficult to replicate the football he produced.

Regarding rules, if defences started to dominate the attack and tries were hard to come by, coaches would scream for things to be changed to loosen up the play.

Once we had gone too far the other way, coaches would find a way to slow it back down again. Our game has progressed through this complex process of action and reaction; quite often it has been more like overreaction.

Full-time professionalism has made players better at just about everything physical. I just wonder if we've actually made them think better. Or have we simply made them more machine-like in their delivery? It would make an interesting study.

I get the feeling that we may be on the verge of something different. Maybe even a trip back in time to discover some style of play that worked long ago. Back to the future is sometimes a great place to start.

We will watch the remainder of the season with great interest.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

the junior league acroos the dutch has a very old school approach as most local coaches there dont no any different but is not detrimental as the basics need to be instilled

the coming years you'll see more creative 9,6,7 & 1 types from NZ as they attract more from rugby at the schools level

RTS is the perfect example of rugby talent moving to league & promotion to NRL
    "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

"Evolution"? The game's been going backwards for 20 years. A pale shadow of a once great game.

Comment

Have to agree with Verlaine. Origin is a prime example, whilst I appreciate how athletic and fit these kids are nowadays, the game itself is just not as appealing as it once was. The wrestling in my mind has destroyed a small part of the game which I'm afraid we'll never get back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost:286805
          "Evolution"? The game's been going backwards for 20 years. A pale shadow of a once great game.
          I don't agree at all. I watch the games from the 70s, the disgraceful play the balls and the absolute thuggery and just think howuch better it is now. Back then players who were not as gifted made up for it by taking off heads, eye gouging etc.
          The game is a lot cleaner, played by far superior athletes. You will never convince me that the Melbourne Storm of today wouldn't absolutely annihilate the top teams of yesteryear.
          Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

Gus on his sopebox again

Comment

Im with Verlaine the game was great in the late eighties and early nineties. The only rules that ive liked since is the 40/20 and 10m rule.Its natural that as athletes change the game will too but not to the extreme that it has...but then look at union sam ecrappy game for a hundred years.
              They got rid of the scrum to reduce penalties but i feel penalties are higher than ever.
              For me a knock on was you dropped the ball in front of you on the ground not this if you jiggle it doesnt fall constitutes a knock on and if a bloke fumbles it into a player in front of him stiff shit play on bad luck for the other bloke if he cant take advantage of the loose ball.Then we have countless double movements that they call momentum yeah right more bullshit to irate the fans.
              A lot of coaches lobby to have the rule changes to suit their style..Bennet was of this in the nineties.Smart coaches exploit them.
              Yesterday one thing I noticed about our blokes is that they never really hold or wrestle the players as it gives good advantage and slows the play down but our blokes constantly get put on their back .Warriors did that in first half but slackened in the second hence quicker play the balls etc .
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

They should ban wrestling tactics COMPLETELY and the game will improve by 1 000 000%

Also we need a team in Perth. Not only it'll bring revenue but we need another big city team. I know alot of dinosaurs say NOOOOOO. "Why do we need to expand" or "Expand, but not a big city just get the bears back or the pies back".

Im sorry but the good ole days are over. The days of loyalty and playing for the love of the game and a meat pie after ARE LONG GONE. Adding a Central Coast team isn't expanding. Its fishing where the fish are. Were not reving foundation teams.

We need a big city team like Perth. Accuse me of "crushing the suburban team spirit" or trying to model our game on America but that's going FORWARDS.

We need to Americanize our game more. The only thing I dont like about the American platform is that they overdo it sometimes eg. when there's a penalty they go to NFL HQ, too many expert opinions and analysis, overadvertising.

but I like there enhanced images on the screen, their looking ot the future approach(big stadiums, not suburban grounds) the fact that they gain as much revenue as possible
                '
                The problem with the Australian platform is that were too conservative. I was on LU the other day and some guy suggested that we need the old collars back and the cotton shirts.

One said that we should go back to suburban grounds. He said who cares about competing with other codes and getting max revenue. Just keep it the same as it was in the 70's and 80's when it was at its peak. Stop trying to expand. Bring back foundation teams and only cater for League fans so why need a team in Melbourne?
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That my friends is a dinousaur approach
                Last edited by Lemon_Goat; 03-17-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
                  I took it as meaning The games constantly evolving and Gus is trying to point out the next direction he thinks it will take???

It's only your opinion the games gone backwards, one I happen to agree with, but it's still only an opinion mate. The games evolved just not how we would like it to.

Anyone that's been involved with junior footy over the last 20 years, especially in NSW, will surely agree with Gus and his worries with what's been happening with kids and the lack of skills development. The 1/2s, or lack of, in the NSW Origin side over the last 7 years is very telling IMO.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Well I think it's true, and a good, well thought article compared to some others...

Comment

For mine league took a great step backwards when they got rid of the real scrum, used to love watching the hooker getting down into the scrum ( Benny was good at it ) it was good for a laugh, eventhough you got the feed you weren't guaranteed posession.
                      The wrestle is a blight on the game, whats the point on making sure hands are off the ball when they are still allowed to roll the attacker all over the place to slow it down.
                      Bring back the shoulder charge nothing like a good shoulder shot ( Obviously not to the head ), also looks real funny when Sandow tried it.
                      Maybe they need to look at a larger interchange bench or more interchanges allowed if they want to speed up the game as these guys are getting too tired as it is.
                      Just a few points that might improve the spectacle

Comment

Originally posted by John Corey View Post
                        I don't agree at all. I watch the games from the 70s, the disgraceful play the balls and the absolute thuggery and just think howuch better it is now. Back then players who were not as gifted made up for it by taking off heads, eye gouging etc.
                        The game is a lot cleaner, played by far superior athletes. You will never convince me that the Melbourne Storm of today wouldn't absolutely annihilate the top teams of yesteryear.
                        i dont think there has ever been a better 1,7,9 combo than what melbourne has and i dont think there will be one to match it. slater and smith in particular would not look out of place in any greatest teams of all time for mine.

Comment

There's no doubt today's teams would beat those of the 70s, 80s and even 90s. They are better drilled, better conditioned, and bigger.

But that doesn't mean the game today is better. It clearly isn't. It's just faster. Faster doesn't mean better. You can make the same comparison between tennis of today and tennis of, say, the 70s, 80s or 90s. Finesse is almost a thing of the past. Nowadays you just slam the ball deep into the corners and wait for a mistake. The genius of McEnroe was eventually subdued by the brute power of the next generation of players, the Lendls, Beckers and co. Bigger always wins out.

And it's the same with league. Where are the crafty five-eighths that we used to get? Where are the Percy Knights and Alan Thompsons, the Terry Lambs and Gary Hughes -- blokes who weren't quick on their feet but who understood the intricacies of the game so well and were all the more potent for it. There's no longer a place for these type of players. Five hit ups and a kick, five hit ups and a kick. Ad nauseum. It's the league equivelant of what I just said about tennis -- slam it deep into the corners and pray for a mistake.

It's a dull game compared to what it used to be -- the only team sport where it's illegal to contest posession. Madness!

The head high tackle rule has been taken to ludicrous extremes. Ludicrous! Tackles that aren't even remotely dangerous being penalised and players being suspended. As Gus has said in the past, that's what happens when you have lawyers running the game ...

Same with not being able to touch a bloke while he's trying to catch a kick. What kind of stupid shit is that? Barrel him out of the way, grab the ball and score a try! If the fullback can't stand his ground, tough! Who agreed to these idiotic rule changes?

Anyway, I could go on and on.

I still like watching the game but sometimes I wonder what happened, I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                            i dont think there has ever been a better 1,7,9 combo than what melbourne has and i dont think there will be one to match it. slater and smith in particular would not look out of place in any greatest teams of all time for mine.
                            Laughable. What position would Smith play? Does he even know how to rake for the ball in a scrum? He doesn't know anything about scrums or scrimmage.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                              I took it as meaning The games constantly evolving and Gus is trying to point out the next direction he thinks it will take???

It's only your opinion the games gone backwards, one I happen to agree with, but it's still only an opinion mate. The games evolved just not how we would like it to.

Anyone that's been involved with junior footy over the last 20 years, especially in NSW, will surely agree with Gus and his worries with what's been happening with kids and the lack of skills development. The 1/2s, or lack of, in the NSW Origin side over the last 7 years is very telling IMO.

In NSW the mini/mod league dummy half and halfback basically just pass the ball.
                              A handover occurs if they are tackled with the ball, (Two pass rule).
                              In many cases coaches will tend to use the less talented kids in these positions.

I remember reading an article that said, the mod league in Queensland does not have this rule, and the halfback can run without penalty, this then makes the role, a key position for a good player, who also possesses ball skills, resulting in better halfbacks coming from Queensland as they mature.

Maybe a review of the "Two pass rule" in NSW is due

Comment

Working...
                              X