Game's evolution about to take another leap forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post
    In NSW the mini/mod league dummy half and halfback basically just pass the ball.
    A handover occurs if they are tackled with the ball, (Two pass rule).
    In many cases coaches will tend to use the less talented kids in these positions.

I remember reading an article that said, the mod league in Queensland does not have this rule, and the halfback can run without penalty, this then makes the role, a key position for a good player, who also possesses ball skills, resulting in better halfbacks coming from Queensland as they mature.

Maybe a review of the "Two pass rule" in NSW is due
    That only applies up to U/12`s,and it is to encourage ball movement with the kids.A lot of the good dummy halfs and first receivers use the run around play and weave their magic from there.

Comment

Originally posted by "gaz" View Post

I remember reading an article that said, the mod league in Queensland does not have this rule, and the halfback can run without penalty, this then makes the role, a key position for a good player, who also possesses ball skills, resulting in better halfbacks coming from Queensland as they mature.

Maybe a review of the "Two pass rule" in NSW is due
      Rubbish. QLD have had the same 2 pass rules as NSW in mini/mod league up to and including U12's for years, but I do agree that a full review of mini/mod rules is required, particularly the role of the pivot and dummy half.
      An ARL Pathways Steering group conducted seminars/workshops across junior clubs Australia wide in 2011 to get feedback on what changes were required in the modified game as there had been basically no changes since the introduction of the modified rules for u7-u12s in the early 80's.
      From the feedback gathered from these workshops, a number of rule changes were proposed and trialled in 2012.

My club in Queensland hosted an ARL Pathways carnival for u12's where these rules were trialled. Many of the changes were a complete wank and a step backwards in my opinion, but the one I liked was an armband system for the dummy half and first receiver.
      Essentially, a designated 9 and 7 wore an armband that identified them to the ref, and allowed them to have the ability to run the ball from dummy half/first receiver and be tackled without penalty. What I saw were clever dummy halves drawing markers out and putting them in two minds where previously they knew he was just going to pass. Similarly, smart halves were selectively taking on the line rather than just being mindless passing machines.
      The modified game has been has been stifling the development of the "craft" of 7's and 9's and I think the implementation of these rules, correctly coached, would be a step in the right direction.
      Each of these games were professionally video recorded, with tapes and feedback being sent back to the ARL and sports scientists for review, but I have heard nothing to come of it as yet

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
        That only applies up to U/12`s,and it is to encourage ball movement with the kids.A lot of the good dummy halfs and first receivers use the run around play and weave their magic from there.
        Your right spanner, however many junior coaches will put there less talented kids in these positions, as winning takes a high priority to them or the parents
        At U13s when the rule no longer applies, I feel is too late.
        It seems unfair on those players, the dummy half and the half are usually smaller players and its at this age some kids are getting bigger. The small kid then has to go up against the larger kids in the trials and are disadvantaged not just in size but now they have to relearn there role in the team.

Maybe keep the rule for Mini League, but phase it out in Mod League

Comment

Originally posted by mothballs View Post
          Rubbish. QLD have had the same 2 pass rules as NSW in mini/mod league up to and including U12's for years, but I do agree that a full review of mini/mod rules is required, particularly the role of the pivot and dummy half.
          An ARL Pathways Steering group conducted seminars/workshops across junior clubs Australia wide in 2011 to get feedback on what changes were required in the modified game as there had been basically no changes since the introduction of the modified rules for u7-u12s in the early 80's.
          From the feedback gathered from these workshops, a number of rule changes were proposed and trialled in 2012.

My club in Queensland hosted an ARL Pathways carnival for u12's where these rules were trialled. Many of the changes were a complete wank and a step backwards in my opinion, but the one I liked was an armband system for the dummy half and first receiver.
          Essentially, a designated 9 and 7 wore an armband that identified them to the ref, and allowed them to have the ability to run the ball from dummy half/first receiver and be tackled without penalty. What I saw were clever dummy halves drawing markers out and putting them in two minds where previously they knew he was just going to pass. Similarly, smart halves were selectively taking on the line rather than just being mindless passing machines.
          The modified game has been has been stifling the development of the "craft" of 7's and 9's and I think the implementation of these rules, correctly coached, would be a step in the right direction.
          Each of these games were professionally video recorded, with tapes and feedback being sent back to the ARL and sports scientists for review, but I have heard nothing to come of it as yet
          Cool, I wasn't aware of that, only based it on something I read in the paper.

I like the sound of that, hopefully the new commission will take note of the feedback

Comment

Working...
          X