This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Response To Rothfield re Minichiello

Came across this email sent to Phil Rothfield today. Makes interesting reading.

Dear Phil

I read with interest your short piece in today's paper on Matt Cooper and that in your opinion he is one veteran player who has played one season too many in the NRL. Firstly, it is very difficult to argue with your assessment I would add that his form in 2012 was so poor that a 2011 retirement would have been highly appropriate.

However, I continue to be astounded that you and many others in the rugby league media can see, and write without conviction, that a player like Cooper has played beyond his used by date, but fail to see, or more alarmingly, see but refuse to write about, other veteran players who, like Cooper, should also have retired before this season commences also.

The one obvious such player is Sydney Rooster fullback Anthony Minichiello. With the Roosters leading 16-0 well into the second half on Saturday and seemingly set for a significant and rare victory in Auckland, Minichiello found yet another way to drop the simplest of passes with the Roosters deep on attack. This led to a Shaun Johnson runaway try and a massive momentum shift in the game. The second Warriors try could certainly be blamed on James Maloney who was the dummy half, but why on earth would Minichello fall for the same dummy and head in the same direction as the A-Marker when the Roosters were defending their own line, leaving that line wide open for Godinet to score. Then of course, the third and final try when, for the umpteenth time in the past four years, a grubber kick into the in-goal area was not cleaned up successfully by Minichiello and a simple ball punch over the dead ball line turned into an air swing and a third and possible game defining third try to the Warriors. Only poor goal kicking enabled the Roosters to escape what could have been a disastrous loss, when a large win seemed inevitable.

These performances from Minichiello are common place and obvious to anyone who objectively watches the Roosters and can see just how far below he is of the standard required to be a first grade full back these days. It is no coincidence that the likes of Melbourne, Canterbury, Souths and Manly fought out last years competition when Slater, Barba, Inglis and Stewart were the best full backs in the NRL. The Roosters on the other hand finished 11th and 13th in the past few years as they have struggled to compete without a fullback of NRL standard.

It has been argued from within the Roosters that, whist acknowledging Minichiello's inadequacies, they have been reluctant to shift him until they had a suitable replacement. However, that now seems to have been used to keep his many critics within the club quiet rather than the real reason for his continual selection in the position many now consider the most important in the game, given they now have on the wing the player many believe will become the greatest ever New Zealand fullback (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck). We are all aware of the very powerful friends Minichiello has in the media and the role they play in ignoring the many faults in his game whilst highlighted only his undoubted prowess under the high ball, but I would not have thought that a man with your journalistic integrity would be a party to this continuing protection racket. Whilst the Roosters seem more concerned with not upsetting a player, who is now 8 years away from his valued 2005 form, and his media friends, than competing for premierships, that bizarre priority determination should not prevent you and others in the media from subjecting Minichiello to the some level of criticism that has been directed at Matt Cooper today.

I trust you will view (if you already haven't) the eagle cam vision of his past 99 Rooster matches (those played since his return from his 2006 injury) and assess Anthony Minichiello, like you have Matt Cooper, on not what he achieved prior to that injury and not on whether he is a good bloke with nice and powerful friends. He should be continually judged only on his contribution to the football team club that has been paid him so handsomely for so long, whilst waiting patiently for him to recapture even some of that 2005 form. Maybe then we will see somebody from the rugby league media with the intestinal fortitude to fairly report on just what a liability Anthony Minichiello is to the team he plays for each week in the NRL, and as a result, release Rooster management from the hold Minichiello's media stature obviously has on them. Ultimately this would spare all Rooster supporters the inextricable pain they go through each week knowing that they can never compete seriously in the NRL whilst he remains their fullback, and allow this once proud foundation club the opportunity to once again challenge for a premiership title.

Wtf is this crap

Comment

Disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by bravehalfbackPEARCE View Post
        Wtf is this crap
        It is our very own Fitzy at work I am suprised he has not called Rothfield an idiot
        We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
        Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

is anything said in that article incorrect???

I highly doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by pearcesworstnightmare View Post
            is anything said in that article incorrect???

I highly doubt it.
            Exactly what I was thinking.
            Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

So Mini F#%^ your mom you simple fool

Comment

thats a dog effort... you dont feed your captain to the lions you stand by him. where your loyalty? what better options have we had/got???

Comment

Sorry, am I missing something here? You can't really think that the media's coverage of Minichiello's play is objective? He is continually praised by his friends in the media despite the myriad of mistakes he make each week and this no doubt influences supporters and Roosters officials. He constantly gets in the way in attack, he can't catch a pass, throw a pass, tackle or kick and is a nightmare fielding a rolling ball but you wouldn't know it watching coverage of his play, either on electronic or in the written media. He might have been a great player for the Roosters in the mid part of the last decade but that shouldn't prevent criticism of him by either Rooster supporters or the media. If you call yourself a Rooster supporter you must want to win every game, and each game Minichiello plays fullback significantly diminshes the Roosters chances of winning that particular game. If football is just about protecting these veteran players and continually rewarding them for what they once were, with the result being secondary, then this is a quite a different view to the one I hold.
                  I think the email to Rothfield is well argued and most importantly factually correct. It might hurt to read it but if you keep doing the same thing you can't expect a different result. If you are happy with winning just 19 of our last 51 games then you are a strange supporter. If you don't think that Minichiello is a major contributor to this record then you are really following a different game to the one I follow and you can't be helped.

Comment

Newman, 1st post since joining last September.

Who wrote the email if you don't mind me asking???

And how did you come across it???

And why send it to a tool like Rothwitt???

Not that it's all wrong in content IMO, just seems a little strange the whole scenario.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

It is Fitzy using a multiple ID
                      We used to have empires run by emperors. Then we had kingdoms run by kings.
                      Now we have countries run by ………

Comment

As sad at it is everything in the article is spot on. two of the three tries where directly mini's fault. It's the same errors repeatedly that he's making. I don't want him dropped because he is a good leader, but he can't be fullback anymore!

Comment

The author is a long serving Rooster supporter, known to radio listeners as 'The Baggage Handler'. I don't know his real name like I don't know the real names of others on this site. He responded to Rothfield after he posted a piece regarding Matt Cooper playing a season too long. It seemed he was asking the reasonable question on why Cooper was being given this treatment when players like Minichiello receive no such criticism despite having a far more serious deleterious effect on his clubs chances each week. That is the context and that is why the email is to Rothfield. You don't have to like or respect someone to write to them and point out their hypocrisy, particularly when they are prominent media personalities. It hardly seems he has written in a manner that would lead anyway into thinking he has respect for Rothfield - seems to me like he has utter contempt for him.

Comment

Warning....agenda agenda.

What a load of tripe. They are obviously on a mission to destroy mini but I think he's bigger than these sick individuals.

Fortunately his teammates and coach dont agree...along with the real supporters.

Very appropriate to peddle this destabilising content to the master destabiliser....Roth field!!!

Comment

Where's the letter outlining how crap Pearce and Friend are?

Comment

Working...
                              X