No announcement yet.

Why Liu over Evans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You all can ask Chris Sandow why Lui over Evans...

Sandow will think twice in coming in with a pathetic shoulder hit on a forward....

Comment

FFS people it's L-I-U, Lui plays for the Cowboys!!

Comment

Originally posted by Braith Anasta's Wallet View Post
        Putting aside the hype and expectation of Kane Evans has anyone actually been impressed with him playing whilst he's been at Newtown?Isaac Liu was our best forward in the two trials and I believe he deserved a first up start against South Sydney but I am happy that he was rewarded early in the season.
        Rd1 vs Illawarra. Kane came on off the bench and terrorised them. After halftime their 2nd rower James Grehan took matters into his own hands by kneeing Kane in the pelvic region as he charged at the line off a penalty tap.

Rd2 vs the Vulcan Bros. Was the Jets best forward consistantly making inroads. The Kiwi commentator who interviewed Kane after the game tagged him "The Undertaker" because in 2 separate incidences, 3 opposition players left the ground injured attempting to tackle him.

Rd 3 vs Norths. Pretty ordinary game by the Jets. Norths proved to be too good unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak View Post
          Moa is 106kg and Liu would be about 104kg I'd reckon. He's always been around that 100kg mark. He might be short but his legs are tree trunks. How good was that last run of his from the kick off! Sprinted back and then tucked the ball up with both hands and braced his shoulder and sent Sandow flying and then kept pumping the legs. Our prop rotation is very impressive this year. It certainly helps that our senior prop in JWH is close to the form player in his position with Moa not far behind. Kennedy may not be as damaging as he was in early 2011 just yet but he's still making over 100m a game and 30 tackles. If he can get the mandatory penalty out of his game that would be even better. Tasi is probably not far off either. He appears very fit and if that knee issue was affecting him last year and that has been fixed he could be devastating for us. I think if Liu and Tasi get time in first grade then they might use Evans as a bench second rower the way the Titans use Taylor. He is big, quick and has an offload so come mid season when his defence and fitness are up to it he could be a weapon coming onto the left edge when Cordner switches to lock after 20 mins. That way we don't lose size either. Then you have guys like Napa and Ailaomai who I have no doubt could more than do their job from the bench. Ailaomai was excellent in the Manly trial running some great wedges and has very good second phase too. If JWH and Moa are both chosen for the test does that mean they will have the week off or is it a stand alone again this year?
          Tasi was impressive for the Jets last weekend and I was impressed with Saulala Houma, who had some very strong runs and scored a great try that reminded me of the tries that George Burgess has been scoring for $ouff$. Saulala is very powerful and seems to have the same build as George, a very big boy, near impossible to stop close to the line. Interesting to see that both Napa and Ailaomai have been selected in the second row for the Jets this weekend.

The Jets have a very good and big pack of forwards, it is just such a shame that they have Ben Jones killing them at 5/8th!! Jones is the worst footballer in the history of the game, everything he touches turns to shite!! The outside backs see no ball at all and it is not as if the forwards aren't laying a great platform for him. He is the Phil Tufnell of rugby league, can't tackle, can't pass, can't kick, can't run, why the f**k was he brought back to have anything to do with being associated with the Roosters?? The reigning premiers the Jets have 1 win from their first 4 games thanks mainly to Jones and getting stuff all from the halfback! The Jets desperately need new halves!!
          The year 2013 marks the beginning of the Roosters next 'decade of excellence', and it will prove to be more successful than the last!

Here's looking at you, kid.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rooster Oracle View Post
            Tasi was impressive for the Jets last weekend and I was impressed with Saulala Houma, who had some very strong runs and scored a great try that reminded me of the tries that George Burgess has been scoring for $ouff$. Saulala is very powerful and seems to have the same build as George, a very big boy, near impossible to stop close to the line. Interesting to see that both Napa and Ailaomai have been selected in the second row for the Jets this weekend.

The Jets have a very good and big pack of forwards, it is just such a shame that they have Ben Jones killing them at 5/8th!! Jones is the worst footballer in the history of the game, everything he touches turns to shite!! The outside backs see no ball at all and it is not as if the forwards aren't laying a great platform for him. He is the Phil Tufnell of rugby league, can't tackle, can't pass, can't kick, can't run, why the f**k was he brought back to have anything to do with being associated with the Roosters?? The reigning premiers the Jets have 1 win from their first 4 games thanks mainly to Jones and getting stuff all from the halfback! The Jets desperately need new halves!!
            Yeah mate Houma is something isn't he. He's a fitter Mose. He's probably a couple of spots down the pecking order though considering he didn't trial in first grade. I rate him though. He's one of 10 props that I believe could handle first grade. Ailaomai and Napa in the backrow is interesting. Josh plays there a lot cos of his speed and offload but unless Napa is actually going to play lock in tight I don't see him as a second rower at all.

Haven't been able to catch many Jets games this season but yes Jones does seem to be causing a problem. If the Tigers want to put Braith in at 7 ahead of Jacob Miller I wish they'd grant the young bloke a release and let him come back home. He would make an excellent utility in first grade imo. Get a bit more size on him and he could cover hooker, halves, centre and even fullback if necessary. Newtown have the forwards to win the comp again if they had a decent 6. Jacks will improve in my opinion. He's limited in terms of creativity but he can kick well and is a good distributer.

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post
              Rd1 vs Illawarra. Kane came on off the bench and terrorised them. After halftime their 2nd rower James Grehan took matters into his own hands by kneeing Kane in the pelvic region as he charged at the line off a penalty tap.

Rd2 vs the Vulcan Bros. Was the Jets best forward consistantly making inroads. The Kiwi commentator who interviewed Kane after the game tagged him "The Undertaker" because in 2 separate incidences, 3 opposition players left the ground injured attempting to tackle him.

Rd 3 vs Norths. Pretty ordinary game by the Jets. Norths proved to be too good unfortunately.
              Hi TheGman,

Thank you for your assessment. It is quite the contrast to the assessment of Kane's form I received from a long term Newtown Jets fan who was of the belief he was a boy amongst men in the reserve grade as opposed to being a man amongst boys in the under 20 competition.

Comment

Is Saulala Houma eligible to play for the Roosters, or is he contracted to Newtown? He certainly doesn't appear on the profiles page, while Ailaomai, Liu, Napa, Evans and even Tago do.

If he's not contracted to us, he will not get a game unless in exceptional cercumstances, like about 8 other props getting injured or suspended.

Comment

Yeah mate Houma is something isn't he. He's a fitter Mose. He's probably a couple of spots down the pecking order though considering he didn't trial in first grade. I rate him though. He's one of 10 props that I believe could handle first grade. Ailaomai and Napa in the backrow is interesting. Josh plays there a lot cos of his speed and offload but unless Napa is actually going to play lock in tight I don't see him as a second rower at all.

Haven't been able to catch many Jets games this season but yes Jones does seem to be causing a problem. If the Tigers want to put Braith in at 7 ahead of Jacob Miller I wish they'd grant the young bloke a release and let him come back home. He would make an excellent utility in first grade imo. Get a bit more size on him and he could cover hooker, halves, centre and even fullback if necessary. Newtown have the forwards to win the comp again if they had a decent 6. Jacks will improve in my opinion. He's limited in terms of creativity but he can kick well and is a good distributer.
                  While he certainly catches the eye, I dont think this houma bloke is first grade material. He is big and damaging yes, but Kane Evans is 4 times the footballer and in a similar mould. Id also prefer Tasi

Comment

Yes Yak, I do like the idea of bringing Miller home. He could guide the Jets to the premiership and would be great value to cover for Pearce at origin time, and he's only 20 yrs old. I get the feeling that Maloney will also be playing origin, so then we could have Morts at 6 and Miller at 7. I prefer Morts at 6 than 7. Luke Keary from the North Sydney Bears would be a great option as well!
                    The year 2013 marks the beginning of the Roosters next 'decade of excellence', and it will prove to be more successful than the last!

Comment

Originally posted by Waylander View Post
                      Is Saulala Houma eligible to play for the Roosters, or is he contracted to Newtown? He certainly doesn't appear on the profiles page, while Ailaomai, Liu, Napa, Evans and even Tago do.

If he's not contracted to us, he will not get a game unless in exceptional cercumstances, like about 8 other props getting injured or suspended.
                      I am quite sure that Houma is contracted with the Jets, but I am sure that if the Roosters wanted to bring him up there would be no dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
                        While he certainly catches the eye, I dont think this houma bloke is first grade material. He is big and damaging yes, but Kane Evans is 4 times the footballer and in a similar mould. Id also prefer Tasi
                        Yeah roz, Houma is far from being an 80 minute player and at this stage his fitness could be a concern in defense for 1st grade. As you say he would be down the pecking order at this point in time, but I would love to see what he could become if Robbo showed the interest in him and gave him a big pre season for next year. The guy has that raw power, he could be a real weapon for us off the bench! He could provide big impact, score barge over tries close to the line just like George Burgess, and I can really see him hurting people with his charges at the line.

Comment

We are blessed with forwards depth.

It's a shame we can't talk about similar depth in our backs. I can't see anyone challenging for a first grade spot until Moga is back.

Comment

Wasn't there some issues over us playing a Newtown contracted player a couple of years ago, and he ended up having to sign a contract with us in the days leading up to the game? Or am I dreaming?

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                              We are blessed with forwards depth.

It's a shame we can't talk about similar depth in our backs. I can't see anyone challenging for a first grade spot until Moga is back.
                              Your right Buddy it is a shame, unfortunately the outside backs for the Jets don't get much of a chance to show anything with Ben Jones at 5/8th, and I'm not a fan of Adam Henry as he is rather ordinary! Oldfield has been getting cobwebs on him on the wing, it's good to see him listed to play fullback this weekend so now he gets a chance to get his hands on the ball, unlike being on the wing with Ben Jones inside him.

Comment

Originally posted by roz View Post
                                I agree that he's nowhere near the player Kane Evans is but in saying that the potential that Evans holds is far beyond being a first grader. Imo Liu, Ailaomai, Napa, Evans, Houma and Tago are all capable of being bench props within the structures that Robinson has developed. I'm not saying they will all become regular first graders cos that would be ludicrous but I do think they could all fill in and do very good jobs in first grade if need be. The only problem is if we are getting down to the likes of Houma then likelihood is one of our starting props is injured and you lose a lot of leadership that affects the performances of the less experienced. So what I'm saying is if they are used on a rotational basis to gain experience they will probably do well, but if they are chosen due to a high number of injuries they may well struggle. In saying all this Robinson may very well go with Guerra and LOD this week and leave Liu out. Against the experienced pack of Canberra and having lost his 3rd most experienced forward he might feel LOD's presence is necessary.

Comment

Working...
                                X