Jennings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jennings

My only slight criticism/frustration after watching our last couple of games - Jennings is not getting enough clean ball.

Its a waste for us and him....hes keen, fit and sharp as ever...we need to find a way.

I was discussing this last night with my son. I think that because our pack is so dominating at the moment, and SBW is on the other side, Jennings doesn't see it as much. I think he needs to come in closer in the last 10 of both halves.

Comment

In time he will get alot of good ball. I think that when he played outside of sbw he looked a lot more likely. Now RTS looks like the go to player on the right edge. I wonder what the odds would be for RTS to be the highest try scorer this year.....

Back on topic, I seriously can't believe that the riff let jennings go. He was their lone strike player. The Quasimodo gould must have owed nickapopolous a favor for sure.
      Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Neither Jennings or SBW are getting that much ball. We've seen a bit more of SBW because he plays closer to the action and he's a freak.

But it'll change come the business end of the season.

Im not suggesting that it's a ploy by Robinson; but i think for now he has put an emphasis on the basics - defense and effort. So once Jennings becomes fully accustomed to the structures of the team and develops a repoire with Maloney, Pearce and co then ive no doubt we'll see his best, and more involvement, come the business end of the season.

Same with SBW. He's barely touching the ball so far. Just imagine when he doubles his involvement! Scary prospect for opposition teams.

Comment

The Dogs were rushing up in defence on that side so Maloney took the line on or rolled it inside to a second rower, it is pretty scary winning 38 nil with us pretty much only using one side of the field and our fullback doing nothing in attack all night.

Comment

Jennings was huge in defence last night.

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
              The Dogs were rushing up in defence on that side so Maloney took the line on or rolled it inside to a second rower, it is pretty scary winning 38 nil with us pretty much only using one side of the field and our fullback doing nothing in attack all night.
              I thought it had been a while since i saw someone drop a sharp inside ball. Now i know why.

The less involvment in attack from our fullback the better. Poor old Mini's crab hands are getting worse.

Comment

Its not a bad thing because mixing it up like we have been doing just makes it harder for other teams to focus on one side to defend,,,,,this way where dangerous all over,,,,

These are all tactics by the coach to vary our attacking options
                Its also good to see that where not just relying on jennings or sbw

Its all good

Comment

Yes he was quiet but we still scored 38 points.

Anyway how good is it to have SBW on one side and Jennings on the other?

Comment

I think it had a lot to do with the game plan Jack. Keep it tight, kick long.SBW didn't get a lot of ball either.
                    Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

I know what you mean. It seems that we finally have that x-factor(speed) and it is not being used. However, he is doing such a great job as our 'Mr. Reliable' on the left that I quickly forget why we bought him. I'm just glad we did. We all know what Jennings can do on his day. My fears were his tackling, handling and attitude. All top notch so far. The rest will come when we start to get more expansive.

Comment

Originally posted by John Corey:294636
                        I think it had a lot to do with the game plan Jack. Keep it tight, kick long.SBW didn't get a lot of ball either.
                        Yes its not a whinge...and if we win 38-0 it must be pretty right.

Good points about give Jennings and the team time...and yes BAW his defence has been a revelation to me.

Comment

I think everything will come together around two thirds of the way through the season when RTS is shifted to fullback and Mini to the wing. I think the reason Pearce and Maloney are on the same side of the ruck is more out of necessity than anything. You need two ball players on one side of the ruck to really threaten an Mini is simply not capable. Most teams play one half right one left and fullback as the roaming ballplayer. When Roger gets the #1 he'll most likely assume that second receiver role on the right off pearce (the rover) who'll deliver to Maloney on the left. Sure they will still move around naturally, with RTS joining in on the left on occasions but I think this structure would play to the strengths of both Jennings and SBW. Jennings has always been at his best supporting at pace off the back off a half that drifts and then straightens. Sheck's ball playing strength is his short pass which with his footwork would isolate SBW. In the 20s Sheck also used outside decoys to great effect in getting himself one on one with his man and either beating him with the step or his immense upper body strength which we haven't been able to see much of in first grade.

Right now we're limited in attack by a fullback without modern fullback skills, which means instead of having two attacking attempts per set we're restricted to one cos it's a lot to expect of a halves pairing to execute two plays perfectly when they switch from first to second receiver and vice versa within two plays. That sort of thing takes time. Once Robinson believes RTS is ready we will see the best of our attack on both sides of the field. We also might see some more intricate set plays deeper into the season. Also will be interesting to see where Moga comes back in when he returns. Most likely on the wing outside Jennings but I think he would be a weapon outside SBW. And I feel his attitude towards defence has most likely improved dramatically since last year thanks to our new coach. Imagine having RTS, SBW and Moga as your right side attack. That would just be cruel. Good times ahead but we'll just have to wait a little longer to see our team in full flight against the top teams I feel.

Comment

The dogs were offside all night on that right hand fringe, they'd jump ridiculously early off their line. It's no wonder he didn't see much ball. This isn't something that's been consistent with the first 5 rounds though, he's got plenty of quality ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                              The dogs were offside all night on that right hand fringe, they'd jump ridiculously early off their line. It's no wonder he didn't see much ball. This isn't something that's been consistent with the first 5 rounds though, he's got plenty of quality ball.
                              Yes it looked like an obvious plan to me. It back fired on them when Maloney was good enough to sell the dummy and go.

Comment

Working...
                              X