80 Minute football team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Minute football team

Our Sydney "Easts" Roosters are an 80 minute football team this season. In recent years our team physically and mentally have fallen apart in the opening 20 or closing 20 minutes of matches but this season out 1st minute and last minute intensity is the same and that for me is the most pleasing improvement.

Being an 80 minute football is what separates the top 4 teams from the rest. The way out boys defended in the final few minutes was the real telling moment. They could have conceded a late try with an attitude of who cares we've won the game but they defended harder than they did all game. Our team will go places this season, injury permitting.

Apart from last week! That second half was attrocious.

The Storm or Sea Eagles would never fall apart like that against an average side, even if they did play a perfect 40 minutes.

Having said that the Storm almost collapsed against the Broncos.

Bottom line is i dont think we're there yet. If we beat Penrith in a few weeks time i'll agree; but until then i'll always have grave fears that we can turn in a turd of a performance against the sides we should beat.

Comment

hmmm.. not yet im afraid. The second half capitulations against the Warriors and Raiders still show we have a long way to go. We need some more see-sawing, close matches. I want to see how the boys go through a massive grind to see if we can come up trumps.
      At the moment it still seems like as soon as a try is scored, and the nil defensive record in a match fades away, the boys heads drop and let in a flurry of trys. I'd like to see us go through a period of close matches with a lot of pressure before i cast judgement on whether or not we can be an 80 minute football team.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - some of these games have been pretty easy and we haven't defeated anyone noteworthy or on form

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris:294725
        hmmm.. not yet im afraid. The second half capitulations against the Warriors and Raiders still show we have a long way to go. We need some more see-sawing, close matches. I want to see how the boys go through a massive grind to see if we can come up trumps.
        At the moment it still seems like as soon as a try is scored, and the nil defensive record in a match fades away, the boys heads drop and let in a flurry of trys. I'd like to see us go through a period of close matches with a lot of pressure before i cast judgement on whether or not we can be an 80 minute football team.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves - some of these games have been pretty easy and we haven't defeated anyone noteworthy or on form
        A desperate bulldogs team is pretty noteworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post

On my way out of the SFS after the Parra game all I could think of was how I want us so badly to have another crack at Souths and of course the Rorting Storm. Then I will truly get excited..
          "It's these little things, they can pull you under
          Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

We're not an 80 minute team yet, it showed last week and the Warriors game. We'll find out later in the season.

Comment

Like everyone, I want the 2 points. But I would rather a loss and walk away knowing the team gave there all than a shallow win.

That is why I get pumped when they dont allow a stupid consolation try in at the end. It must do major damage to a team when they try their best but cant get a point on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat:294802
                Originally posted by Chook Norris:294725

But in shocking form.

I don't know about u guys but I was pretty confident we'd win that match and had a strong feeling sbw would play a blinder. I just didn't see them threatening us

When we compete well with manly, storm or souths then we'll have a true indication of where this side is at

Comment

They are a lot improved, but definitely not an 80 minute team yet, Storm last night showed they are a machine, and can grind out a win, they can be beaten, but you need at least 50% of the ball, and be on your game for every second of the game, bec ause if you slacken off for a minute, they will find you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                    You can only beat the teams your scheduled to play, but the Dogs are not half the team they were last year, they must have some serious internal issues or worse. We need to prove ourselves against the teams that play up tempo mistake free football, last nights game between storm and Souths was a good example, neither side gave an inch. Those grinding high pressure games are the ones that worry me, especially with some of our players who make the odd mistake or two on a regular basis. But all in all no complaints, life's good.

Comment

There not an 80 minute team at this stage. Penalties prove that.

Comment

I think our position on the ladder pretty much sums up where we stand at the moment.
                        I rate Storm, Vermin & Flying Vermin (in that order) ahead of us.

The good news is we are improving every week with unknown potential.
                        If we can get the consistency going to turn in 80 min efforts every week, look out.

I'm sure that we are no longer under the radar.
                        Other coaches will now be dissecting our game week in week out.

Isn't it nice to be noticed?
                        Last edited by chook 56; 04-14-2013, 12:16 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct spelling. Let me make my own mistakes ffs

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post

Before a ball was kicked if you looked at the 1st 6 rounds and said we'd be 4-2 after playing 4 of last years top 8 sides you'd take that wouldn't you mate??? And that's not even mentioning 3 games amazingly keeping the opposition scoreless.

IMO we are much further ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point regardless of opposition.

And the best bit is I reckon here is plenty to improve on as the season progresses. Becoming a true 80 min team is one of them.

We were 4-2 at this point last year from memory. But the way it's gone down, we are a different beast this year.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                            Before a ball was kicked if you looked at the 1st 6 rounds and said we'd be 4-2 after playing 4 of last years top 8 sides you'd take that wouldn't you mate??? And that's not even mentioning 3 games amazingly keeping the opposition scoreless.

IMO we are much further ahead of where I thought we'd be at this point regardless of opposition.

And the best bit is I reckon here is plenty to improve on as the season progresses. Becoming a true 80 min team is one of them.

We were 4-2 at this point last year from memory. But the way it's gone down, we are a different beast this year.

Stsaesy I reckon it's the three zero results after six games that is the most amazing stat - there have been seven teams held to zero over the first six rounds and we are responsible for three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by theticket View Post
                              Stsaesy I reckon it's the three zero results after six games that is the most amazing stat - there have been seven teams held to zero over the first six rounds and we are responsible for three of them.
                              I'm with you there mate.

As with your other stats thread, our differential at this point, who'd have thunk it.

3 games to blot from 6. It's unprecedented.

You know what I reckon it's something the squad can really build the season on. Confidence from such a feat will hopefully take the boys to another level.

Can't wait till we hit Melba and woManly and Souffs again, the real testies.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X