Sonny Bill Williams Unlikely Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Bill Williams Unlikely Starter

Sonny Bill Williams unlikely starter for Chiefs next year.

Chiefs coach Dave Rennie says that Sonny Bill Williams is next to no chance of returning to the Super Rugby franchise next year

Sonny Bill Williams was at the Crowne Plaza in Coogee within about 30 minutes of his old team the Chiefs arriving on Wednesday night.

The Roosters back was seen around the hotel on Thursday, with Chiefs coach Dave Rennie confirming the dual international was putting in quality time with his former stablemates. But Rennie appears to have surrendered hope of luring back his former strike weapon at the end of the year, when Williams's contract ends with the Roosters.

"There's certainly no talk about us trying to drag him back across the Tasman next year although that would be really good, but it was good to catch up with him," he said.

There is hope for 2015, Rennie said, when the New Zealand Rugby Union will be preparing to defend their World Cup title.

Advertisement "I reckon [there is] a good chance of getting him back in 2015, a World Cup year," he said. "In the end there's a lot of water to go under the bridge between now and then but who knows he may love his return back to rugby league and it may be hard to prise him out.

"But he's always up for challenges, Sonny, so a World Cup would be a good opportunity to try and lure him back and if he comes back to rugby he'll definitely come back to the Chiefs so we're keen to see that happen."

Williams has been asked to address the Chiefs ahead of their clash with the Waratahs at Allianz Stadium on Friday.

The 27-year-old is highly regarded in the Waikato region after devoting himself to the Chiefs during his season there last year.

"He was a massive part of our group last year, he loves the boys, so it's good having him around," Rennie said.

"We're going to get him to have a bit of a chat to our team, just from a motivational point of view."

Rennie said he would love it if Williams could watch the game tomorrow night but believed he would head to Canberra to support the Kiwis in the Anzac Test.

Williams was not available for selection for the clash, citing a knee complaint

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/un...#ixzz2Qn74caFL

"The Roosters back" ... wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
      "The Roosters back rower" ... wtf?
      Me thinks

Comment

Originally posted by chook 56 View Post
        Me thinks
        Ah I see

Honestly, I think Sonny-Bill will stay for two years and we should be grateful that he does. After that he wants to move on I believe it should be with the best wishes of all Roosters supporters. I think that in 2 years with us he will firmly establish himself as both a legend of our club and the sport in general.

Comment

well if hes not with the chiefs, he might well stay with the roosters? seems to be enjoying himself?
          its not as if his teammates dont like him!

Comment

Sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by Teriyaki Chicken Boy View Post
              Ah I see

Honestly, I think Sonny-Bill will stay for two years and we should be grateful that he does. After that he wants to move on I believe it should be with the best wishes of all Roosters supporters. I think that in 2 years with us he will firmly establish himself as both a legend of our club and the sport in general.
              I wholeheartedly agree but I think we should feel the same if it were only this season. I don't believe either rugby code will see a player like Sonny Bill Williams ever again. We are a privileged fan base to watch him week in week out.

Comment

Certainly hope so. He takes other players to a new level.
                Embrace the Hate! JC

Comment

when he entered the legends bar last friday night he entered to a standing ovation from the fans! great stuff!

Comment

I really don't see what the attraction is to go back and play for the All Blacks, the truth of the matter is they are perennial RWC bridesmaids not to mention the fact that France almost pulled their pants down last time around.

If I were Sonny I'd stick with the Roosters, where you can rest assured you'll be treated like royalty - not McGaw's sidekick.

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                      when he entered the legends bar last friday night he entered to a standing ovation from the fans! great stuff!
                      Half of those were booing three months ago.
                      Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterHouse View Post
                        I really don't see what the attraction is to go back and play for the All Blacks, the truth of the matter is they are perennial RWC bridesmaids not to mention the fact that France almost pulled their pants down last time around.

If I were Sonny I'd stick with the Roosters, where you can rest assured you'll be treated like royalty - not McGaw's sidekick.
                        Do you mean Richie McCaw or Dan Carter?

"Perennial RWC bridesmaids"? WTF they are the World Cup champs and best team on Earth by quite a margin. Like it or not Rugby is also an International sport, that comes with greater money making opportunities. League is only popular on the east coast of Aus and Northern England.

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterHouse View Post

Fact is, ANY player who's pulled on the black jumper is royalty...

defending & growing the tradition of the most successfull team in the history of team sport is an honour.

The Blacks have the Web Ellis cup for the second time & want to win it for a third as no other nation has & therefore add to the folklore....he has every right to be part of that

you need to appreciate that Sonny is only here for the challenge, to honour a handshake, tick a box & move on. Peeps gotta realise the roosters is not the reason he came here, its his respect for Politis is the true reason. Rooster fans jus enjoy the ride while he's here for the 2 seasons.

As I've mentioned in other threads he has a plan & a list of challenges before he's too old to execute.
                          "Qui audet adipiscitur"

WHO DARES WINS

Comment

Great news

Comment

Originally posted by Darkone View Post
                              defending & growing the tradition of the most successfull team in the history of team sport is an honour.
                              2 World Cups and they are the most successful team in World Sport.. What a laugh.. Heard of the Brazilian Soccer Team or Real Madrid, Manchester United? The New York Yankees? Rugby is only the number 1 sport in New Zealand and a handful of pacific nation countries.. It does not rate on the world scale.

Comment

Working...
                              X