Not Rooster related but this needs to be seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Rooster related but this needs to be seen

THE independent report into Cronulla's 2011 supplement program has warned peptides given to players may have accelerated former prop Jon Mannah's fatal cancer.

An explosive report has raised concerns about the potential of an "identified causal link" between peptides CJC-1295 and GHRP-6 and Mannah's relapse into Hodgkin's lymphoma in late 2011.

The report details how a number of Cronulla players were "administered" with peptides, including CJC-1295 and GHRP-6 between March and May in 2011.

This was after sports scientist Stephen Dank was recruited to Cronulla by ex-Sharks head trainer Trent Elkin at the beginning of the 2011 season.

But it is not known whether these drugs were part of Mr Dank's program.

Mannah, who played five NRL games while Mr Dank was employed at the Sharks at the start of 2011, died in January this year.

A leaked extract from the 60-plus page report warns: "Based on the chronology it appears Mannah was administered with substances including CJC-1295 and GHRP-6 during the period from March to May in 2011.

"A brief review of available published medical literature suggests an identified causal link between the use of substances such as CJC-1295 and GHRP-6 and the acceleration of the condition of disease Hodgkin's lymphoma.

"Without knowing anything further about Mannah's exact medical history and without seeking expert opinion from an appropriately qualified oncologist it is difficult to take this issue further.

"The issue of Mannah has the potential to be as serious as matters could get."

JON AND ABIR MANNAH

Jon Mannah, with his mother Abir, receiving chemotherapy treatment at St Vincents hospital in 2010. Picture: Rohan Kelly Source: The Daily Telegraph

The Daily Telegraph yesterday asked Mr Dank and his lawyer Greg Stanton if Mr Dank or any of his staff had ever administered the drugs identified in the Cronulla report to Mannah.

Mr Dank did not respond. Mr Stanton said he would reserve his response until seeing today's article.

Mr Dank maintains he has never given banned drugs to NRL players and has started legal action against media organisations for $10 million in damages over the ongoing reporting of the issue.

Mr Elkin has previously said: "On the advice of my legal team, I have provided ASADA officials with a statement as part of their investigation and gave an honest account of the period in question. I have never condoned the use of performance-enhancing drugs and I have not ever knowingly worked with anyone who did."

Newly-appointed Sharks CEO Bruno Cullen confirmed the club had handed the report, compiled by ex-ASADA deputy chair Tricia Kavanagh, over to ASADA and the NRL. One of the Sharks' previous directors was so concerned with the Mannah element of the report he sought advice of independent oncologists for further medical guidance.

Once ASADA obtained the report, the anti-doping authority opted to postpone the scheduled interviews with Cronulla players due to start last Wednesday until Monday.

Mr Cullen said: "I've signed a confidentiality agreement and we've handed the report over to ASADA and the NRL. We understand ASADA will be handing it over to the police and they may have done that this week."

TIM MANNAH

Tim Mannah carries Jon Mannah's casket from the Faith Baptist Church in Regents Park. Picture: Tim Hunter Source: The Daily Telegraph

Leading sports doctor Peter Larkins last night described any attempt to treat a previous cancer sufferer with growth accelerants as "an absolutely indefensible thing to do".

"I would have thought if I had any player or any patient that had any history of any cancer process, the last thing I would even contemplate giving them is anything that increased cell growth," Dr Larkins, one of the AFL's leading medicos, said.

Oncologist David Dalley, from St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, wasn't aware of any evidence of a link between growth supplements and lymphoma but warned against the ingestion of supplements of which the side-effects have not been properly measured.

"I cannot find evidence that these chemicals were causal in the stimulation of lymphoma but I cannot say there is no link as there is no data," he said.

Ms Kavanagh last night declined to discuss the contents of the report.

"I cannot comment, because the report is privileged. But generally there are matters of serious concern," she said.

The Daily Telegraph went to the Mannah family's home in western Sydney yesterday to ascertain if they were aware of the contents of the report.

The family, including Mannah's parents and brother Tim, who plays for the Parramatta Eels, was unaware and did not wish to comment.

In the extract of the report about Mannah, it also warns: "The club should be prepared for the potential for ... media making the same causal connection between the program administered and the illness suffered by Mannah."

The Sharks are one of the clubs involved in the Australian Crime Commission and ASADA's investigation into banned drug use in sport.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1226629608852

---

This is literally one of the most sickening things I have seen a publication put up. All time lows... Some one needs to be held accountable for dragging this poor family through the mud

The Telegraph are scum. Deadset absolute human filth.

Comment

Annoyingly I just posted that in the Rugby League section.

I wrote this in reply to the article.

"I suspect this won't get printed but you have given new meaning to the term "gutter journalism."

Well done, I am suitably impressed with your complete lack of anything approaching decency. "
      SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

The whole "Its the Telegraph, what do you expect" excuse shouldn't really fly either. No surprises it came from Bec either.

Comment

This is my favourite bit...

The Daily Telegraph went to the Mannah family's home in western Sydney yesterday to ascertain if they were aware of the contents of the report.
          I would feel like a piece of shit going and asking questions like that.

Comment

Originally posted by 1049 View Post
            This is my favourite bit...

I would feel like a piece of shit going and asking questions like that.
            Thus the Bourbon

Comment

What ****ing scum.

I wish the Mannah family all the best, no one deserves this crap being brought up.

Comment

Disgusting, let the man rest in peace and the family grieve.

Comment

What a bloody scumbag she is

Comment

OMG, This is the lowest thing I have heard.
                    Fancy doing that to Jon's family ...... don't they think the family has been through enough.
                    Pauline Robinson from the "Wall".

Comment

Cronulla and all involved should be kicked out of the comp ASAP
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

5 officials from Asada were drug testing both teams on Anzac day,i got this from an inside St George connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimorphic View Post
                          The Telegraph are scum. Deadset absolute human filth.
                          Channel 9 were hounding Jonny's grandfather as well..
                          "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                          Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

Originally posted by ARES View Post
                            5 officials from Asada were drug testing both teams on Anzac day,i got this from an inside St George connection.
                            Good. The innocent have nothing to fear.
                            "It's these little things, they can pull you under
                            Live your life filled with joy and wonder"

Comment

What I got from reading the article was that Cronulla medical staff have possibly acted with negligence. I cant see how the Daily up up Cronulla Telegragh has bought any distress to the Mannah family.

Comment

Working...
                              X