Our Defence and Wrestling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Defence and Wrestling

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but our defence is putting 80% - 85% of the opponents on their backs. I've been watching Jake Friend's tackling specifically and watch how he almost always goes up high, wraps the ball, gets his arms under the opponents so he cant pass but then... watch how he twists and spins them onto their back.

It's almost every tackle we are doing it, the opposition has to get up off their back giving the extra second or so per tackle for our boys to get back to the line.

Robinson has been talking about our defence and we've heard about the tackling and wrestling coaches we have... this is the pay off. Watch the tackles, almost all of them have the opposition on their backs.

On the flip-side... our players are finding their front more often than not, hit the line, either push or get to ground on your front, resulting in faster play the balls, quicker pace per set - thats why every time we get the ball we gain momentum.

Discuss.
    Just released Mayday for iOS and Android! Download it for your iPhone / iPad OR for your Android Phone / Tablet

It's amazing how much we've improved in these areas in just one off-season.. complete turn around when we used to be one of the worst.

Comment

I'm very interested to see how our defence looks against manly and the storm in the coming weeks, I love how we look but there's no doubt we have been blessed with a good draw for the first 8 rounds.
      My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
      My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

I am convinced that we can win a premiership on the back of our defence. We are a completely different side than last year in that department.

Fitzy and JT have already done better jobs as defensive coaches than Elliott did the entire season last year.
        Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Originally posted by davos View Post
          I am convinced that we can win a premiership on the back of our defence. We are a completely different side than last year in that department.

Fitzy and JT have already done better jobs as defensive coaches than Elliott did the entire season last year.

For sure! I love how we look in defends and attack too, only real worry is we seem to be doing alot more defending then other teams, just hope we can keep this intensity up all season
          My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
          My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

I guess the cost of that is you dont see the big hits which I used to love...the ridiculous shoulder charge ban probably compels this style of defence more too.

Comment

Originally posted by IRoosterManI View Post
              I'm very interested to see how our defence looks against manly and the storm in the coming weeks, I love how we look but there's no doubt we have been blessed with a good draw for the first 8 rounds.
              No doubt about that and 6 out of 8 home games has us likely sitting higher than we ought to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks Fur Coat View Post
                I guess the cost of that is you dont see the big hits which I used to love...the ridiculous shoulder charge ban probably compels this style of defence more too.
                It's a really good point - our defence in the last couple of years was more spectacular but less effective. I think this is where players like Mose and Taka just don't fit in Robbo's system. I similarly am intereted to see how this plays out for Tasi.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                  No doubt about that and 6 out of 8 home games has us likely sitting higher than we ought to be.
                  That's true but we have made the most of these home games - generally flogging teams and defending famously. In five home games we are four and one with a for/against of 140-38. Take out the Souths game (I think we hyped ourselves out of that game) and our for and against is 130-10 at home.

Yes we have had a relatively easy start to the season but we have certainly not wasted it.

Comment

Yes all do the wrestling well except Marty Kennedy who thinks that it's time to have a laze about for a minute on top of the opposition and never seems to get off them.

Comment

Originally posted by debbiesr View Post
                      Yes all do the wrestling well except Marty Kennedy who thinks that it's time to have a laze about for a minute on top of the opposition and never seems to get off them.
                      I think his inspiration is Captain Cook... 'cause Marty just sets up a tent, plants his flag and settles on top the tackled player.
                      Just released Mayday for iOS and Android! Download it for your iPhone / iPad OR for your Android Phone / Tablet

Comment

the real big test will be melbourne who are ring side wrestling masters, naturally they get all the refs calls as well so i doint have high expectations for a good result this game? however freddy did show a few seasons back that melbourne can be outsmarted on the day, im sure robbo will have something similar up his sleeve? it comes down to the refs as usual, if we get a fair call were compertitive if we get mauled were gone?

Comment

This raises the issue of combatting defences that employ this "turtle-ing" tactic by diving at the feet of defenders. Souths are pretty good at this. If the refs allow the defending team extra time to hold these players down (deeming it to be almost a voluntary tackle), then the tactic doesn't work. But if they penalise the defending team, the attackers' momentum is hard to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by IRoosterManI View Post
                            True this, but all you can do is win which they have & for the most part looked very good in doing it.
                            Originally posted by turk-283
                            Kurt 79 - Kags 0..

Comment

We forgot how to wrestle against Canberra.

Comment

Working...
                              X