• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carney deal Competed

Carney to push Braith into pack
    Brad Walter and Will Swanton | September 12, 2009
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/c...519638060.html

FORMER Canberra bad boy Todd Carney yesterday took the first steps towards reviving his NRL career by completing a deal with Sydney Roosters as besieged South Sydney coach Jason Taylor vowed to fight to save his.

Carney, who has been playing for the Atherton Roosters and working in a pub in Cairns this season after being sacked by Canberra last year, flew to Sydney yesterday to finalise an agreement with the Bondi club that contains strict conditions about his off-field behaviour.

The contract, believed to be for four years, has to be approved by the NRL but the Roosters were given permission to commence negotiations with Carney two weeks ago after the 23-year-old playmaker furnished a number of references from employers, local dignitaries and high-profile members of the community at a 30-minute meeting last month.

Roosters captain Braith Anasta welcomed the signing, and said he expected to shift to lock next season.

''When they first said they were going to sign him they told me I wasn't moving from five-eighth but I couldn't possibly see that happening and, to be honest, it doesn't bother me because he's a great player and he will be an attribute to our team,'' Anasta said.

The finalisation of the deal with Carney came as the Roosters announced that his former Raiders teammate, Phil Graham, would be the club's first signing since the appointment of Brian Smith as coach.

The Herald yesterday revealed that Smith was also close to securing the services of former Test prop Jason Ryles, who is set to return to the NRL after a season with French Super League club Catalans.

Meanwhile, Taylor last night indicated he would not stand down from his position as Souths coach after being given until 5pm on Tuesday to show cause as to why his contract shouldn't be terminated over an incident at the club's ''Sad Sunday'' festivities in which he was punched by departing second-rower David Fa'alogo.

CCTV footage of the incident is understood to show Taylor karate chopping players and slapping them at the function, which had a Japanese theme in honour of Japan-bound rugby union convert Craig Wing. Fa'alogo took exception to Taylor's antics and punched him.

''I have done nothing wrong, I love the club and I want to continue coaching,'' Taylor told Channel Nine.

Knights coach Rick Stone, meanwhile, has cleared hooker Isaac de Gois to play against the Bulldogs tonight but de Gois cast doubt on his own availability.

Steve Simpson rubbished concerns about the Knights' lack of big-game experience going into the qualifying final at ANZ Stadium but, after clearing de Gois of a serious knee injury, Knights doctor Neil Halpin should've diagnosed Simpson with a case of wishful thinking.

While Brett Kimmorley's absence from the Dogs leaves a gaping hole in experience, most of the Knights are finals greenhorns.

''I don't think it's going to be an issue at all,'' Simpson said. ''Everyone is up for the occasion and looking forward to it. That's what semi-finals are all about - go out and give your all and enjoy the atmosphere.

''I don't think we'll struggle in that area. To be honest, experience doesn't count for much when you're out there. You've just got to hook in and get the job done. The boys have been playing since they were six and seven years old. If we play well, I think we'll get the game.''
    Well looks like it is all done !

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
    To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
    At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
    Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
    The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

I don't know why the club would tell Braith he was going to stay at five-eighth.

It isn't as if Pearce will be moving anytime soon

Comment

Well mack, i reckon alot of people at the club were told alot of things this season.

I guess braith just came to the realisation that he would be playing lock.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
      To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
      At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
      Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
      The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Originally posted by The Mack View Post
        I don't know why the club would tell Braith he was going to stay at five-eighth.

Originally it was mentioned to Braith that Carney would be full back ( This is many months ago) and that is what he was alluding to.

Comment

i feel carney would be wasted at fullback dont you, i think pez or mini have got it covered

Comment

The club did not tell Braith that he was going to stay at 5/8.......

Comment

''When they first said they were going to sign him they told me I wasn't moving from five-eighth but I couldn't possibly see that happening and, to be honest, it doesn't bother me because he's a great player and he will be an attribute to our team,'' Anasta said.

---

I'm just going by what Braith said.

Fullback, ay Horry?

Jeez, that is one out of nowhere. Obviously the club doesn't rate Perrett as a fullback at all - signing Minichiello over him, and considering putting Carney at fullback over him

I think Carney could have made a nice Darren Lockyer style fullback though, maybe if/when Mini gets injured, we can try him there?

Comment

This was mentioned to me by Braith at a sponsors dinner. However this was re when Carney's name was first mentioned at the beginning of the year. I think that is what Braith is saying. Braith will play lock.

Comment

6. Carney
                  7. Pearce
                  13. Anasta

Anyone else see a problem with this? Too many cooks?
                  I just hope they don't trip over each other.
                  Good luck Mr Smith.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                    6. Carney
                    7. Pearce
                    13. Anasta

Good luck Mr Smith.
                    better than not having enough, like we've had for a while now..

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFella View Post
                      better than not having enough, like we've had for a while now..
                      True TBF, I was thinking about the balance of the side as well and just a bit concerned that it looks imbalanced in this area. But you're right, better than not having enough.
                      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

6. Carney
                        7. Pearce
                        13. Anasta

Good luck Mr Smith.
                        This is what I feel too.

Comment

6. Carney
                          7. Pearce
                          13. Anasta

Good luck Mr Smith.
                          Me too

If you have 2 good playmakers

a 3rd can create problems

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                            Me too

If you have 2 good playmakers

a 3rd can create problems
                            we have got 2 carney and anasta, Pearce will be the organiser, he will be much better for it as well, less pressure and only injecting himself when neceassary, he wont have to try the miracle play every time.

Comment

---

I'm just going by what Braith said.

Fullback, ay Horry?

Jeez, that is one out of nowhere. Obviously the club doesn't rate Perrett as a fullback at all - signing Minichiello over him, and considering putting Carney at fullback over him

I think Carney could have made a nice Darren Lockyer style fullback though, maybe if/when Mini gets injured, we can try him there?
                              No you are going by a media copy of what you think Braith said.......

Just last Sunday he told me he WILL NOT be 5/8 and that does not bother him in the slightest......the game he plays is not dictated around a position on paper, which is all it really is.........

Comment

Working...
                              X