Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maitua pulls out of Roosters clash

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jar...-1226658852741

EELS co-captain Reni Maitua has withdrawn from tonight's clash against the Roosters after being told he's one of 12 players free to leave at the end of this season.

A devastated Maitua was split over whether to play upon receiving the news and has decided to sit out the match after coach Ricky Stuart gave him the option to have this weekend off.

Sources close to Maitua said it was still likely he will return to Eels training on Monday, although the coming 72 hours will be a crucial indicator to how the entire team will react after the biggest player clean-out in the club's 66-year history.

Fellow co-captain Jarryd Hayne yesterday launched an extraordinarily candid attack on the humiliating manner in which the club informed the dozen players they were no longer wanted.

While he understood the axe was inevitable after such a sustained run of poor results, Hayne could not comprehend why the victims needed to be informed of their fate in front of their peers at Wednesday morning's team meeting.

"What happened (on Wednesday) and how it happened was very disappointing," Hayne said.

"I was taken aback by the way it went down.

"It was disappointing to have mates and teammates put on show like that."

Eels CEO Ken Edwards and new chairman Steve Sharp stood alongside Stuart, who delivered the grim news.

The Daily Telegraph understands the club's new board appointed the trio to a "retention committee" shortly after being elected on May 11.

They gathered the entire first-grade squad on Wednesday morning, before splitting the team into three groups - Yes, No and Maybe.

Maitua, hooker Matt Keating, Matt Ryan and Willie Tonga were all classified as maybes - players who could still be retained should their form improve.

Cheyse Blair, Daniel Harrison, Luke Kelly, Ben Roberts, Ben Smith, Pat O'Hanlon and Nathan Smith were all told there was no future at the Eels beyond this year.

Asked how the team would respond, Hayne deadpanned: "I don't know."

He repeated the same answer when asked if they could beat the high-flying Roosters.

"It will be tough on them to play (tonight), knowing your club doesn't want you," Hayne said.

"Being told that in front of staff and your peers - it would be extremely hard."

Despite the embarrassment of Hayne's remarks, Edwards last night denied any problem with the NSW Origin fullback's decision to lash out in defence of his teammates.

"He's being honest and he's close to many of the players who received the tough news," Edwards said.

"The whole joint is hurting. It's not an easy time."

Let's smash these farkers while they are down!

Us by 60.

Good old Ricky's at it again. lol@eels

Comment

We'll put more points on than the Australian cricket team tmr night

Comment

Won't be the worst thing in the world if Parra do get flogged... Need a wake up call at the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Roostarz View Post
          http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jar...-1226658852741

EELS co-captain Reni Maitua has withdrawn from tonight's clash against the Roosters after being told he's one of 12 players free to leave at the end of this season.

A devastated Maitua was split over whether to play upon receiving the news and has decided to sit out the match after coach Ricky Stuart gave him the option to have this weekend off.

Sources close to Maitua said it was still likely he will return to Eels training on Monday, although the coming 72 hours will be a crucial indicator to how the entire team will react after the biggest player clean-out in the club's 66-year history.

Fellow co-captain Jarryd Hayne yesterday launched an extraordinarily candid attack on the humiliating manner in which the club informed the dozen players they were no longer wanted.

While he understood the axe was inevitable after such a sustained run of poor results, Hayne could not comprehend why the victims needed to be informed of their fate in front of their peers at Wednesday morning's team meeting.

"What happened (on Wednesday) and how it happened was very disappointing," Hayne said.

"I was taken aback by the way it went down.

"It was disappointing to have mates and teammates put on show like that."

Eels CEO Ken Edwards and new chairman Steve Sharp stood alongside Stuart, who delivered the grim news.

The Daily Telegraph understands the club's new board appointed the trio to a "retention committee" shortly after being elected on May 11.

They gathered the entire first-grade squad on Wednesday morning, before splitting the team into three groups - Yes, No and Maybe.

Maitua, hooker Matt Keating, Matt Ryan and Willie Tonga were all classified as maybes - players who could still be retained should their form improve.

Cheyse Blair, Daniel Harrison, Luke Kelly, Ben Roberts, Ben Smith, Pat O'Hanlon and Nathan Smith were all told there was no future at the Eels beyond this year.

Asked how the team would respond, Hayne deadpanned: "I don't know."

He repeated the same answer when asked if they could beat the high-flying Roosters.

"It will be tough on them to play (tonight), knowing your club doesn't want you," Hayne said.

"Being told that in front of staff and your peers - it would be extremely hard."

Despite the embarrassment of Hayne's remarks, Edwards last night denied any problem with the NSW Origin fullback's decision to lash out in defence of his teammates.

"He's being honest and he's close to many of the players who received the tough news," Edwards said.

"The whole joint is hurting. It's not an easy time."

Let's smash these farkers while they are down!

Man that would have been brutal

Comment

What a poof. I've always rated Rennie but that's an underwhelming attitude IMO.

Dead set what's wrong with these blokes.

They play like shit for a few seasons now, sack coaches and boards, but how dare a player be told a few home truths.

A true first grader will fight for his spot. Not take a week off.

Seriously if the reports correct and Rennies in the maybe group would you want a week off???

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

I think it definitely undermines Maitua's captaincy which is the strangest thing to come out of all of this. Sticky's very old fashioned/traditional (however you want to put it) in his approach to everything he does but when you look at his record both at Cronulla and Easts there was a steady decline from the moment he arrived. Tough love might have worked in the past but there's no doubt being a great coach is so much about man-management these days.

It's not really a surprise his greatest success has come in origin, the one part of our sport that still seems to celebrate the great traditions from the past.

Comment

Even SKD will score 3 tries tonight
                Could be a record score coming up.
                Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Comment

Originally posted by The Brain View Post
                  Even SKD will score 3 tries tonight
                  Could be a record score coming up.
                  But how many will he let in???

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6:307452
                    I think it definitely undermines Maitua's captaincy which is the strangest thing to come out of all of this. Sticky's very old fashioned/traditional (however you want to put it) in his approach to everything he does but when you look at his record both at Cronulla and Easts there was a steady decline from the moment he arrived. Tough love might have worked in the past but there's no doubt being a great coach is so much about man-management these days.

It's not really a surprise his greatest success has come in origin, the one part of our sport that still seems to celebrate the great traditions from the past.
                    Lol...steady decline includes 3 consecutive grand finals...tough marker.

Comment

Everyone is getting very cocky...

Comment

Originally posted by chook 56 View Post
                        That hasn't been his problem this year , his defended pretty well tbh
                        My Roosters Channel - youtube.com/IRoostermanI
                        My Gaming Channel - youtube.com/xIVERTiiGOIx

Comment

If I were Trent Robinson, I would be very, very focussed on this game. Everyone expects Parramatta to wither but the guys who go out there will be playing for their careers. If they get flogged after their own coach calls them as being crap then they'll end up in second grade French Rugby.
                          SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by chook 56 View Post
                            images.jpg
                            Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny. View Post

If I were Trent Robinson, I would be very, very focussed on this game. Everyone expects Parramatta to wither but the guys who go out there will be playing for their careers. If they get flogged after their own coach calls them as being crap then they'll end up in second grade French Rugby.
                              I think they will be mate.

They're coming off a loss from two weeks ago and the players will be itching to get out there.

What worries me is the short turn around for Junior , baloney and jenko. Their bodies would still be aching from Wednesday.
                              Comment of the year:

Andrew Johns, Semi-Final vs North Queensland ,

"It's touched Lui's hand and travelled forward but that's not a knock on"

Comment

Working...
                              X