players put on notice about discipline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• players put on notice about discipline

Sydney Roosters players have been put on notice after their side gave away a staggering 14 penalties against Newcastle on Sunday afternoon.

While the Roosters won the match, the players are aware they need to improve on their discipline if they are to make a dent in this year's premiership.

They are the most penalised team in the competition, conceding 12 more penalties than Wests Tigers, who are the next worst team.

The Roosters finished last season as the second most penalised team behind Canterbury.

Interchange hooker Daniel Mortimer said if the penalties continued, it could come back to haunt the team.

''We definitely have to tighten it up,'' Mortimer said. ''Luckily it hasn't hurt us too much, but coming into the finals against those teams they'll really make us pay and it could be dangerous. A lot of them are ill-disciplined. It's more in the ruck and a few loose high tackles. They quickly add up.''

The Roosters average more than eight penalties per game.

Five-eighth James Maloney (18) is the most penalised player in the competition this season while teammates Mitchell Pearce (14), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (13) and Jake Friend (13) have also struggled with their discipline at times this year.

While some sides have introduced individual fines for on-field infringements, Roosters coach Trent Robinson has placed the onus back on the playing group.

Back-rower Aidan Guerra said Robinson had addressed the problems.

''We gave away a fair few silly penalties, we were lucky it didn't cost us but it made it hard for ourselves,'' Guerra said. ''We've addressed it. We know you can't be giving away that many penalties when it comes to the end of the season.

''I guess out there you get caught up a bit. We just have to make a conscious effort. It puts unwanted pressure on us. It's just a matter of time before some team punishes us.''

MOST PENALTIES CONCEDED

Roosters (148)

Tigers (136)

Eels (135)

Sea Eagles (135)

Titans (119)

Bulldogs (116)

Rabbitohs (115)

Cowboys (113)

Knights (113)

Raiders (111)

Panthers (110)

Broncos (109)

Warriors (106)

Dragons (104)

Storm (103)

Sharks (99)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2af5WW6Hn

How's this for a fanciful theory: the Roosters deliberately gave away penalties last weekend in order to embarrass the referees into giving us a few ourselves.

There was a period of the game where Maloney gave away 4 penalties that really weren't putting much additional pressure on us anyway - they were early in the tackle count and already deep in our territory. At that point I think the count was 14 to 6. We ended up getting the last 3 penalties of the match and scored off a couple of these.

OK - I'm being ridiculous. But actually receiving 9 penalties in a game was a novel feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by fletch View Post

Five-eighth James Maloney (18) is the most penalised player in the competition this season while teammates Mitchell Pearce (14), Shaun Kenny-Dowall (13) and Jake Friend (13) have also struggled with their discipline at times this year.
      Friend I can understand being penalised a fair bit as he makes a lot of tackles so the chances are he will be at risk of being penalised more. But Maloney or SKD I doubt finish high up on the tackle counts each game so really should'nt be giving away anywhere near the amount of penalties that they do !

Comment

No more shitting in corridors.
        SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

So does this mean Baloneys missed the most tackles and given away the most penalties???

I blame MLK.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

its been going on for 3-4 years how the hell are you gonna change it over night

Comment

We are doing some shrewd PR work IMO, let's see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by morleythemauler View Post
                its been going on for 3-4 years how the hell are you gonna change it over night
                I demand.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

When in doubt, blame the Ref's.

Works for the Australian cricket side when they pooch screw.
                  SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by elo View Post
                    We are doing some shrewd PR work IMO, let's see if it works.
                    Good call mate.

Complaining officially is useless as is using the media to complain.

Blaming ourselves while highlighting the inequities that have been occurring for a number of seasons is smart IMO.

There is no doubt we cop the raw end of the pineapple when it comes to penalties. But whinging about it solves nothing.

The only way to combat the obvious perception of The Reffs is by being so disciplined they have no reason to ever ping us.

Or blame MLK.

I know what I prefer.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

How many consecutive posts can you make that reference Kennedy?

I think you're at around the 43 mark.
                      Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Originally posted by salvatori grubber View Post
                        how many consecutive posts can you make that reference kennedy?

I think you're at around the 43 mark.
                        I'm not sure maaaaaaaaaaaate.

Maybe a wager is in order???

You dig I'm sure though, the irony at play here, the fact MLK was assassinated by most on these very forums, but since he's been out I believe the ongoing problem of our high penalty counts have actually got worse.

Grassy knoll, 44.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

I like some of the penalties that we gave away on the weekend. They were early in the count when we were under the pump and gave us some breathing room.

Also it's nice to see us practice melbas tricks, which see us infringe harder after a penalty, especially close to the line knowing that the refs seldom penalise in quick succession.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                            I'm not sure maaaaaaaaaaaate.

Maybe a wager is in order???

You dig I'm sure though, the irony at play here, the fact MLK was assassinated by most on these very forums, but since he's been out I believe the ongoing problem of our high penalty counts have actually got worse.

Grassy knoll, 44.

We've dug it forty four times mate.

We get it - most of us already did - "MLK" was not the source of the penalties.

What you'd have to admit is equally noticeable and equally as important is that neither our go-forward nor our defence appears to have suffered at all without him. Liu and co have covered that "loss" without too much trouble, it seems.

Comment

I agree we give a sh*t loads away but even if we were perfect do you think it would make a difference anyway? We are branded & singled out by the referees & SOME penalties against us are far from justified. It seems that are always quick to blow the wistle against us

Comment

Working...
                              X