SBW to sign with Chiefs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theGman View Post
    There's a smart reason for that. By keeping his NRL intentions for 2014 on the back burner deep into the off season this enables him to play Jap Rugby and earn extra $$ in the meantime. SBW is the one in control.

I believe 1 year contracts will start to become increasingly popular amongst the elite players when you consider Barba, Milford & now Ferguson wanting to get out early from their current contracts for "compassionate reasons". They can own the decision process. The major downside is major injury for e.g a player who's half way thru his contract has the security and peace of mind knowing he's still employed and on the books so to speak whilst they recuperate.
    Totally disagree, 1 year contracts cause to much instability as SBW is proving. Its not good for club morale to have a player sign up for 1 year and half way through the season start talking about possible move to another code or club.
    I believe that unless a player is willing to sign up for a minimum 2 yrs, he should be avoided. There is an obvious motive behind offering your services for 1 year, ask SBW.
    In addition, clubs have a plan in place toward building a team over 2-3 yrs in the hope of winning a premiership and part of attracting class players is that they also like to know they will be part of a stable roster when deciding to sign the bottom line along with the big bucks.
    Last edited by RoosterRooster; 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by theGman View Post
      There's a smart reason for that. By keeping his NRL intentions for 2014 on the back burner deep into the off season this enables him to play Jap Rugby and earn extra $$ in the meantime. SBW is the one in control.

I believe 1 year contracts will start to become increasingly popular amongst the elite players when you consider Barba, Milford & now Ferguson wanting to get out early from their current contracts for "compassionate reasons". They can own the decision process. The major downside is major injury for e.g a player who's half way thru his contract has the security and peace of mind knowing he's still employed and on the books so to speak whilst they recuperate.
      Gman, this is what really annoys me about the current players approach to contracts - as soon as a player gets a bit grumpy, they want an out from the lucrative contract they have signed (and that the club has planned around) so suddenly three year contracts are being pulled out from after a year.

But what if the player gets a major injury and needs to sit out for a year - the club can't then stop paying the players salary.

The reason players won't go for one year contracts is that the current contract situation is all in their favour - guaranteed to get paid regardless of injury or form but if they want out, they just cite family reasons or instagram pineapple cruiser selfies and bingo - new club, new contract.

Comment

Originally posted by theticket View Post
        Gman, this is what really annoys me about the current players approach to contracts - as soon as a player gets a bit grumpy, they want an out from the lucrative contract they have signed (and that the club has planned around) so suddenly three year contracts are being pulled out from after a year.
        But what if the player gets a major injury and needs to sit out for a year - the club can't then stop paying the players salary.
        The reason players won't go for one year contracts is that the current contract situation is all in their favour - guaranteed to get paid regardless of injury or form but if they want out, they just cite family reasons or instagram pineapple cruiser selfies and bingo - new club, new contract.
        Agree with you, 1 yr deals are annoying from a supporters POV especially because of the uncertainty and the effects on team stability however, from an elite players prospective the ball is in their court to decide how they wish to drive their professional career prospects i.e overseas rugby in the off-season, switch to rugby/AFL etc...As speculated the NRL wants to keep the SBW & Folau's of this world in our game long term & are considering changes to the present marquee player allowance.

Comment

If the NRL did not include a stint in Japanese rugby or boxing as part of our salary cap then SBW would have signed on for next year.

SBW and the Roosters have found a way around this loop hole. Benji tried the same thing a few years back but was refused because he had a contract with the Tigers.

The NRL need to get their heads out of the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
            If the NRL did not include a stint in Japanese rugby or boxing as part of our salary cap then SBW would have signed on for next year.

SBW and the Roosters have found a way around this loop hole. Benji tried the same thing a few years back but was refused because he had a contract with the Tigers.

The NRL need to get their heads out of the sand.
            now you're talking!

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterRooster View Post
              Totally disagree, 1 year contracts cause to much instability as SBW is proving. Its not good for club morale to have a player sign up for 1 year and half way through the season start talking about possible move to another code or club.
              I believe that unless a player is willing to sign up for a minimum 2 yrs, he should be avoided. There is an obvious motive behind offering your services for 1 year, ask SBW.
              In addition, clubs have a plan in place toward building a team over 2-3 yrs in the hope of winning a premiership and part of attracting class players is that they also like to know they will be part of a stable roster when deciding to sign the bottom line along with the big bucks.
              it would only be elite players who sign one yr deals and ones with market appeal. I couldnt see a gallen, cam smith or cronk, who are game breakers in league, getting asked to play jap rugby or boxing contracts.

my top 5 would be sbw, inglis, barba,JT and fifita.

all have characteristics that are marketable and unique, as well as the ability to be an x factor in a different code.

Comment

He is going. This year or next, we always knew. It is the reason that many of us have not attached our heads up his arse. I am glad he came to stay, but unless he stays to his end he will never be considered one of our true greats. Many of our current squad (although not blessed with his ability) will be higher up the pecking order when it comes to great clubmen. Friend, for example, will be our greatest ever hooker. JWH will be right up there with big Artie. I could go on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eggfather:326025
                  He is going. This year or next, we always knew. It is the reason that many of us have not attached our heads up his arse. I am glad he came to stay, but unless he stays to his end he will never be considered one of our true greats. Many of our current squad (although not blessed with his ability) will be higher up the pecking order when it comes to great clubmen. Friend, for example, will be our greatest ever hooker. JWH will be right up there with big Artie. I could go on.
                  Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eggfather View Post
                    Other than freddie in our 2000-2004 yrs, how many would be considered greats? Moz,fitzy? I put moz ahead of ricketson cos I think he was a better player. For me ricketson was a great rooster, but I wouldnt pick him in front of moz,fitzy,sbw,hughie and even cordner.

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
                      Other than freddie in our 2000-2004 yrs, how many would be considered greats? Moz,fitzy? I put moz ahead of ricketson cos I think he was a better player. For me ricketson was a great rooster, but I wouldnt pick him in front of moz,fitzy,sbw,hughie and even cordner.
                      I would. I remember Ricko coming into first grade as a teenager in the centres. Always gave his best. He won so many games for us just by turning up and making the big plays. He was the best chaser of the long kick I ever saw and one of our greatest ever defenders. Some of those players you mentioned may have had more talent, but I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Ricko in terms of being a club man. Fitzy is on par and it's too early to be talking about Cordner...but it does look like he will be a great. Moz was a great enforcer for us but he missed important games due to suspensions. So frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Eggfather View Post
                        I would. I remember Ricko coming into first grade as a teenager in the centres. Always gave his best. He won so many games for us just by turning up and making the big plays. He was the best chaser of the long kick I ever saw and one of our greatest ever defenders. Some of those players you mentioned may have had more talent, but I wouldn't put any of them ahead of Ricko in terms of being a club man. Fitzy is on par and it's too early to be talking about Cordner...but it does look like he will be a great. Moz was a great enforcer for us but he missed important games due to suspensions. So frustrating.
                        Bloody ricketson must be kicking himself for being suspended for the 2004 gf. Was lucky to get on in 2000&2002 with his hammy scares too.

Comment

Bloody ricketson must be kicking himself for being suspended for the 2004 gf. Was lucky to get on in 2000&2002 with his hammy scares too.
                          That was a mega punch that got him suspended though.

Comment

Originally posted by roostersrule2 View Post
                            That was a mega punch that got him suspended though.
                            yeah gotta put that one down as a king hit.

Comment

my top 5 would be sbw, inglis, barba,JT and fifita.

dumb

Comment

Working...
                              X