Langi or Maubs at centre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Langi or Maubs at centre

Who would you prefer to see starting at centre this weekend?

I am a rap for Langi and think he has a great future as either a 5/8th or back rower. Personally, I’d like to see Maubs start at centre this weekend, he has been there, and done that where as Langi I think is playing out of position.

I think Langi on the bench would be perfect to come on for Guerra, FPN or SBW at the right time, even Maloney if the points are in the keeping.

Your thoughts.
    "Do you expect me to talk"? "No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die".

Agree. Would hate to see Carney show him up in D and dent his confidence. Could really set him back
    Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Langi has already been named to start at centre in the late mail article today with aubo moved to backrow and guerra pushed to the bench

Comment

Id like to see Maubs at centre as well.

And i'd start Langi in the backrow.

Throw the kid into the cauldron and see how he goes.

Comment

we all know toddy doesnt like to tackle, so jwh might like to run at him a BIT ?

Comment

The big reason why I prefer seeing Langi at centre:

It keeps Aubusson in the pack! He does his best work there, and with Cordner out, Aubusson is the ideal replacement as a natural edge-running hole hitter out wide. Guerra readily slots in for him on the bench without much of a slip up.

Arona should come in for LOD - Napa is good but is still a little bit raw and needs some time to develop.

With Langi at centre, Minichiello's loss only means Sheck to fullback and SKD to wing. Not the most excessive shuffle I have ever seen, keeps things set.

The big question is - assuming Mini and LOD are back and we make the grand final, IF Cordner and Kennedy get back in time, who drops out?

Minichiello
            Sheck
            SKD
            Jennings
            Tupou
            Maloney
            Pearce
            JWH
            Friend
            LOD
            SBW
            Aubusson
            FPN

Mortimer
            Guerra
            Moa
            Liu

Comment

Boyd would take Aubo's starting spot with Mitch taking Guerra's place on the bench.

And MLK can shine Liu's boots.

Comment

Aubbo allows us to play with the same structure and shape on the left hand side as Boyd did. He wont provide the same go forward in the middle that Boyd did coming in and taking hitups but he runs great overs and unders and has a decent passing game.

I think the key here is the bigger picture, Maubs has got 3 weeks to work on his left edge combos and make sure that by the time finals come around our plays and structure are running as well as when Cordner was there.

So long as Langi isn't over reading the play and getting sucked in I don't think he'll have too much trouble with Jonathan Wright.

Comment

Agree, we need Maubs in the back row.
                  I'd prefer Langi to not be in the team unless it was at his preferred position. He'll have a very good forward pack and top class half playing at him this week and will be found out if he is anything like he was last week.

Comment

Geez there is some harsh markers. Last week Langi didn't let in any tries. The first try was not his error. The biggest mistake he made all game was standing too far in on Simona for the Tuqiri break in the second half. That was his first game at centre for any Roosters team. He'll have had a whole extra week training in that position where he hadn't even trained all season.

Langi's best position for his own game against the Sharks would be to bring him on as left side second row after 25 mins. His involvements would be high and his runs last week showed that he would be very dangerous close to the line. His footwork and lines are a lot like Cordners, he'd be just as good at straightening up the attack when we're not playing so direct. And I believe that if the rest of his game was up to playing 50 mins in the forwards then he could prove a factor in the finals.

But in saying all that finals are fast approaching. We are without Cordner for most likely the rest of the season so you want to give Aubusson his deserved opportunity to cement that left edge spot. Aubusson was excellent last week until he was moved to centre where he just isn't comfortable in defence. His hit ups out of trouble were absolutely first class, which is rare for him. His footwork straightened up the attack nicely. But will he prove as effective as Cordner was close to the line when Pearce runs that doubles play? That question is yet to be answered.

In my opinion, Langi's skill set most closely matches Cordner's. And I feel that close to the line with a few games under his belt he would prove as effective and be Pearce's new go to man. But with 3 rounds remaining it is probably too risky to go in to the finals with the relatively untried defensive combination that Langi would bring.

TR probably thinks that even if Aubusson can't be as effective when running that great doubles play, our team still has plenty of other options in attack. It is this variety in attack that will be the biggest worry to a team like the Storm. Last year they played the Dogs who were effective yet very one-dimensional. If they could shut down the Dogs double block play they were home. They learnt from Canberra that half the job was shutting down the frequency of the play by rushing up on their ruck forwards, and then they just needed their up and in to be good enough to shut down the pass from Barba to his outside men which Waqa did superbly all game. The Dogs halves lacked that much variety and adaptability that they couldn't see that all was needed was a kick behind the line.

The Roosters of 2013 on the other hand have many more options in attack. 1. The doubles run which has 3 variations..short front man, wide front man, or out the back. 2. Friend's selective passing to his tight forwards running doubles. 3. Pearce's switch play on the right with SKD. 4. The Maloney options..show and go, long ball to Tupou, and inside ball to running forward (come on a lot the last month). 5. The aerial route with two of the best jumping wingers in the comp. 6. Anything involving SBW..short ball off Frank Paul, right foot step and go hard, offloads up the middle and on both edges, long ball to RTS.

There's a lot to choose from when it comes to go-to plays so I doubt Trent will want to throw Langi in the forwards when it could be valuable time that Maubs gets re-learning the defensive combination and developing his play timing so he's an effective runner and decoy when we need him.

Would love to see us shift Langi the ball on the right a little more than we did against the Tigers though cos I think Jonathan Wright could be in for a horrid night with Langi running at him.

Comment

I thought Langi was a bit awkward in defence last week. Maubs definately a safer option.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak View Post
                        Geez there is some harsh markers. Last week Langi didn't let in any tries. The first try was not his error. The biggest mistake he made all game was standing too far in on Simona for the Tuqiri break in the second half. That was his first game at centre for any Roosters team. He'll have had a whole extra week training in that position where he hadn't even trained all season.

Langi's best position for his own game against the Sharks would be to bring him on as left side second row after 25 mins. His involvements would be high and his runs last week showed that he would be very dangerous close to the line. His footwork and lines are a lot like Cordners, he'd be just as good at straightening up the attack when we're not playing so direct. And I believe that if the rest of his game was up to playing 50 mins in the forwards then he could prove a factor in the finals.

But in saying all that finals are fast approaching. We are without Cordner for most likely the rest of the season so you want to give Aubusson his deserved opportunity to cement that left edge spot. Aubusson was excellent last week until he was moved to centre where he just isn't comfortable in defence. His hit ups out of trouble were absolutely first class, which is rare for him. His footwork straightened up the attack nicely. But will he prove as effective as Cordner was close to the line when Pearce runs that doubles play? That question is yet to be answered.

In my opinion, Langi's skill set most closely matches Cordner's. And I feel that close to the line with a few games under his belt he would prove as effective and be Pearce's new go to man. But with 3 rounds remaining it is probably too risky to go in to the finals with the relatively untried defensive combination that Langi would bring.

TR probably thinks that even if Aubusson can't be as effective when running that great doubles play, our team still has plenty of other options in attack. It is this variety in attack that will be the biggest worry to a team like the Storm. Last year they played the Dogs who were effective yet very one-dimensional. If they could shut down the Dogs double block play they were home. They learnt from Canberra that half the job was shutting down the frequency of the play by rushing up on their ruck forwards, and then they just needed their up and in to be good enough to shut down the pass from Barba to his outside men which Waqa did superbly all game. The Dogs halves lacked that much variety and adaptability that they couldn't see that all was needed was a kick behind the line.

The Roosters of 2013 on the other hand have many more options in attack. 1. The doubles run which has 3 variations..short front man, wide front man, or out the back. 2. Friend's selective passing to his tight forwards running doubles. 3. Pearce's switch play on the right with SKD. 4. The Maloney options..show and go, long ball to Tupou, and inside ball to running forward (come on a lot the last month). 5. The aerial route with two of the best jumping wingers in the comp. 6. Anything involving SBW..short ball off Frank Paul, right foot step and go hard, offloads up the middle and on both edges, long ball to RTS.

There's a lot to choose from when it comes to go-to plays so I doubt Trent will want to throw Langi in the forwards when it could be valuable time that Maubs gets re-learning the defensive combination and developing his play timing so he's an effective runner and decoy when we need him.

Would love to see us shift Langi the ball on the right a little more than we did against the Tigers though cos I think Jonathan Wright could be in for a horrid night with Langi running at him.
                        I love your dedication, passion, effort and thoroughness Yak!!
                        The year 2013 marks the beginning of the Roosters next 'decade of excellence', and it will prove to be more successful than the last!

Here's looking at you, kid.

Comment

What are the chances of Minichiello being back this weekend?

My mail is ... good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Verlaine's Ghost View Post
                            What are the chances of Minichiello being back this weekend?

My mail is ... good chance.
                            I'd prefer if he wasn't TBH, not that we don't miss Mini but giving RTS some more FB experience and Langi some more FG experience is the better option IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak View Post

He did let in a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X