Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cronulla Sharks halfback Jeff Robson sparked revival of Roosters mate Daniel Mortimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cronulla Sharks halfback Jeff Robson sparked revival of Roosters mate Daniel Mortimer

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cro...-1226703979833

David Riccio
    The Daily Telegraph
    August 26, 2013 9:23AM

Mortimer, who is enjoying the best season of his career at the Sydney Roosters, credits his good mate Robson as the catalyst to his career revival.

Four years may have passed, but the pair remain close contacts, their bond remaining just as tight as what they shared as Parramatta halves during the 2009 grand final.

With his game time slashed under former Eels coach Stephen Kearney in 2011, Mortimer made the decision to take up a cut-price deal at the Roosters last year.

But not before speaking with Robson, who had already decided to pack his bags from Parramatta and head to the Shire.

"I was at Parra with Steve Kearney the year before and late in that year he was playing others in the halves, so I kind of got the gist that I wasn’t wanted under him so I started to look around and Brian Smith (former Roosters coach) gave me an opportunity," Mortimer said.

"I took a bit of encouragement from someone who I’m really close to, Jeff Robson.

"Before 2009 he had played six games (with Manly) but he came to Parramatta and turned his career around and went onto play in a grand final.

"He was great to speak too about making your own opportunities. We’ve all seen where he’s gone too and what’s he’s been able to achieve at Cronulla. He’s playing terrific footy."

Mortimer has played all 21 games straight this season, a feat only teammates Mitchell Aubusson, Shaun Kenny-Dowall and Jake Friend have managed to achieve at the Roosters.

In his breakout season, when he helped the Eels to the grand final, Mortimer played 18 matches.

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has shown tremendous faith in the 83kg utility, using him wisely from the bench as a utility and dummy-half.

But Mortimer’s individual success could also come at cost to the Roosters, with a get-out clause featuring in his current deal. It was a trigger that Robinson was only too happy to include in Mortimer’s contract, knowing that in the halves is where the 24 year-old sees his future.

"Ultimately, I would love to play in the halves and right now at the Roosters that isn’t possible, which I totally understand and I’m so appreciative of Robbo for the opportunities he’s given me," Mortimer said.

"I’m so impressed with the faith he’s shown in me that if an opportunity did arise with another club, that he wants only the best for me."

Tonight’s clash at Remondis Stadium shapes as the match of the round, with the high-flying Roosters chasing nine straight wins against a Sharks outfit confident of rebounding from their 40-0 nil thrashing handed down by the Chooks only a month ago.

On that night, Cronulla had a host of stars sidelined including Robson, Paul Gallen, Michael Gordon, Luke Lewis, Ben Pomeroy and Beau Ryan.
    SUPER DRAGON!

Easts 28-12.

Comment

Easts 36-0.

Comment

They should both go back to parra as permanent halves for some good coin. Unless he gets more time on the field with the chooks, I can see him going.

Comment

Mortimer field goal ...

Easts 21-12

Comment

Originally posted by milanja View Post
            They should both go back to parra as permanent halves for some good coin. Unless he gets more time on the field with the chooks, I can see him going.
            This is a distinct possibility. If Stuart goes back to Canberra and Parra gets themselves a smart coach.
            SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

i would rather play 25 minutes than Go back to parra

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post
                i would rather play 25 minutes than Go back to parra
                Depends on who you're behind in the pecking order. If as a player you could get a rails run to a permanent spot in the starting side, you'd take it.
                SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

what you will find is that you will get a different player from morts if he has to play 80 mins. he comes onto the field like the Tassie devil and works his a$$ off. if he has to play 80 he will whined back his energy to last the 80.
                  1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

They were parras halves in the grand final? No wonder they lost

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
                      what you will find is that you will get a different player from morts if he has to play 80 mins. he comes onto the field like the Tassie devil and works his a$$ off. if he has to play 80 he will whined back his energy to last the 80.
                      I'd say that has a lot to do with his role. He was buggered after 60 at halfback when Pearce was in Stool. If he was trained to be a full time half then he'd be a full time half.

As much as I'd miss him in our colors, if a better offer comes along, he should take it.
                      SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny. View Post
                        Depends on who you're behind in the pecking order. If as a player you could get a rails run to a permanent spot in the starting side, you'd take it.
                        then after a few defeats halves cop all the blame
                        at parra the lunatics run the asylum

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Gunn View Post
                          then after a few defeats halves cop all the blame
                          at parra the lunatics run the asylum
                          True. That is is the one drawback of his going back.

That club needs an enema.
                          SUPER DRAGON!

Comment

Originally posted by The Bondi Spy View Post
                            By seven points against a team later proven to be massive salary cap cheaters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Finch:328346
                              Originally posted by The Bondi Spy View Post
                              By seven points against a team later proven to be massive salary cap cheaters.
                              Lol..yes.the old "they lost the GF so they must be crap" line...

Comment

Working...
                              X