The only way is up says Ricketson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only way is up says Ricketson

SYDNEY Roosters icon Luke Ricketson said the loss of long-term major sponsor Samsung is the wake-up call the Bondi Junction outfit needed.

The 301-game Rooster, who played at the club from 1991 to 2005, described the latest blow as a lesson that no club is bullet-proof no matter how powerful its board of directors might be.

"You probably don't realise as a player how important sponsorship is,'' Ricketson said.

"In these tough economic times you can understand why sponsors would be looking for more bang for their buck. It's a really good lesson that success on and off the field is so important to your sponsors."

"In saying that, it creates a good opportunity for someone to come aboard. The guys who are sitting around the board room have got the contacts to foster new sponsors."

"The club's probably in the worst position I've ever seen it, but on the flip side at least the only way is up."

"With a new coach and some new signings, I dare say the off-field problems will be a thing of the past and the club can start moving forward.''

Ricketson found an ally in recently retired back-rower Craig Fitzgibbon, who said the Roosters' on-field performances were also a major factor.

The club finished with the wooden spoon for the first time since 1966, when the Roosters failed to win a match all season.

Fitzgibbon predicted the Roosters were capable of performing a similar turnaround to that of the Bulldogs, who went from last place in 2008 to the grand final qualifier this year.

"It's a shame we couldn't provide the right advertising opportunities for Samsung and they've decided to sever ties,'' Fitzgibbon said. "But you'd like to think the club will lock a new major sponsor up soon."

"I'm sure next year is going to be an exciting new year and whoever jumps on board, I'm sure the Roosters will be in the headlines for all the right reasons."

"It's a fair statement that the major sponsor has decided to move on and everyone is responsible for that. But it's not just the off-field issues, our on-field performances weren't up to scratch either.''

I agree with Ricko here, i think we have seen the worse of the worst.

Oh and can Fitzy be any more of a champion ?!?!? I hope the club signs him up in any capacity when he retires so that he is around the place all the time.

... maybe even a dietician!!

Comment

I'd love to see Fitzy come back as a mentor to the young blokes..

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigFella View Post
        I'd love to see Fitzy come back as a mentor to the young blokes..
        He was this year, as were some others like O'meley.
        Unfortunately the young blokes had no respect and treated them like shit
        The Internet is a place for posting silly things
        Try and be serious and you will look stupid
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
          I'd give him some sort of power over them.. A disciplinary one.

Comment

a piece of 2x4

Comment

Originally posted by my_dogs_named_fitzy View Post
              a piece of 2x4

It would probably take something like that to work on some of the dickheads we seem to have

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                Too right KB, the inmates were / are running the asylum

Comment

Originally posted by pearcesworstnightmare View Post
                  Too right KB, the inmates were / are running the asylum
                  And whose fault is that, apart from our piss weak management who don't have the balls to haul these little shits into line for fear that they might get pissed off and request a release.

Here's a thought - LET THEM GO! If they don't want to act like reasonable human beings and do the right thing by their team mates and the club then of what real benefit are they?

Get rid of the young and the old trouble makers and start from scratch. I don't care who they are or how talented they are or potentially could be. No one is irreplaceable.

I'd rather a few lean years whilst we assemble a squad of players who are willing to do the right thing by the Club on and off the field than keep pandering to blokes who don't have a rats about the Club, because if they did they'd realise the damage they were causing.

I reckon our playing roster is not the only group that needs some serious questions asked of it, some of management and our decision makers have a hell of a lot to answer for as well.

Hopefully the loss of Samsung as a sponsor has finally set some alarm bells ringing in the upper echelons.

NC
                  Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

I love Ricko dearly, but that woman has freaked up his mind......

Of course the only way is up......we cant go any lower that we are now........

Comment

Luke has become quite the philosopher.. not!! :P

Comment

Working...
                      X