Roosters star Jared Waerea-Hargreaves won't rule out return to rugby union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roosters star Jared Waerea-Hargreaves won't rule out return to rugby union

Kiwis prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, arguably the best front-rower in the league world, has revealed he could return to rugby union when his contract runs out with the Roosters in two years.

The 15-man code was Waerea-Hargreaves' first love and, despite his success in the NRL and at international level for New Zealand, he remains passionate about the sport.

Waerea-Hargreaves emigrated to Australia from Rotorua 10 years ago and was such a rising star he played rugby for Australia at the 2007 under-19s World Championship alongside Peter Betham, Pat McCabe, Ben McCalman, Rob Simmons and James Hanson, who all went on to play for the Wallabies.

He was on the books at the Waratahs, but the Sydney-based Super Rugby side offered him only a two-year part-time contract and he opted instead to link up with Manly in the NRL.

And while he has made every post a winner in league, he says he wouldn't rule out a return to rugby.

''I always thought I was a pretty good rugby player back in the day,'' Waerea-Hargreaves said. ''As you get older you keep your options open and all of that sort of stuff. I guess you play every year as it comes. I've still got a couple more years on my contract as it is and you never know what happens after it.''

Sonny Bill Williams has successfully switched between the codes, Benji Marshall is about to try his hand at rugby and rising Kiwis star Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, an Auckland schoolboy rugby star, has spoken about returning to union at some stage. Players these days no longer feel there should be a rivalry between the codes and openly admit to enjoying watching and playing both.

''I watch every All Blacks game and I watch the Wallabies,'' Waerea-Hargreaves said. ''I've played a lot of rugby back in the day with a lot of the current Wallabies. I still love the game and enjoy watching it.'' The Waratahs made an attempt to lure Waerea-Hargreaves back to rugby last year, but the sticking point was believed to have been over how much the Australian Rugby Union was willing to top up his contract.

However, if Waerea-Hargreaves did make the move back to rugby, it would be a black jersey, rather than a gold one, in his sights.

''I am currently sitting in a black jumper,'' he said in the Kiwis' hotel in London. ''So I can't be talking about playing for the Wallabies. I believe I bleed black.'' Waerea-Hargreaves said being in camp with the Kiwis for six weeks had helped him connect with his New Zealand upbringing.

''When you're in camp and you see some of the boys talking Maori to each other, it definitely reconnects you with your roots from back home,'' he said.

While Waerea-Hargreaves has created a life for himself here, he still refers to New Zealand as home, and feels he can keep that connection strong while at the Roosters.

''I think I'm fortunate at the Roosters because us Kiwi boys have taken over there,'' he said.

''There's around 60-70 per cent Polynesian or New Zealand Maori at the club. As I like to tell our head coach [Trent Robinson], we're taking over and soon our head coach will be a New Zealander, or I might be captain and coach.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...#ixzz2lTLmZAJr

This would not surprise me at all. All young Kiwi boys that play rugby want to play for the All Blacks and as we know with Benji, they don't have to be that young.
    Spending time with the Kiwis has obviously reconnected his passion for home, (I have been here nearly 20 years and I still call NZ home, as that was where I was born).
    For a very small country we are a very proud sporting nation.
    Don't get me wrong I love it over here and have duel citizenship but where you are born always hold a special place in your heart.
    Pauline Robinson from the "Wall".

Comment

If thats the way Jared thinks?? he faark off now..

Comment

I ruled it out for him.

Comment

I can't see Jared going back to rugby.
          His body type is now ideal for playing front row in league.
          What position would he play in rugby?
          He's not quick enough to play as a loose forward, and playing prop in that game is a hard, dirty, thankless task.
          Seems to me that he likes this old chestnut to ensure a big pay-day at contract renewal time.

Comment

Originally posted by Matty_C View Post
            He's not quick enough to play as a loose forward, and playing prop in that game is a hard, dirty, thankless task.
            Seems to me that he likes this old chestnut to ensure a big pay-day at contract renewal time.
            Right. Front row I RU are fatter and shorter, 2nd rowers are taller for the line out, flankers faster... I think his physique is not made for a forward in Union... Not that he couldn't work on it but to play for the AB will be hard.

Comment

I can't really see much in the article to indicate he is planning a return to rugby. Sure he speaks about it nicely, but saying he is keeping his options open is just a smart move that means, for his sake, anything is a possibility one day.

Comment

Jared could be a franchise rugby union player?

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181:351256
                  Right. Front row I RU are fatter and shorter, 2nd rowers are taller for the line out, flankers faster... I think his physique is not made for a forward in Union... Not that he couldn't work on it but to play for the AB will be hard.
                  Jared can stride out. Watch some highlight reels, or think back to him chasing down merrit in the Indigenous game in 2012. I know he is bigger now, but he could drop a few kgs and get the speed back.

Not that he should leave us though.

Comment

Just putting in the spade work to maximise his next contract. Chookie for life.

Comment

Originally posted by top_joe View Post
                      Jared can stride out. Watch some highlight reels, or think back to him chasing down merrit in the Indigenous game in 2012. I know he is bigger now, but he could drop a few kgs and get the speed back.

Like i said, I think that in union the forwards physique is different. Perhaps george rose could get a gig in the front row for the Wallabies. To make it in the All Black team would be very tough and not everyone has the talent of SBW. I doubt that even marshall would make it as a 3rd string #9 or #10 for even the Maori side. NZ has too many good players.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181:351275

Like i said, I think that in union the forwards physique is different. Perhaps george rose could get a gig in the front row for the Wallabies. To make it in the All Black team would be very tough and not everyone has the talent of SBW. I doubt that even marshall would make it as a 3rd string #9 or #10 for even the Maori side. NZ has too many good players.
                        Brad Thorn never dominated League like jWH, and still had a stellar career for the ABs. Jared is stonger and faster, and has a strong Union background. I think all our players could represent their respective nations in Union.

Although I am biased though. Chooks could beat Kangaroos, so we may as well add Wallabies as well...

Comment

Originally posted by BUDDY View Post
                          Just putting in the spade work to maximise his next contract. Chookie for life.
                          Offering Jared the captaincy post Mini should see Jared remain in RWB i reckon.

Comment

Brad Thorn never dominated League like jWH, and still had a stellar career for the ABs. Jared is stonger and faster, and has a strong Union background. I think all our players could represent their respective nations in Union.

Although I am biased though. Chooks could beat Kangaroos, so we may as well add Wallabies as well...
                            I think thorn was much taller than JWH and not as bulky? Good for line outs. I can't see JWH being in a line out.

Comment

its hard for a club side to beat a national side mate.My mates father played in one side that did and as far as i know they are the only club side in the history of the game to beat the poms.Dosnt happen very often

Comment

Working...
                              X