Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season Start date plus draw?????????????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A game at Suncorp and Skilled is well overdue .....

Comment

Originally posted by mashley87 View Post
      A game at Suncorp and Skilled is well overdue .....
      Great!!! I'm moving north in a few weeks. Was not looking forward to have to put up with Broncos games every Fridays but having a game at Suncorp may be some relief.

Comment

Originally posted by ROC181 View Post
        Great!!! I'm moving north in a few weeks. Was not looking forward to have to put up with Broncos games every Fridays but having a game at Suncorp may be some relief.
        no issues with the avatar, I just cant stand sokka.
        I wouldn't know who it is nor do I care who it is. im not here to make enemies , just to talk rooster stuff.

welcome to qld , and sorry on behalf of us qlders who aren't drongo supporters for all the wallys opinion on the world and there is only one team in the nrl lewis, and their crap nrma adds, and drongo tv on sunday arvos.

I have fox and look forward to sat arvo games of nrl and sat night and the early sunday games. and also the world movie chanel
        1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Originally posted by roosterproud View Post
          no issues with the avatar, I just cant stand sokka.
          I wouldn't know who it is nor do I care who it is. im not here to make enemies , just to talk rooster stuff.

welcome to qld , and sorry on behalf of us qlders who aren't drongo supporters for all the wallys opinion on the world and there is only one team in the nrl lewis, and their crap nrma adds, and drongo tv on sunday arvos.

I have fox and look forward to sat arvo games of nrl and sat night and the early sunday games. and also the world movie chanel
          Fair enough roosterP...had another 'fan' who did have an issue with my avatar who shall remain nameless cause...he's not 'worthy' of mentioning. It's cool that you don't like soccer. Not everyone has to like everything. As for AFL, well I don't really hate the sport but more like how they make it appear like it's the greatest sport on earth. FFS, no one outside this border plays that.

Yeah moving north in a few weeks to a suburb called Grange. Don't know much about it other than what I saw a few weeks ago. Hoping for good weather, great summer of golf and getting fit after a tough year running a business. Hey i might even get to do some 'sokka' coaching. Meet some single soccer mums

Comment

Fair enough roosterP...had another 'fan' who did have an issue with my avatar who shall remain nameless cause...he's not 'worthy' of mentioning. It's cool that you don't like soccer. Not everyone has to like everything. As for AFL, well I don't really hate the sport but more like how they make it appear like it's the greatest sport on earth. FFS, no one outside this border plays that.

Yeah moving north in a few weeks to a suburb called Grange. Don't know much about it other than what I saw a few weeks ago. Hoping for good weather, great summer of golf and getting fit after a tough year running a business. Hey i might even get to do some 'sokka' coaching. Meet some single soccer mums
            The best soccer player ever.

On 22 December 1880,[6] in another letter to the Meteor, Bloxam elaborates on the story:
            "A boy of the name Ellis – William Webb Ellis – a town boy and a foundationer, ... whilst playing Bigside at football in that half-year [1823], caught the ball in his arms. This being so, according to the then rules, he ought to have retired back as far as he pleased, without parting with the ball, for the combatants on the opposite side could only advance to the spot where he had caught the ball, and were unable to rush forward till he had either punted it or had placed it for some one else to kick, for it was by means of these placed kicks that most of the goals were in those days kicked, but the moment the ball touched the ground the opposite side might rush on. Ellis, for the first time, disregarded this rule, and on catching the ball, instead of retiring backwards, rushed forwards with the ball in his hands towards the opposite goal, with what result as to the game I know not, neither do I know how this infringement of a well-known rule was followed up, or when it became, as it is now, a standing rule."

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
              The best soccer player ever.

On 22 December 1880,[6] in another letter to the Meteor, Bloxam elaborates on the story:
              "A boy of the name Ellis – William Webb Ellis – a town boy and a foundationer, ... whilst playing Bigside at football in that half-year [1823], caught the ball in his arms. This being so, according to the then rules, he ought to have retired back as far as he pleased, without parting with the ball, for the combatants on the opposite side could only advance to the spot where he had caught the ball, and were unable to rush forward till he had either punted it or had placed it for some one else to kick, for it was by means of these placed kicks that most of the goals were in those days kicked, but the moment the ball touched the ground the opposite side might rush on. Ellis, for the first time, disregarded this rule, and on catching the ball, instead of retiring backwards, rushed forwards with the ball in his hands towards the opposite goal, with what result as to the game I know not, neither do I know how this infringement of a well-known rule was followed up, or when it became, as it is now, a standing rule."

Good one STSAE...your actually saying you admire this guy for inventing union? I like union too and out of both rugby codes, I only played rugby at junior & senior level. I somewhat think you meant otherwise so maybe you should research who instead of taking the ball and getting tackled and rather than continuing with the maul or ruck, decided to play it under his feet, 6 times. That would be interesting to know.

Comment

Grange is a good suburb ROC. On the Northside (the best side), not far from everything you will need.

Comment

Good one STSAE...your actually saying you admire this guy for inventing union? I like union too and out of both rugby codes, I only played rugby at junior & senior level. I somewhat think you meant otherwise so maybe you should research who instead of taking the ball and getting tackled and rather than continuing with the maul or ruck, decided to play it under his feet, 6 times. That would be interesting to know.
                  I played a bit of Yawnion in my younger days too mate.

To add about the RL stuff you may find this interesting.

1895 investigation[edit]
                  The claim that Webb Ellis invented the game did not surface until four years after his death and doubts have been raised about the story since 1895, when it was first investigated by the Old Rugbeian Society. The sub-committee conducting the investigation was "unable to procure any first hand evidence of the occurrence".[7]
                  Among those giving evidence, Thomas Harris and his brother John, who had left Rugby in 1828 and 1832 respectively (i.e. after the alleged Webb Ellis incident) recalled that handling of the ball was strictly forbidden. Harris, who requested that he "not [be] quote[d] as an authority", testified that Webb Ellis had been known as someone to take an "unfair advantage at football".[7] Harris, who would have been aged 10 years at the time of the alleged incident, did not claim to have been a witness to it, additionally, he stated that he had not heard the story of Webb Ellis' creation of the game.[7]
                  Thomas Hughes (author of Tom Brown's Schooldays) was asked to comment on the game as played when he attended the school (1834–1842). He is quoted as saying "In my first year, 1834, running with the ball to get a try by touching down within goal was not absolutely forbidden, but a jury of Rugby boys of that day would almost certainly have found a verdict of 'justifiable homicide' if a boy had been killed in running in."
                  It has been suggested by Dunning and Sheard (2005) that it was no coincidence that this investigation was conducted in 1895, at a time when divisions within the sport led to the schism; the split into the sports of league and union.[2] Dunning and Sheard suggest that the endorsement of a "reductionist" origin myth by the Rugbeians was an attempt to assert their school's position and authority over a sport that they were losing control of.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Webb_Ellis

All this comes from Wiki so who knows. I recall reading some interesting history from Sean Fagan a very well credentialed RL historian. He has some evidence the tackle and play the ball (RL style) may have been used before the ruck and maul (Yawnion style) back in the very early days, before the split in 1895. But I haven't been able to find that currently, if I do I will post it at another date.

His website is here http://rl1908.wordpress.com/ and here http://sfaganweb.wix.com/books

Some great info for the history buffs.

Long live those that pick the pigskin up and like to run with it.

Last edited by stsae; 11-27-2013, 12:10 PM.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by adzta View Post
                    Grange is a good suburb ROC. On the Northside (the best side), not far from everything you will need.
                    Thanks adzta...yes I was there a few weeks ago. Nice suburb just too far away from Allianz stadium though. Already ensuring I make frequent trips to Sydney and doing some freelance camera work will ensure I do some work here too. Getting my motor bike shipped there so will be a tourist on 2 wheels for a while.

Comment

a non-fixed draw would still have dud games on Friday nights as nein pick on who's the big drawers instead of the form teams

Comment

Originally posted by stsae View Post
                        I played a bit of Yawnion in my younger days too mate.

To add about the RL stuff you may find this interesting.

1895 investigation[edit]
                        The claim that Webb Ellis invented the game did not surface until four years after his death and doubts have been raised about the story since 1895, when it was first investigated by the Old Rugbeian Society. The sub-committee conducting the investigation was "unable to procure any first hand evidence of the occurrence".[7]
                        Among those giving evidence, Thomas Harris and his brother John, who had left Rugby in 1828 and 1832 respectively (i.e. after the alleged Webb Ellis incident) recalled that handling of the ball was strictly forbidden. Harris, who requested that he "not [be] quote[d] as an authority", testified that Webb Ellis had been known as someone to take an "unfair advantage at football".[7] Harris, who would have been aged 10 years at the time of the alleged incident, did not claim to have been a witness to it, additionally, he stated that he had not heard the story of Webb Ellis' creation of the game.[7]
                        Thomas Hughes (author of Tom Brown's Schooldays) was asked to comment on the game as played when he attended the school (1834–1842). He is quoted as saying "In my first year, 1834, running with the ball to get a try by touching down within goal was not absolutely forbidden, but a jury of Rugby boys of that day would almost certainly have found a verdict of 'justifiable homicide' if a boy had been killed in running in."
                        It has been suggested by Dunning and Sheard (2005) that it was no coincidence that this investigation was conducted in 1895, at a time when divisions within the sport led to the schism; the split into the sports of league and union.[2] Dunning and Sheard suggest that the endorsement of a "reductionist" origin myth by the Rugbeians was an attempt to assert their school's position and authority over a sport that they were losing control of.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Webb_Ellis

All this comes from Wiki so who knows. I recall reading some interesting history from Sean Fagan a very well credentialed RL historian. He has some evidence the tackle and play the ball (RL style) may have been used before the ruck and maul (Yawnion style) back in the very early days, before the split in 1895. But I haven't been able to find that currently, if I do I will post it at another date.

His website is here http://rl1908.wordpress.com/ and here http://sfaganweb.wix.com/books

Some great info for the history buffs.

Long live those that pick the pigskin up and like to run with it.

Comment

Hopefully bloody softs aren't given too many Friday night games.

Comment

lets have a flash back to 2011 where the drongos got 17 Friday night games in one season and four sunday arvo games.....ewwwww......not too bad considering that they didn't make the finals hahahahahahahfreeekin haaaaaaaa and there were 26 rounds including two byes. so the drongos had two Saturday night games on fox and a Saturday arvo game...........I dare nein to do that again. dumbassed id yots
                            1911 1912 1913 1923 1935 1936 1937 1940 1945 1974 1975 2002 2013 2018 2019 2020

Comment

Updated information Full draw Wednesday 4th December
                              When you trust your television
                              what you get is what you got
                              Cause when they own the information
                              they can bend it all they want

John Mayer

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Walker View Post
                                Updated information Full draw Wednesday 4th December
                                I liked the "Fulld raw" better before the edit, Shandy.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                                X