Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Club Challenge

Link: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...226-33ikp.html

World Club Challenge: Big game, big crowd but little cash reward for Roosters and Wigan
    Daniel Lane

World Club Champions. It ought to be considered one of rugby league's most prestigious titles but as the Sydney Roosters discovered after they defeated Britain's Wigan Warriors last Saturday, its monetary worth is a paltry $42,500.

''For a game of that stature you'd think it would be worth more,'' said Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan when he was asked about the winner's cheque.

The game was televised by Channel Nine and played in front of a whopping crowd of 31,515 at Allianz Stadium, where the defending NRL champions overpowered the visitors 36-14.

While the trophy presented to the tricolours was ornate, it is understood the size of the winner-takes-all cheque raised eyebrows - especially when it was noted North Queensland pocketed $370,000 for winning the Auckland Nines.

It was understood the NRL, which underwrote the match, needed a crowd of 26,000 - where adults tickets ranged from $55 to $25 - to break even after outlaying $350,000 for Wigan's squad and support staff to fly business class to Australia, stay in quality accommodation, be fed and play.

It is understood the outlay made it impossible for the NRL to offer more prizemoney.

The match was controlled and underwritten by the NRL under the same format as the ''home ground'' finals series, where a team may play the semi-final at their home ground. While the home team's staff might perform their usual match day duties, which is overseen by NRL officials, it is the governing body that takes the gate.

Canavan said the public's reaction to the game was a welcome surprise and he suggested more should be done to maximise the event. ''We didn't expect 31,500, which was a great crowd,'' he said.

''[There are some questions including] when do you stage the game? It's been mentioned it could be played after the grand final and that it's staged in the year the grand final was played - there's merit in that.

''Do you expand it so it's attached to the Nines and have guest overseas clubs play in the Nines and have them play in an expanded World Club Challenge? We found from our supporters there is an appetite for the match and those things ought to be considered.''

He said he had heard the thousands of Wigan supporters who travelled to Sydney for the match were disappointed that there was not a souvenir program produced for the historic match.

''We were disappointed as well,'' Canavan said.

When asked whether the program was the NRL's responsibility, he said: ''That's where it lay.''

It is understood when the program issue was raised on the night the NRL blamed confusion. The organisation thought that because the Roosters were responsible for the logistics on the night, they would look after the program.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Damn, that is poor from the NRL and Easts.

Roosters commercial/marketing are eejits. Fancy (and remember, they're taking care of game day) not enquiring with the NRL about collateral pre-and-post game, especially when they knew they weren't doing it.
    Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

Oh no, not a program.

Trust the poms to give a crap about stuff like that.

Integrity committee needs to be straight onto this...

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
        Oh no, not a program.

Lots of people collect them myself included. Your own club could have pocketed quite a health sum had they bothered to print a few. I would have bought 3 or 4 alone.

Comment

I've been to rugby league, premier league football, football, rugby league & Union World Cup, test cricket (in several countries) matches my whole life and the game last weekend is honestly the only one I can remember where there was no match day programme available. You go work that one out.

Comment

Originally posted by DanWRL View Post
            Lots of people collect them myself included. Your own club could have pocketed quite a health sum had they bothered to print a few. I would have bought 3 or 4 alone.
            I doubt it, buying the "match day program" just isn't as big of a deal in Australia as it is in England.

I get the fact that it would've been a nice souvenir but that's all it would be, it's way more economical for clubs to provide content to fans online than it is in a match day program.

Comment

Originally posted by DanWRL View Post
              I doubt it, buying the "match day program" just isn't as big of a deal in Australia as it is in England.

I get the fact that it would've been a nice souvenir but that's all it would be, it's way more economical for clubs to provide content to fans online than it is in a match day program.

Comment

I agree the match should be held in the same year as the the the grandfinal ... Wigan were at a major disadvantage ..

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster-rooster-man View Post
                  I agree the match should be held in the same year as the the the grandfinal ... Wigan were at a major disadvantage ..
                  When would you play it ?
                  I heard Gus mention that Penrith in 1991 played the WCC a week or two after the GF. Said that after celebrating the GF, their minds just weren't on playing.
                  Kinda like finally finishing all your HSC exams, schools all done ..... then being told you need to study for another test !

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
                    When would you play it ?
                    I heard Gus mention that Penrith in 1991 played the WCC a week or two after the GF. Said that after celebrating the GF, their minds just weren't on playing.
                    Kinda like finally finishing all your HSC exams, schools all done ..... then being told you need to study for another test !
                    That's a good question and I'm really not sure ...but it seemed like everyone was treating it like an important game maybe the attitude towards it is changing ..

it doesn't seem right that the players that won the grand final don't get to represent there club ..

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster_6 View Post
                      Oh no, not a program.

R6, you're missing the point. It's not about a Program per se, but all merch pertaining to the event. It's a core deliverable of marketing, and this situation highlights a flaw in the NRLs model, and a discrepancy at the Roosters Marketing end.

I presume you don't work in the marketing/media/commercial space, but I do and I can see the gap - that's all.

It's not a scandal or a crisis, but it is a noteworthy crack that needs patched up in both camps.

To me this boils down (at the Roosters end) to either: a passive aggressive stance due to ill-will at having an uneven equity split, or basic amateurishness. Make of it what you like.
                      Making Steve Naughton look like Vince Mellars...

Comment

I don't care when we play the WCC. We win them whenever they want to play them..

Comment

Originally posted by Salvatori Grubber View Post
                          R6, you're missing the point. It's not about a Program per se, but all merch pertaining to the event. It's a core deliverable of marketing, and this situation highlights a flaw in the NRLs model, and a discrepancy at the Roosters Marketing end.

I presume you don't work in the marketing/media/commercial space, but I do and I can see the gap - that's all.

It's not a scandal or a crisis, but it is a noteworthy crack that needs patched up in both camps.

To me this boils down (at the Roosters end) to either: a passive aggressive stance due to ill-will at having an uneven equity split, or basic amateurishness. Make of it what you like.
                          I think the article, and Trenticles comments after the game, highlighted the NRL set this game up. They received the gate, paid The Wiggles expenses and should have been responsible for the promotion of the event. I don't believe anyone was prepared for the size of the crowd or the interest it generated.

That said I was having a convo at the game with someone who highlighted the point The Wiggles had a commemorative shirt available on their website to mark the event. Why our marketing wasn't selling such an item shows the short sighted attitude we have in this area.

Hopefully a lesson is learnt by all concerned, us and the NRL, that this event should be promoted as the start of the new season. Getting a backing sponsor should be the first thing on the agenda and using Ch9 to promote the event and make it the start of the calendar.

The charity shield is garbage but it was promoted in the media heavier than the WCC.

The Poms have a much better mentality IMO when it comes to this event. Lets hope we learn from it.

The FlogPen .

You know it makes sense.

Comment

in terms of programs, I collect them when I go to watch international rugby games. And I got one at the Nines too.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade View Post
                              in terms of programs, I collect them when I go to watch international rugby games. And I got one at the Nines too.
                              Exactly. People all around the world by them. I myself have bought many old international programmes off Australians via eBay etc. it's completely blind to suggest that there isn't a market for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X