Bit of humble pie, plus team review so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of humble pie, plus team review so far

I bagged out SKD not too long ago questioning his status as an nrl player. Not saying im now a fan nor am i saying we should re-sign him but he has improved. Defensively he has been good and is actually making yardage with the ball in hand unlike most of our forward pack.. He still has errors in him but im not shitting myself every time he gets the ball. He is also almost overshadowing our favourite centre in jennings who needs more space.

I think our forwards just gotta do the simple stuff right. Tuck the ball under their wing and run hard then play the ball quick to get the opposition on the backfoot. Our pack is good enough to bend the line with every run if they choose, they just gotta run effing hard.

We lost last night because of our execution. Im not very happy with 3 losses on the trot, quite the opposite, but its just lucky its rd 6 not 26..

TIT, some players have been good whilst others havent and this needs to change if we wanna turn our season around, im aware every team is stepping up to play us so im not super critical but we must start winning ASAP!

Mini has been ok.. Tupou has been impressive running the ball but lets us done with his finishes, in todays game wingers need to learn how to get the ball down with little or no room. Tupou unfortunately hasnt learnt this skill as yet however im still a big fan. Jenko has been quiet, needs more opportunities. SKD is SKD rocks or diamonds. RTS has been very very quiet. Thought he was in for a big season, i think the world cup highlighted just how good he is and he's receiving extra attention from other teams. Maloney looks to be down on confidence. Needs to step up. Pearce is trying hard. JWH is huge and needs to just get his hands dirty and run hard! Cords has been pretty good i think, bombed a try last night but works hard. Guerra is an edge forward not a middle forward. Sonny has been a little dissapointing, been expecting more, not sure if my expectations are to high or not but i think he needs to stand up. FPN work rate is low, but it has always been, and he has actually impressed me in some games this year as he had been the only one to bend the line. Moa has been solid. Friend has also been solid. Liu has been quite good. Napa and Evans need to pick up there workload and maubs doesnt stand out too much. Just my opinion anyway..

For me the main difference between this year & last year has been luck. You need a lot of luck to win the comp & the Roosters were very lucky last year. Not just because they never had any major injuries, suspensions or out of form players mainly because of the options they took came off. Or that ball that stuck last year we have dropped this year or the FG Pearce missed I believe he would have kicked it last year or the ball would have gone to Maloney who would have put it over.

IMO it's just stuff like that, that is getting in the way of the wins. Again IMO the Roosters had there chances to win the last 2 games but the luck was not with them.

Comment

I agree, but when you play good enough you make your own luck. We need to step up and beat the sharks convincingly next weekend and play ourselves into form and get some confidence back

Comment

Originally posted by LB 13 View Post
        I agree, but when you play good enough you make your own luck. We need to step up and beat the sharks convincingly next weekend and play ourselves into form and get some confidence back
        You need luck with you first, from that you then play good enough because things come off because the luck is with you.

The way you earn luck is usually by working harder than the other 15 teams & always doing the 1%. I don't think all the FG squad are doing the 1% at the moment & they are not having much luck.

Comment

I wouldn't say we had that much luck last year. JWH, , SBW and LOD all had decent suspensions. Got pumped in every penalty count. Lost plenty of player's to origin. Na easts won the comp on their own merits . No luck just good management.

Comment

We were hungry last year, the players don't have that desire any more.

Comment

Originally posted by easts4eva View Post
              I wouldn't say we had that much luck last year. JWH, , SBW and LOD all had decent suspensions. Got pumped in every penalty count. Lost plenty of player's to origin. Na easts won the comp on their own merits . No luck just good management.
              5 weeks & under are not decent suspensions 12 weeks is. We had no major injury last year & we have been getting pumped in the penalties for the last 10 years. We had luck when we "Lost plenty of player's to origin" as you say, it was 3 origin players (lost plenty, PLEASE, 5 or 6 players out to origin is plenty).

Go & ask Robbo if the Roosters had luck last year?
              You will find the answer is yes because he has stated that himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Stehr View Post
                We were hungry last year, the players don't have that desire any more.
                This is the big difference to me. The players also had a big desire to defend our line at all costs and to keep teams to 0. I somehow doubt they've even thought of that recently

Comment

Originally posted by Chook Norris View Post
                  This is the big difference to me. The players also had a big desire to defend our line at all costs and to keep teams to 0. I somehow doubt they've even thought of that recently
                  They got 28 put on them against Souths in rd 1 this year the same amount Souths put on the Roosters in rd 1 2013.
                  Rd 2 this year they had 4 points scored against them by Parra, rd 2 last year it was 14 by the Warriors.
                  Rd 3 this year they beat the Broncos but conceded 26 points, rd 3 last year against the Broncos was 0.
                  Rd 4 this year Manly put 8 points on the Roosters, rd 4 last year against Parra was 0
                  Rd 5 this year Dogs put 9 on the Roosters, rd 5 last year the Raiders put 24 on us
                  Rd 6 this year Parra put 14 on us, rd 6 last year we held the dogs to 0.

The difference this year to last is 23 points against so I don't think they are huge numbers. The Roosters have played 3 genuine top 8 sides this year (Souths Manly Dogs) & Parra a 4th team that I think will be in the 8. Where as last year the Roosters had only played 2 top 8 teams a weak & disjointed Bulldogs & Souths the other 4 games were against bottom 8 teams.

Im not saying you are not right but don't think there is a defence problem, I think there are a couple of guys out of form mainly being Maloney & to a lesser degree SBW & maybe not everyone is doing the 1 percenters.

Comment

The defense against Parra was poor, they looked like scoring every time thay got in our 20. I had great confidence in our d last year but this year I'm a nervous wreck whenever a team is in our 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Lane View Post
                      The difference this year to last is 23 points against so I don't think they are huge numbers. The Roosters have played 3 genuine top 8 sides this year (Souths Manly Dogs) & Parra a 4th team that I think will be in the 8. Where as last year the Roosters had only played 2 top 8 teams a weak & disjointed Bulldogs & Souths the other 4 games were against bottom 8 teams.

Im not saying you are not right but don't think there is a defence problem, I think there are a couple of guys out of form mainly being Maloney & to a lesser degree SBW & maybe not everyone is doing the 1 percenters.
                      You're right, 23 isn't a huge difference but the fact we were determined enough to hold teams out to 0 three times last year in the first 6 rounds says a lot, to me. It is about the 1 percenters, and we seem to have gone away from them so far

Comment

Working...
                      X