X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter O'Sullivan on Talking Sport

Didn't here it but pinched from another forum

Peter O'sullivan on Talkin' Sport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He spent a good hour and a half on Talkin Sport this after noon. Missed the first 15 mins and the last 5 mins but the gist of most of it was:

- He's very excited about the new talent coming through the grades at the moment. Rates Boyd Cordner as something special and ready for first grade next season even though he's not even 18. Has a high opinion of Cheyse Blair and also BJ Leilua that he signed from St George. Called him an 18yr old pro who's been excellent at pre-season training.

- PJ Du Plessis will get on the plane to Australia next week. The school year has only just finished over in SA and they had some visa issues to sort out, but he's on his way.

- Jacob Miller is a work inprogress and a few years away from NRL

- Hughie Stanley has shown he has an excellent skill base, but needs to wotk on his body/strength. He will play NYC next year.

- Ryan Williamson has been training well but has suffered a quad strain or something. Talked about how little game time he's had over the past two seasons and is hoping that he will get a decent off season behind him.

- Very excited about Jared Warea-Hargreaves. He said he thought they may have paid overs for him initially, but after his performance in the semi against Melbourne and then in the Four Nations think they may have got something very special.

- Thinks the forward pack is extremely strong, just lacking an 'edge' runner in the Hoffman/Creagh mould. Can see Ryles, Myles, Hargreaves, Paea and FPN providing a great base

- The Carney to fullback move is not a myth, they really will try him there and see how he goes. Reckons Carney is a terrific young guy who has had his issues but will be a great buy for the club. Carney comes over to his place for dinner twice a week.

- Mini looks a million dollars and is having his best off-season for a long time.

- Sees his role to re-build us from the ground up. Said when he took over at Melbourne they had an ageing roster and they needed to start afresh. Thinks we're in the same boat.

- Said he's extremely impressed by Rohan Smith and Trent Robinson (is that his name, I can't remember). Said they run most of the sessions with Brian Smith chiming in when needed to add the finishing touches. Reckons they're two of the most impressive young coaches he's come across in his time in the game.

- Said there's a great buzz about the place and a tremendous energy at the moment. He's very excited about the way things are going

- I didn't hear him comment on the Jake Friend incident.

- Was asked about Winterstein and Tamou. Winterstein had a poor year the previous season in under 20's and wasn't happy, he reckons the change of environment and the need to start from scratch helped with his improvement. Tamou, they would have loved to have kept, but already had seven front rowers on the books and couldn't afford to keep him after the Cowboys weighed in with their offer.

That's about all I can remember. It was very insightful, and actually quite exciting listening to him. Needed this piece of good news to brighten the day after 'No-Friends' latest faux pas.

all sounds good. By now after all the drama I assumed JP wasn't coming.
    Expecting big things next year

Comment

Symonds is an edge runner?

He hits holes at pace on the fringes, he is one hell of a player IMO.

Comment

Horry, thanks for going to the effort of posting what POS had to say.
        I am also cautiously looking forward to see how season 2010 pans out for the Roosters.

And as for the "edge runner", Mack has hit the nail on the head - Tom Symonds. My only question is who misses out to make way for Tom?
        "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A couple of years ago there was this guy that was probably the most damaging "edge runner" in the game..

What was his name?

He used to play for the Dogs..

Won a grand-final against us..

Won the Churchill medal..

Anyone????

Comment

Originally posted by Pass the Ball View Post
            A couple of years ago there was this guy that was probably the most damaging "edge runner" in the game..

What was his name?

He used to play for the Dogs..

Won a grand-final against us..

Won the Churchill medal..

Anyone????
            Willie is past it
            has been since the start of 2007

Comment

That's him..

Willie Mason..

What ever happened to that guy???

Who does he play for now???

Comment

He now plays for "The Legends In Their Own Mind" comp at Stilletoes. I am told he is currently under suspension for taking little blue pills that were deemed to be performance enhancing.

Comment

Originally posted by Pass the Ball View Post
                  That's him..

Willie Mason..

What ever happened to that guy???

Who does he play for now???

Second-row for Newtown or possibly warming their bench!

Comment

Glad to see Mason isn't in any of our plans

Comment

Tom Symonds is a future Roosters captain.
                      The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                      Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                      sigpic

Comment

BJ Leilua, phil graham, 2011 recruitment, other S'Africans players....

Originally posted by Horry View Post
                        Didn't here it but pinched from another forum

Peter O'sullivan on Talkin' Sport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He spent a good hour and a half on Talkin Sport this after noon. Missed the first 15 mins and the last 5 mins but the gist of most of it was:

- He's very excited about the new talent coming through the grades at the moment. Rates Boyd Cordner as something special and ready for first grade next season even though he's not even 18. Has a high opinion of Cheyse Blair and also BJ Leilua that he signed from St George. Called him an 18yr old pro who's been excellent at pre-season training.
                        - PJ Du Plessis will get on the plane to Australia next week. The school year has only just finished over in SA and they had some visa issues to sort out, but he's on his way.

- Jacob Miller is a work inprogress and a few years away from NRL

- Hughie Stanley has shown he has an excellent skill base, but needs to wotk on his body/strength. He will play NYC next year.

- Ryan Williamson has been training well but has suffered a quad strain or something. Talked about how little game time he's had over the past two seasons and is hoping that he will get a decent off season behind him.

- Very excited about Jared Warea-Hargreaves. He said he thought they may have paid overs for him initially, but after his performance in the semi against Melbourne and then in the Four Nations think they may have got something very special.

- Thinks the forward pack is extremely strong, just lacking an 'edge' runner in the Hoffman/Creagh mould. Can see Ryles, Myles, Hargreaves, Paea and FPN providing a great base

- The Carney to fullback move is not a myth, they really will try him there and see how he goes. Reckons Carney is a terrific young guy who has had his issues but will be a great buy for the club. Carney comes over to his place for dinner twice a week.

- Mini looks a million dollars and is having his best off-season for a long time.

- Sees his role to re-build us from the ground up. Said when he took over at Melbourne they had an ageing roster and they needed to start afresh. Thinks we're in the same boat.

- Said he's extremely impressed by Rohan Smith and Trent Robinson (is that his name, I can't remember). Said they run most of the sessions with Brian Smith chiming in when needed to add the finishing touches. Reckons they're two of the most impressive young coaches he's come across in his time in the game.

- Said there's a great buzz about the place and a tremendous energy at the moment. He's very excited about the way things are going

- I didn't hear him comment on the Jake Friend incident.

- Was asked about Winterstein and Tamou. Winterstein had a poor year the previous season in under 20's and wasn't happy, he reckons the change of environment and the need to start from scratch helped with his improvement. Tamou, they would have loved to have kept, but already had seven front rowers on the books and couldn't afford to keep him after the Cowboys weighed in with their offer.

That's about all I can remember. It was very insightful, and actually quite exciting listening to him. Needed this piece of good news to brighten the day after 'No-Friends' latest faux pas.
                        This is a very good summary of what was said by POS.
                        I was lucky enough to get on and ask a few ??? A few more points to add:
                        - reckons BJ Leilua plays both 2nd row/centre and expects him to break into
                        1st grade early on in the year playing in the centres.
                        - admitted we are lacking in the centres however Smith acknowledges Phil Graham's speed and experience and expects to utilise him in the centres.
                        - Over the past month or so, he and Smith have sat down & had a chat about recruitment for 2011. (i hope they address the centre conundrum).
                        - POS answered my question about Du Plessis by confirming his arrival shortly. He went on to say a few more would be arriving to trial pending SA immigration clearances. I can't remember whether he said they would be arriving in January or later on??
                        - A dickhead Souffs supporter was going on about our ingrained player behavioural issues and lack of juniors blah, blah, blah...... To his credit, POS admitted there were problems however the club is committed to turning things around. Explained there are many good people at the Roosters who care.
                        - Finally, he said there is a positive buzz about the players and that he and the coaching staff are very excited at the challenge ahead.

Just remember all, the players POS spots, recruits and develops thru the lower grades do not become good/regular 1st graders for 2-3 years (Inglis, Hoffman,Tolman). The Storms 2009 premiership winning NYC team is testament to this. POS had alot to do with assembling this squad when their heirachy decided to base their NYC team out of Melbourne and incredibly they achieved success in their inaugural year.
                        Last edited by theGman; 12-15-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

**** me drunk....

I don't care how well Carney plays at fullback, whatever he does would be better playing in the halves.

Its about his ONLY off-season he's had in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Danish View Post
                            **** me drunk....

I don't care how well Carney plays at fullback, whatever he does would be better playing in the halves.

Its about his ONLY off-season he's had in a long time.
                            Didn't Mini have one last year as well
                            Spanner gone and never forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by Jollyjock View Post
                              Didn't Mini have one last year as well
                              Yes,he certainly did...

Comment

Working...
                              X