Give Friend the Carney treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Friend the Carney treatment

He's too young with too much potential to throw out for another club.

We need to work with the NRL on this & have them deregister him for 12 months, have the club suspend him without pay for 12 months & let the good people of Atherton have another barman/park footballer.

If he can go the year without stuffing up any further then we can take him back for the last 2 years of his contract.

Recent events have shown that there's nothing to gain from sacking your stars or young guns. We're having enough trouble keeping a good squad together.

Originally posted by Jarlicho View Post

We need to work with the NRL on this & have them deregister him for 12 months, have the club suspend him without pay for 12 months & let the good people of Atherton have another barman/park footballer.

If he can go the year without stuffing up any further then we can take him back for the last 2 years of his contract.

Recent events have shown that there's nothing to gain from sacking your stars or young guns. We're having enough trouble keeping a good squad together.
    Sounds good!

Comment

Yeup, great idea, I thought the same thing once I calmed down. The thing is I think this guy can play and could be good value for the Roosters once his issues with alcohol are sorted. I would hate to see him tear it up in any other jersey.
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

This is what I was thinking this yesterday, his contract should also be packed with clauses just like Carney's. Make him work for his money and realise how privileged he actually is.

Comment

Let's be honest here..

Carney only got special treatment because he is a very talented footballer..

We have been paying his and his mothers wage whilst on sabbatical in Atherton..(This is my opinion only).

Friend is a nuffy who will never get the same treatment as Carney and nor should he..

Comment

Bring back the team beatings.
            Let Friend get the crap beaten out of him by the senior players
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

I thought the Carney treatment would be stand him in a bar and let the fireman go to work

Comment

Sounds good in theory but whether it would be to our benefit depends on Jake's attitude and how he responds to such a suggestion.

And as far as I'm concerned, his focus currently shouldn't be on football at all, but on counselling and rehab for his alcohol problems. And I suspect it would have to be extensive and intensive rehab. And it is probably best he is close to his family while he undertakes it.

Some park footy would assist his rehab, but it should come second to getting himself sorted out. Certainly he shouldn't be playing NRL or even NYC in 2010. He doesn't deserve those privileges.

NC
                Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by novice chook View Post
                  Sounds good in theory but whether it would be to our benefit depends on Jake's attitude and how he responds to such a suggestion.

Some park footy would assist his rehab, but it should come second to getting himself sorted out. Certainly he shouldn't be playing NRL or even NYC in 2010. He doesn't deserve those privileges.

NC
                  This is exactly my point, if we send him bush for the year we can moniter how his attitude is progressing to decide if we want to give him another chance after the 12 months is up.

We gain nothing by sacking Jake Friend. If we're able to give him the wake up call that he needs without losing him to the club then i think it's worth while trying. At his age we need to do more for the kid & league players in general. casting them aside serves no-ones best interest.

Comment

This is exactly my point, if we send him bush for the year we can moniter how his attitude is progressing to decide if we want to give him another chance after the 12 months is up.

We gain nothing by sacking Jake Friend. If we're able to give him the wake up call that he needs without losing him to the club then i think it's worth while trying. At his age we need to do more for the kid & league players in general. casting them aside serves no-ones best interest.
                    But how many chances do you give a player before you realise that unless he wants to help himself, nothing about his behaviour will change and there is nothing the club can do about that.

Jake has been treated very well by the Roosters and all he has done so far is show that he doesn't learn from his mistakes. There is nothing to say anything will be different in 2-3 years time. Some people just don't learn.

League players are generally treated very well - in fact too well. That's why we have these problems, because the players are pandered to again and again and again. They aren't accountable for their actions, everyone makes excuses for them.

NC

Comment

as long as we dont put willie there too, put him with paddo colts for a while then into 20s then fg iff needed?

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                        as long as we dont put willie there too, put him with paddo colts for a while then into 20s then fg iff needed?
                        I would not give this bloke the privilege of NYC or NRL in 2010. He will learn nothing from a half arsed suspension, which is what you are considering.

NC

Comment

Working...
                        X