X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith interview

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nr...-1225812017512

It is too long to paste here lol...

A long read but also an interesting one..

Comment

There was an article in the Sunday Telecrap too...a positive Brian Smith article. I was shocked.

Comment

"It does annoy me from time to time when I listen to somebody on the radio just in the last couple of days, against my better judgement, I listened to them hooking into a young guy that’s made multiple errors in Jake’s case in the last six or eight months. They speak about him without any compassion, without any understanding, it gets to where they talk about footballers needing a ‘real job’. Like as if the job they are in is not the most accountable place they can be?

There’s very few people that go to work everyday and when they arrive there, they’re very near the top of their game, physically and mentally, and be questioned about it on a daily basis – two to three times a day – and they’re often being questioned about their physical limits. Being late for work as a footballer is a massive no-no. How many people are late for work on an irregular basis? People are pretty understanding about it (in the general workplace) but to be one minute late for training is just taboo. You do not go there.”

Yes it is fun and they do love doing it but the accountablity is enormous. For young guys to get themselves organised is enormous. It’s not as if you get on the same bus of work and start at the same time. They get different schedules, they have obligations to meet with the other people, wearing the right clothes and uniforms, presenting themselves well, quite a lot of them are doing courses of education around all that. Some of them had families.

It’s like these guys are the image of sitting at home playing Nintendo all day."

Agree 100%
        It irritates me when people try to claim that professional sportspeople should get "a real job". It reeks of bitterness and jealousy. The worst is when it comes from dickhead radio shock jocks. Like that is more of "a real job" than a Rugby League player. I know which one puts more time and energy in, and it isn't the radio personality.

Comment

Originally posted by adamkungl View Post
          "It does annoy me from time to time when I listen to somebody on the radio just in the last couple of days, against my better judgement, I listened to them hooking into a young guy that’s made multiple errors in Jake’s case in the last six or eight months. They speak about him without any compassion, without any understanding, it gets to where they talk about footballers needing a ‘real job’. Like as if the job they are in is not the most accountable place they can be?

There’s very few people that go to work everyday and when they arrive there, they’re very near the top of their game, physically and mentally, and be questioned about it on a daily basis – two to three times a day – and they’re often being questioned about their physical limits. Being late for work as a footballer is a massive no-no. How many people are late for work on an irregular basis? People are pretty understanding about it (in the general workplace) but to be one minute late for training is just taboo. You do not go there.”

Yes it is fun and they do love doing it but the accountablity is enormous. For young guys to get themselves organised is enormous. It’s not as if you get on the same bus of work and start at the same time. They get different schedules, they have obligations to meet with the other people, wearing the right clothes and uniforms, presenting themselves well, quite a lot of them are doing courses of education around all that. Some of them had families.

It’s like these guys are the image of sitting at home playing Nintendo all day."

Agree 100%
          It irritates me when people try to claim that professional sportspeople should get "a real job". It reeks of bitterness and jealousy. The worst is when it comes from dickhead radio shock jocks. Like that is more of "a real job" than a Rugby League player. I know which one puts more time and energy in, and it isn't the radio personality.
          What you say is true - it isn't easy. But, at the same time, these guys are INCREDIBLY lucky to get to play footy and earn very good money. People slave away for years on jobs, working till their 65, and these guys have the opportunity to be able to make a life's worth in 7 or 8 years, if they just pull their head in a bit.

It's a mix of underestimation of the chance they've got, by themselves, and the work they put in, by the media.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindFreddy View Post
            What you say is true - it isn't easy. But, at the same time, these guys are INCREDIBLY lucky to get to play footy and earn very good money. People slave away for years on jobs, working till their 65, and these guys have the opportunity to be able to make a life's worth in 7 or 8 years, if they just pull their head in a bit.

It's a mix of underestimation of the chance they've got, by themselves, and the work they put in, by the media.
            and plenty of those that slave until they are 65 had no aspirations to do anything... they were lazy, unmotivated and expected things to just happen.
            Last edited by Dubai; 12-21-2009, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dubai View Post
              and plenty of those that slave until they are 65 had no aspirations to do anything... they were lazy, unmotivated and expected things to just happen.
              Yeah, and plenty more were decent, hardworking people.

Mate, a large portion of footballers would have ended up being nothings if not for footy - dumb, uneducated, and, like Jake Friend, irresponsible. They are extremely lucky to do what they do, and that's undeniable.

Comment

i enjoyed reading that, smithy seems to be a man with his head in the right direction? im looking forward to meeting and chatting with him after a home game , back at the club!

Comment

Originally posted by BlindFreddy View Post
                  Yeah, and plenty more were decent, hardworking people.

Mate, a large portion of footballers would have ended up being nothings if not for footy - dumb, uneducated, and, like Jake Friend, irresponsible. They are extremely lucky to do what they do, and that's undeniable.
                  Most of them have to work hard to get to the point of being a first grader though. Maybe luck does not come so much into it.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but that article was very poorly written and for me detracted from what could have been an excellent read. Nevertheless, I took from it that Mr Smith talks a good talk and has been able to see through to the core issues that need fixing at the Roosters. Hopeful times ahead for the club we all support irrespective of whether we have ponied up money for memberships at this particular point in time.
                    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TheLoneRooster View Post
                      I don't know about anyone else but that article was very poorly written and for me detracted from what could have been an excellent read. Nevertheless, I took from it that Mr Smith talks a good talk and has been able to see through to the core issues that need fixing at the Roosters. Hopeful times ahead for the club we all support irrespective of whether we have ponied up money for memberships at this particular point in time.
                      I had to read some of the bits a couple of times and they did not make sense. I thought it was me....

Comment

Originally posted by JohnL View Post
                        Most of them have to work hard to get to the point of being a first grader though. Maybe luck does not come so much into it.
                        Agree, you don't make First Grade on luck

Comment

what he said.

Comment

You're right - and I said from the beginning, they do work a lot harder than we think. But to get there, to a position where you play a game that you love, and make more money than most people, and to throw that away for a night on the drink shows a serious lack of appreciation for the chance they've got.

Comment

Working...
                            X