Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jollyjock View Post
    Maggie
    He will probably end up starting the season at Newtown as he will not be fit enough to run out in FG
    He won't be anywhere near Newtown either.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tobin View Post
      He won't be anywhere near Newtown either.
      Little do you know...

WE'VE managed to find a club that's cock-a-hoop to re-ignite the career of idle Rooster Willie Mason - the Newtown Jets.

Mason famously wore a Bluebags jersey in April after he was dropped to NSW Cup for breaking the Roosters' alcohol policy.

And now, with the former Test prop just 11 days away from a return to training, the Jets have again offered to adopt Mason on the Roosters' behalf.

"If the Roosters did decide to send Willie here, we'd be more than happy to have him back,'' said Newtown director Terry Rowney.

"Willie was absolutely great when he trained and played for us last season. He was no different to any of the other boys.''

Forcing Mason back to Henson Park would be a tempting option for the Roosters should the 29-year-old fail to find another NRL home before his leave expires on January 11.

Although the Bondi club is committed to paying Mason $400,000 next season, it appears certain that new coach Brian Smith has no plans to use him in first grade.

Comment

Originally posted by spanner View Post
        Little do you know...

WE'VE managed to find a club that's cock-a-hoop to re-ignite the career of idle Rooster Willie Mason - the Newtown Jets.

Mason famously wore a Bluebags jersey in April after he was dropped to NSW Cup for breaking the Roosters' alcohol policy.

And now, with the former Test prop just 11 days away from a return to training, the Jets have again offered to adopt Mason on the Roosters' behalf.

"If the Roosters did decide to send Willie here, we'd be more than happy to have him back,'' said Newtown director Terry Rowney.

"Willie was absolutely great when he trained and played for us last season. He was no different to any of the other boys.''

Forcing Mason back to Henson Park would be a tempting option for the Roosters should the 29-year-old fail to find another NRL home before his leave expires on January 11.

Although the Bondi club is committed to paying Mason $400,000 next season, it appears certain that new coach Brian Smith has no plans to use him in first grade.
        There's the catch..

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
          There's the catch..
          They have to attempt to play him somewhere,or run the risk of a restraint of trade suit...

Comment

They have to attempt to play him somewhere,or run the risk of a restraint of trade suit...
            I think thats a silly comment. Restraint of Trade ?
            They are paying him and I would imagine they don't have to play him.
            If it comes down to that, they can send him to park football
            The Internet is a place for posting silly things
            Try and be serious and you will look stupid
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
              I think thats a silly comment. Restraint of Trade ?
              They are paying him and I would imagine they don't have to play him.
              If it comes down to that, they can send him to park football
              How is it a silly comment?It is headed the same way souffs did with Joe Galuvao fiasco.
              Crowe told Galuvao to go and buy a church instead of playing for souffs.After legal advise,souffs had to play Joe with their feeder club in the Brisbane comp at the time,until he finally agreed on a release to join Parra.
              Our feeder club is Newtown...
              Try imagining something closer to fact next time Kb...

Comment

How is it a silly comment?It is headed the same way souffs did with Joe Galuvao fiasco.
                Crowe told Galuvao to go and buy a church instead of playing for souffs.After legal advise,souffs had to play Joe with their feeder club in the Brisbane comp at the time,until he finally agreed on a release to join Parra.
                Were Souths going to continue to pay Galuvau his contract to sit out the seaon though?

Seems like that is what JT is saying.
                Loved by few, hated by many, respected by all.

Comment

It was a silly comment and there is no restriction of trade, they are letting him go and play for someone else.
                  There is no restriction of trade, they pay him and tell him he isn't good enough, Smith did it at Newcastle.
                  The Internet is a place for posting silly things
                  Try and be serious and you will look stupid
                  sigpic

Comment

Isn't there a NSW Bundaberg Cup side we can palm him off to? I'm sure any of them would love to have him and that would keep him away from daily contact with the Roosters and the Jets players.

Maybe his mate Wendall can put in a good word to the side he played with in Shellharbour.

That way he's playing and being paid. So contract is fulfilled.

NC
                    Supporting the RW&B, through good times and bad times.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingbilly View Post
                      It was a silly comment and there is no restriction of trade, they are letting him go and play for someone else.
                      There is no restriction of trade, they pay him and tell him he isn't good enough, Smith did it at Newcastle.
                      No he did not.
                      I believe you are refering to the Reynoldson case,where Smith had him still training with the first grade squad,but failed to select him for a any of the last seven games in first grade to stop his contract extension clause.
                      Reynoldson still played reserve grade throughout that period...
                      Mason has been granted leave of absent until Jan 11.
                      Why do you think the club hasn`t just told Willie to go away forever fullstop?
                      You obviously have never seen a contract to know the obligations of both parties...

Comment

That's not what happened at all with Galuvao. Crowe wanted him to retire and therefore his contract would not count against the cap. Galuvao refused to retire as he wanted to keep playing after his Souths contract expired... The club has given Mason the opportunity to go elsewhere but he has declined contracts in the ESL.. We have not asked him to retire.
                        Last edited by Cockadoodledoo; 01-03-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockadoodledoo View Post
                          That's not what happened at all with Galuvao. Crowe wanted him to retire and therefore his contract would not count against the cap. Galuvao refused to retire as he wanted to keep playing after his Souths contract expired...
                          Joe still had 12 months to go on his contract when Crowe wanted him to buy a church,but Joe stuck to his his current contract,which is why he was sent to their feeder club...

Comment

Since when is it Crowes descision for a contracted player to retire?Here is the media reported story to what happened... SOUTHS first tried to encourage big Joe Galuvao to quit football and become a minister - yesterday they dumped him to the Queensland Cup but did not get around to telling him.

The relationship between Galuvao and the Rabbitohs soured further yesterday when the four-Test Kiwi was told to pack his bags and see out the year with feeder club Brisbane Easts.

But in a sign of the deterioration of communication between Souths and Galuvao, The Daily Telegraph last night was the first to inform the former Panthers star of his selection for Brisbane Easts this weekend.

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson last night insisted he had informed the second-rower of his demotion.

But the deeply religious Galuvao fired back: "So, what is he saying . . . that I'm a liar?"

Seeking space under the salary cap to snare Roosters flyer Amos Roberts, Souths have been trying to offload Galuvao for the six weeks.

Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe last month suggested Galuvao join the ministry, and the 2003 premiership winner is convinced yesterday's move is further evidence the club is going all-out to make him quit the last 15 months of his $350,000-a-year deal.

"It's pretty obvious what they are trying to do . . . they want me out of there," a shattered Galuvao said.

"Cronulla have done the same thing, making Josh Hannay and Brett Seymour play park football.

"At the moment I feel a bit shallow about what's going on. I'm angered."

Galuvao – who turned 29 on Sunday – said it was "too soon" to decide his next move.

The former Panthers star met Souths CEO Shane Richardson yesterday morning, but emerged from those discussions convinced he would not play Queensland Cup until 2008.

When The Daily Telegraph told Galuvao that Easts officials were expecting him to line up at Langlands Park on Saturday, he sheepishly replied: "That's news to me.

"I thought I would be playing with North Sydney (the Rabbitohs' NSWRL feeder team). I've spoken with Shane Richardson and he told me nothing about it.

"I had factored going to Queensland next year – not next week."

Richardson maintained he made it clear during the meeting that Galuvao would head to Brisbane "this week".

"Joe must not have listened closely enough," he added.

"I don't know why he said that . . . there was no question about it."

Richardson admitted Galuvao was "not in our coaching staff's plans going forward", but denied the Brisbane move was a strong-arm tactic to force him out.

"We could have made him play in the park for Kingsford . . . the Queensland Cup is a high standard competition," Richardson said.

"We've got a lot of good young back-rowers at the club and the coaching staff want to have a look at them in Premier League (for Norths)."

Easts coach Michael Booth confirmed the side's "star recruit" was expected to report for training on Thursday night.

"There's a motel 200m from our ground, so we'll probably put him up there," Booth said.

"He will also be fed down at the club – all of that would have been worked out."

But Galuvao gave no guarantees he'd play.

"It's all pretty raw at the moment," he said. "I've not really sat down with my wife and talked about this stuff.

"I don't know what I'm going to do."

If Galuvao should continue, Richardson assured fans the club could accommodate both him and new signing Craig Wing under next season's cap
                            Last edited by spanner; 01-03-2010, 10:44 PM.

Comment

There is no restraint of trade. The club is under no obligation to select him to play. They can keep paying him to sit on the side line if they choose too. I still think the Shellharbour reference wont be far off when its all said and done. I think he will link with Bennett.

Comment

GMan, maybe we can trade Willy to St George for a hooker and outside back!?!
                                Written and published on behalf of the Liberal Party, Queensland

Comment

Working...
                                X