Carney too Fullback it's a Done Deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chookies74 View Post
    Carney at Fullback - I think that the game has started to change the last couple of years, where you saw Slater, Hunt and Gidley often be used as a second playmaker. I think Smith will use Carney to do this as well, the benefit being that he is better than those stated above, and as such we should have a bit of success, I expect to see Mini on the end of a lot of Carney grubbers as the year progresses.

Anasta - He is a ballplayer, IF our pack can hardenthe****up, which I expect it too, this creates a bit of TIME, and then Smith will get some guys running into holes, ie Cherro, Symonds, then Anasta will go alright.

BUT GIVE THEN SOME TIME, ie 10 WEEKS.
    Anasta is a ball runner, he is not in the class of the best halves in the comp as a ball player.. He struggles to pass the ball from left to right.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Rhodes View Post

As for Anasta, he has played lock many times for the dogs before .
      9 out of 110 games played for the dogs, braith started at Lock.

Delecto Oriens est odio Meridianus
      To love Easts is to hate Souffs

Originally posted by Bill Shankley, Liverpool FC
      At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques.
      Originally posted by Andy Raymond Commentating Souffs V Manly 18/04/09
      The fireworks at the Easter show are making more noise than the crowd tonight

Comment

Carney at Fullback - I think that the game has started to change the last couple of years, where you saw Slater, Hunt and Gidley often be used as a second playmaker. I think Smith will use Carney to do this as well, the benefit being that he is better than those stated above, and as such we should have a bit of success, I expect to see Mini on the end of a lot of Carney grubbers as the year progresses.

Anasta - He is a ballplayer, IF our pack can hardenthe****up, which I expect it too, this creates a bit of TIME, and then Smith will get some guys running into holes, ie Cherro, Symonds, then Anasta will go alright.

Carney is better than Slater or Gidley?
        Man, you are gonna be in for one shock come test and origin time.

I guess that's one of the few benefits of Carney at fullback, we won't miss him to rep football if he plays fullback. Buckleys chance of him representing at fullback.

Comment

Originally posted by supermario View Post
          9 out of 110 games played for the dogs, braith started at Lock.
          Well that's 9 better than 0 (Carney at FB) so that's something. I would have thought it was more though. Anyways, Modern 5/8th and locks play similar.
          Last edited by Rocky Rhodes; 01-11-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I'm more than happy for Anasta to play 5/8th. Close to the best halves pairing in the comp in 08, when the team and coaches actually cared.

For my own sanity, I shouldn't, but I have big expectations this year, regardless of whether Anasta or Carney plays 5/8th. Smith will have the team firing and ready to have a good go at the premiership.

Comment

Well that's 9 better than 0 (Carney at FB) so that's something. I would have thought it was more though. Anyways, Modern 5/8th and locks play similar.
              The role of the modern five-eighth and lock depends on the playing structure that the coaching staff have created. Some clubs use a workhorse lock and others use a ball-playing lock. The big difference though if Anasta is to play lock is his ability to try and create plays in the middle of the park. He could also be the link man between the halfback and the five-eighth on a long shift which could definitely happen after watching the way Newcastle played last season. Smith will bring an expansive game and Anasta will have the ability to fill in and take some of the responsibility off the halves. Simple as that. And it could very well work in our favour IMO.

Comment

If Anasta is a ball player then Freddy is a super coach.
                Born and bred in the eastern suburbs.

Comment

Just bring the season on.....

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike View Post
                    Tries off kicks, to be so cynical to the point of blindness is nothing short of annoying.

It seems that the only way a player can get recognition from you is if he wins the dally m, a premiership and a golden boot. Nobody is comparing him to thurston or even hayne (who I think is a little overrated) however there are some great positives about Braith especially considering that he is playing in a terrible system. Through that golden run we had, everyone was on his nutsack from other players and ex players to various league experts. It even led to him playing origin even though many people have him on the outer in that regard.

..... But hey if Internet experts think otherwise then he really must be THAT poor.

Who was that NFL coach with this great quote - 'the day you start listening to the people in the stand is the day you will be sitting with them' ?

I'm no more an Internet expert than you are Mike

And I don't think Anasta is a poor player at all, but I do think he's too slow to be the 5/8 that we need. Reminds me a lot of Brendon Hall, who I think would have been a rep player in his day, if only he'd had 2 more yards of pace. I'm also struggling to understand the logic in paying big money for a 5/8 like Carney, and then electing to try and turn him into a fullback

But I hope I'm wrong Mike, and if Anasta is picked at 5/8, I hope he goes great

Comment

Originally posted by Tries Off Kicks View Post
                      I'm no more an Internet expert than you are Mike

And I don't think Anasta is a poor player at all, but I do think he's too slow to be the 5/8 that we need. Reminds me a lot of Brendon Hall, who I think would have been a rep player in his day, if only he'd had 2 more yards of pace. I'm also struggling to understand the logic in paying big money for a 5/8 like Carney, and then electing to try and turn him into a fullback

But I hope I'm wrong Mike, and if Anasta is picked at 5/8, I hope he goes great
                      I think thats the thing for most of us. We just want the team to be competitive and restore pride.

The thing with Smith is he likes his teams to be versatile. He's never really coached a team that relied on one player ala us with Freddie, the Knights with Joey etc. So he spreads responsibility throughout the team. There was a game last year where the Knights lost Mullen in the first 5 minutes, but went on to play some excellent footy and win. If we lost Pearce/Anasta in the last couple of seasons we wouldn't have been able to cope.

With this in mind, if Carney doesn't cope with fullback I'm sure there will be a back up plan which will probably see him go to 6 and Anasta to 13. And I'm equally certain that Carney and Anasta would be training in these positions at different times as well.

Comment

Carney is better than Slater or Gidley?
                        Man, you are gonna be in for one shock come test and origin time.

I guess that's one of the few benefits of Carney at fullback, we won't miss him to rep football if he plays fullback. Buckleys chance of him representing at fullback.
                        I meant as a ball playing fullback, not as a standard fullback where Slater is outstanding.
                        Carney's passing and kicking game is way better than Slater's. Bellamy uses Slater as a 2nd ballplayer, not often, but as a variation to get the defence stopping/standing still. I think Smith is trying to do the same with Carney.

Anasta on the blindside, Jnr in the middle, Carney floating in/our/around, wherever. We aren't going to be a gun side, but we'll look 'more likely' to score than we have since early 2008.

Comment

I meant as a ball playing fullback, not as a standard fullback where Slater is outstanding.
                          Carney's passing and kicking game is way better than Slater's. Bellamy uses Slater as a 2nd ballplayer, not often, but as a variation to get the defence stopping/standing still. I think Smith is trying to do the same with Carney.

Anasta on the blindside, Jnr in the middle, Carney floating in/our/around, wherever. We aren't going to be a gun side, but we'll look 'more likely' to score than we have since early 2008.
                          Good summation Chookie.

Comment

Originally posted by footy View Post
                            The role of the modern five-eighth and lock depends on the playing structure that the coaching staff have created. Some clubs use a workhorse lock and others use a ball-playing lock. The big difference though if Anasta is to play lock is his ability to try and create plays in the middle of the park. He could also be the link man between the halfback and the five-eighth on a long shift which could definitely happen after watching the way Newcastle played last season. Smith will bring an expansive game and Anasta will have the ability to fill in and take some of the responsibility off the halves. Simple as that. And it could very well work in our favour IMO.
                            That's awesome Gus, I'm flabbergasted.

Comment

Fair enough, i thought you couldn't be serious.

But what's this obsession with a ball playing fullback, it's about as useful as an organizing winger. IMO, in attack the fullback just should hit the holes, score the tries and knowing how to pass if necessary. But ball playing is a total waste for a fullback imo. That should be left to the halfs or a forward.

Carney's passing and kicking game is way better than Slater's
                              That's why Carney should be in the half's, not fullback.
                              Last edited by Rocky Rhodes; 01-12-2010, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Fair enough, i thought you couldn't be serious.

But what's this obsession with a ball playing fullback, it's about as useful as an organizing winger. IMO, in attack the fullback just should hit the holes, score the tries and knowing how to pass if necessary. But ball playing is a total waste for a fullback imo. That should be left to the halfs or a forward.

Darren Lockyer was terrific in this type of role and gave any team he played in, an extra dimension in attack
                                That's why Carney should be in the half's, not fullback.

Why can't Carney kick from fullback?

Just my thoughts

Comment

Working...
                                X