• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carney too Fullback it's a Done Deal

Carney to be another Gidley

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225817657437
    By James Phelps From: The Sunday Telegraph January 09, 2010 11:18PM

New fullback ... Brian Smith is planning to slot new recruit Todd Carney (centre) into the fullback posiiton for 2010. Photograph: Gregg Porteous Source: The Sunday Telegraph

ROOSTERS coach Brian Smith believes former Canberra Raiders bad boy Todd Carney can be his new Kurt Gidley as he prepares to make the first major gamble at his new club.

With the NRL trials less than a month away, the former Country five-eighth will start the season at fullback, pushing former Test No. 1 Anthony Minichiello to the wing. That will allow Smith to keep Braith Anasta and Mitchell Pearce in the halves.

Following another week of controversy for Carney, Smith last week unveiled his new role for the star recruit, before predicting Anasta and Pearce would become one of the most formidable halves pairings in the NRL.

"We tossed up playing Toddy at No. 1 right from the start and he is willing to give it a crack," Smith said. "He played a little bit as a junior but he has played no senior football there.

"He has a lot of attributes that a good fullback needs and if he can master that position it will give us a great balance. And it keeps the halfback pairing of Anasta and Pearce together, and I think they have been as good as any in the competition."

Smith also said he would not be taking a hard-line approach with Carney, who is facing disciplinary action for allegedly burning a friend's trousers with a flaming aerosol can while in Airlie Beach on New Year's Eve.

"From what I've seen of him, he's one of those fellows that is the life of the party," Smith said. "He's always going to be full-on entertainment and he is a really likeable character. He has really settled in well with everyone and we all enjoy his company.

"He has some real issues which he is dealing with, but if he gets on top of them then the world is his oyster. I don't think it's my role to (get out the stick). Todd is aware of the situation and he is a full-grown man. He knows where he is at and he is getting some good advice from the right people and I think that he will develop as a man as the season goes on."

The Roosters have just completed a major cleanout, with 10 players moving on after a shocking season 2009 that saw them claim the wooden spoon. With five new players, including Carney and former Test prop Jason Ryles, Smith is predicting a quick turnaround for the club he was employed to save.

In his biggest decision since quitting the Knights, Smith will give Carney an unrestricted playmaking licence from fullback. "He will be a free agent," Smith said. "He can work within a system but also has that individual flair which can make things happen. He will bob up where he sees fit and it is something Kurt (Gidley) did well for us at Newcastle.

"Todd is a bit more of a halfback-based player than Kurt, but they can play a similar role." Smith hopes the bold gamble will help the injury-plagued Minichiello prolong his career. "There was a bit of that in the thinking," Smith said. "But I just think Mini will become an outstanding winger. I watched him play there last year and he was just about the best player on the field."

Smith will call on the club's senior players to set a platform for the team, which has been stripped to the bone. During a meeting with Smith late last year, Anasta, Pearce, Minichiello, Nate Myles and Sam Perrett asked him to overhaul team structures and plays used in 2009.

"We had a bit of a chat with the players in what way they felt was the best to go and they wanted a bit of a fresh approach with play calls because they felt it was a good opportunity to refresh themselves," Smith said.

Hmm interesting I'm not sure whether it will work but I can understand the need to get our captain into the side. Anasta could have played lock but imho that would have upset the balance of the forward pack. We need 2 forwards to average 30 - 40 tackles a game and without Fitzy we need someone in the backrow to do be one of those. I suspect Mitch Aubusson at lock and James Aubusson at hooker to be the ones carrying the defensive burden in our pack.

Side shaping up like this

Carney
    Minichiello
    Graham
    Perrett
    Kenny Dowall
    Anasta
    Pearce
    Morbs
    Symonds
    Myles
    Paea
    Jorbs
    Ryles

FPN
    Waera Hargreaves
    Cherrington
    Jones

Comment

So if the past few weeks are an example....the media have no idea and just make it up as they go along so reading between the lines, he is not playing anywhere like fullback....

BUT....

In saying that its something that most of us feel would not be the best for the team, so it could very well become true.....

..Oh I am so confused....

Comment

Who knows it is by James Phelps who has a pretty shocking record.

Get this the above article says

Smith also said he would not be taking a hard-line approach with Carney, who is facing disciplinary action for allegedly burning a friend's trousers with a flaming aerosol can while in Airlie Beach on New Year's Eve.

Yet in the same paper we get the following article

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1225817679588

Brian Smith blasts errant Todd Carney
        By James Hooper and Jessica Halloran From: The Sunday Telegraph January 10, 2010
        Source: The Sunday Telegraph

NEW Sydney Roosters coach Brian Smith served up a both barrels version of the riot act to serial off-field offender Todd Carney last Monday.

We hear the spray was so severe it had the paint peeling off the walls at the club's SFS headquarters. When Smith was finished, senior players Braith Anasta, Anthony Minichiello and Nate Myles stepped in.

Carney's response was a pledge to quit drinking for 12 months.

It sounds good in theory and we seriously hope the talented playmaker sticks to his guns, but let's face it - it's not going to be an easy ride.

One of the most vocal members of the Roosters' senior playing group was fellow serial offender Myles, who explained the perils associated with being branded a "ratbag''.

The Queensland State of Origin forward has ridden the roller-coaster of public humiliation and is another Rooster who has sworn off alcohol in a bid to improve his life.

If there's one club in desperate need of an extreme makeover, both off the field and on it, then it's last year's wooden-spooners.

We're backing respected chairman Nick Politis and senior stars such as Anasta and Minichiello, along with new coach Smith, to help turn the club around.

Comment

*bangs head repeatedly against nearby wall and then walks down to the TAB and plonks a couple of hundred on us for the spoon*

Comment

I am not trying to be facetious, but Carney vows to give up grog for a year??....

Hasn't past records proven to this guy that he should never touch a drop of it as long as he lives...what the hell is a year going to do........

I take back every word I said on the subject of Carney in Airlie Beach....I was following the media lead, and had no idea, just like them, but in saying that, I know it will only be a matter of time before something bad happens to this dude....his head is not in the right place.......and that, and a big money contract are a dangerous and occasionally lethal mix........

Comment

Giving up the grog for a year eh... does he have the discipline to do it?

On a side note, telling the media that he's given up grog is a sure fire way to set himself up for failure. Now if he gets caught having a sip of beer its back page news.

Comment

Originally posted by rcptn View Post
                Smith will call on the club's senior players to set a platform for the team, which has been stripped to the bone. During a meeting with Smith late last year, Anasta, Pearce, Minichiello, Nate Myles and Sam Perrett asked him to overhaul team structures and plays used in 2009.

I like it.. like it alot. Does it show that the players weren't happy with the gameplan being used? Maybe Pearce's inside balls are gone as a first lol

On Carney at FB... I would personally have Carney at 5/8 BUT I can see it working. He could kill it there.

Comment

Originally posted by phantom View Post
                  I am not trying to be facetious, but Carney vows to give up grog for a year??....

....I was following the media lead
                  No offence Phantom but this info is from the MEDIA.

Giving up the grog completely is very difficult to do even if you don't get into strife with it. I have given up a few times when I train for fun runs and there is not much fun in it. It is boring but it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnL View Post
                    No offence Phantom but this info is from the MEDIA.

Giving up the grog completely is very difficult to do even if you don't get into strife with it. I have given up a few times when I train for fun runs and there is not much fun in it. It is boring but it can be done.
                    I know quite a few fella's some of whom are relos that have not touched a drop in years....
                    We all still have wonderful times, and skylarking is even involved regularly.....and they say they do not miss it one bit.....but that their lives were different when they did drink...

Obviously some people handle substances of all sorts differently to others....

I can have a drink once or month or so, and not worry when or if I will have another......but food is my addiction, or more importantly, bad food...a habit I am trying to break....so I understand why it is so hard to give up something that one craves....but sooner or later we all have to decide what is more important, whether that be health, family, work or other, and take a stand....

And this young man obviously has a problem with it, so the choice really should be an easy one......in theory.....putting it to pratice may take a lot more effort, and occasionally even things such as rehab, but ultimately there is only one person that can put it into effect....

and one thing I will say, is that if someone is truelly ready to give something up, it is not difficult at all.....
                    I gave up smoking after 22 years of a pretty heavy habit, because I knew I was ready, and if you dont have that mindset in the first place it will never be easy and there is always the chance of failure....

Comment

1. Carney
                      2. Minichiello
                      3. Graham
                      4. Perrett
                      5. Kenny-Dowal/Williamson (if Williamson, shift Graham or Perrett to wing)
                      6. Anasta
                      7. Pearce
                      8. Ryles
                      9. J Aubusson
                      10. Paea
                      11. Cherrington
                      12. Myles
                      13. M Aubusson

14. Jones/Kouparitsas
                      15. Symonds
                      16. Waerea-Hargreaves
                      17. Nuuausala

He is right about Carney at fullback giving the halves and pack better balance, but it does leave the issue of genuine fullbacks Minichiello and Perrett both playing elsewhere in the backline, moved to accommodate someone who is only being trialled there.

Comment

The team looks deadly in attack on paper.......we have all the tools, defence out wide still looks an issue and Carney cleaning up and field positional skills at fullback are an unknown, high total points in our matches me thinks.

Comment

I don't think it will work...Mini should be the fullback or Perrett and Carney is a 5/8...

Comment

so is it true Todd Carney is releasing a remake of that famous tune" goodness gracious great balls of fire?"

Comment

I thought the Roosters had been there and done that as far as experimenting was concerned???
                              I have very strong doubts about Carney at 1 and think that the existing halves pairing of Anasta and Pearce is too much of the same thing which suggests putting Carney at 6 to mix things up a bit would be a smart move.
                              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X